Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 06:36   #31

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Catalina 30 & My first boaters sin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I hope, that in a year we'll be looking at something much much larger to move onto!
Given this information I would say don't buy it, save the coin for the larger upgrade!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:42   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Day View Post
A fellow CEO once said to me that a bad decision is better than no decision. At least you get on with it and change tack if required.
I received similar advice once. I had a CEO that I really admired his style and success. I had a discussion with him once, over coffee. He said he "Never makes rash decisions without good information but he also doesn't waste time. He gets all the information he can concerning the subject matter, makes the best decision he can with the info given and then he never looks back!" He never wasted time bemoaning decisions because he knew he made the best decision he could at the time.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:43   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I use a different method. Offer half the asking price (or less). Then the seller can decide for you. I've bought several boats this way.
I really like this! I believe I will be using this early next month on a boat I am a little on the fence about.
Old 13-05-2017, 12:07   #34

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I use a different method. Offer half the asking price (or less). Then the seller can decide for you. I've bought several boats this way.
Interesting. When somebody lowballs me I don't respond and permanently terminate negotiations.

Some people things said about the C30 caught my attention. It is well suited for single handed sailing- I know I've logged thousands of miles single hand. Everything is led aft except the anchor. Aside from anchoring there's not much cause to leave the cockpit.

As a single father my kid was brought up on the c30 on weekends and vacations. No problems. Keep them busy and safe and have them at 2yo in the cockpit "helping"

Now also armed with a wife and both of us about 6' we find the v berth long enough but tight to slide into and out of since we keep the insert in place. The aft berth is over 7' so should be plenty long enough.

Returning to the OP. I bought my c30 some 23 years ago. The second season an elderly gent introduced himself say he just got a c25 and asked to look at my c30. Long story short he had a c30 the next season, we became best pals and sailed all over the area with our sister ships until he passed.

Go get that c30 with diesel. You won't regret it.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:06   #35

I would sleep in the aft berth by myself. No way two people are sleeping with any level of comfort under the cockpit floor and steering box. The word coffin comes to my mind. But that will be where my son sleeps anyways. Plenty of space for him. For two sleeping together on the C30, we prefer the drop down double berth in the salon. The v berth is relegated to storage, which, let's face it, is not the greatest attribute for this boat. I guess sleeping comfort is very subjective.

Perhaps my phrasing of the single-handling ability was taken out of context. It can be single-handed. I never said it couldn't. But there are rigs and cockpits better designed for the task.
mbhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhouston View Post
The word coffin comes to my mind.
As one of my buddies said, "Now I know what sleeping in a match box feels like."
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
As one of my buddies said, "Now I know what sleeping in a match box feels like."

And tent manufacturers call a tent with 51 inches of width a two person tent. Boat manufacturers must use similar dimensions.
Old 17-05-2017, 12:45   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhouston View Post
I would sleep in the aft berth by myself. No way two people are sleeping with any level of comfort under the cockpit floor and steering box. The word coffin comes to my mind. But that will be where my son sleeps anyways. Plenty of space for him. For two sleeping together on the C30, we prefer the drop down double berth in the salon. The v berth is relegated to storage, which, let's face it, is not the greatest attribute for this boat. I guess sleeping comfort is very subjective.

Perhaps my phrasing of the single-handling ability was taken out of context. It can be single-handed. I never said it couldn't. But there are rigs and cockpits better designed for the task.
I had a 31 SR the forward berths where aptly called coffins. WTF sleeping doesn't need tp be a palace.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:08   #39

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The C30 is huge compared to some other boats.

We were ready to put in an offer on a Bavaria 39CC until wife actually got in it and declared she couldn't stand up straight in the galley.

The C30 forward, starboard, and aft berth are some 7' long. Some of the larger boats we've looked at the berths are no good for anyone over 5.5'.

I can lay out flat in the C30 cockpit. Can't do that on a Jeanneau 40.

One big problem with the C30 is that, at least in my experience, the favorite place to sit below decks is immediately in front of the chart table, legs stretching across the walkway with feet over the motor, which impedes traffic. As many times as I tell the kids (and wife!) to MOVE they are right back there again. I do it too, but only when nobody is around (yeah, right.)

The real problem is for those who want to sleep together in the V berth with the insert installed. That leaves a narrow opening to slide in and out, with nothing to hold on to. I used to lean on the head doorknob until I sheared it off and discovered that the replacement is $75.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:33   #40

Boat: Carver 356

I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'7" and we never had any problems sleeping in the v-berth on our 30. We even had some occasions to sleep in the quarter berth as well. While the inside person was squeezed in kind of tight under the cockpit floor, the berth was very long and plenty wide enough for the two of us. We tried sleeping on the dinette once, but being less than 6', it was very uncomfortable for me not being able to stretch out.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 14:28   #41

I'm enjoying the responses, it is amazing how different we all interpret the same space.

I think for us, and especially my wife, we like the more open feeling of the main salon. She does not like the closed in feeling of the v-berth, nor the aft berth. No fault of the C30, it is big for the size boat and would be the same problem on most boats up to 40+ft that we could afford.

That's ok, we are newbie sailors still marrying expectations with reality.
Old 17-05-2017, 14:54   #42

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I will echo the other comments, I loved my C30. If I was to own a second boat, one just for day sailing, it would be a C30. The other great thing about them, the support that you get from other owners. With the internet, if you have a problem, somebody else has had the same problem and posted the solution online. Also, there's usually enough around that when racing, they have their own class, head to head, first boat over the finish line is the winner.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 15:42   #43

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
I will echo the other comments, I loved my C30. If I was to own a second boat, one just for day sailing, it would be a C30. The other great thing about them, the support that you get from other owners. With the internet, if you have a problem, somebody else has had the same problem and posted the solution online.
I've spent a lot of time on the Catalina 34 owners website and the support given on that site is amazing.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 00:34   #44

Boat: C30 Catalina

HA! I'm doing the EXACT same thing!
I own a 27' catalina that I stay on a few days a week for the last year and told the wife if I like it in a year I'll buy a bigger boat.... Well the years up!

I looked at a 30' Catalina that was just reduced from 20K to 15K and I asked the broker if he would take 10K and he said Oh Yes! The owner moved to Hawaii. I looked at it and wanted to look at one more boat before I decided. This boat is beautiful and has more in extras than any other boat I had looked at before. By the time I got to the other boat I was texted that it was sold.

Last week I got a call that the guy that made to offer couldn't get the slip he wanted.

I offered 9500 and it was accepted.
Can't wait to do the sea trial and survey!
2xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 04:57   #45

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcrash View Post
I looked at a 30' Catalina that was just reduced from 20K to 15K...
...I offered 9500 and it was accepted.
Well done! That's how to do it! I bet you got a great boat! Enjoy!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, boat