Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 19:03   #31

Boat: Camper & Nicholson 42
Send a message via Skype™ to sailorjg
Re: Camper & Nicholson 42

Interesting what you say about the steering. We never had these issues. The steering is solid rod with universal joints from the wheel to the rudder head, so no cables, pulleys, etc. Rudder is quite large and well balanced. Would have been interesting to see what was wrong with this one. By any chance was this one sailing to Australia from the Med? There aren't many of these, only 14 made and I was able to track down about 6 of them.
We found it a very comfortable cruiser, well appointed but lacking in modern touches which most owners have added or converted. Especially liked the integrated moulded head and shower fore and aft. Didn't like the guillotine doors but converted those. Loved the engine, Perkins 4-236, strong and reliable.
We had 8 great years of cruising the west coast of Mexico and Central America, through the canal and back. Ours was a ketch and was easy to manage with 2 'older' crew...
sailorjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 08:48   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

This one was indeed sailing from the Med but I do not know where to. Onwed by a couple about 50/60 years old. English speaking and English flag. I did not spot AUS accent in any of them.

Dark blue hull but not gelcoat. Possibly awl.

I too was surprised with how she went - as I saw her first on the hard and remembered her rudder to be nothing out of ordinary in that era of boats. And yes she was a bit too voluminous forward but then again nothing out of how UK-influenced designs looked back then.

One simple explanation would be plenty of chain in that locker (my guess) and also the gear on the davits and arch - there was a dinghy there, a radar and if I remember well also a windgen and solar panels ...

So maybe just plenty of load in the far ends combined with both chain and the stern gear being so far off the waterline. Boats do not like load in the ends, and especially boats with such long overhangs.

I am used to rod steering being best thing in the world with wheels, so clearly there was no fault there.

And indeed very easy boat on the crew - easy to move about, dunk below, comfortable to sit in the cockpit. Everything. A fine package. I like Nicholsons' interiors - many people say they are too cramped, but I say they are good for seagoing - no vast empty spaces to fly across and plenty of very well placed handholds.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 06:46   #33

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

No there definitely are not, I'm pretty sure I've looked at everyone ever built colour.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 14:16   #34

Boat: C&C 41, Nemesis

SailorJG and anyone else!

Thanks for all the info on the Camper Nicholson 42. Would you be able to post a bit about all your overall experiences on that specific vessel?

I’m looking at a 1976 In Brisbane Australia, but still find VERY limited information about the boat, it’s sailing and motoring characters, the hood bad and ugly on the 42, what you would change from your time aboard, and what did you change?

From you blog (first season read) I noticed issues pointing her into the wind from berths, etc.

Turns out we were almost crossing paths on the West Coast of Mexico, we did Sea of Cortez in 2008 in my previous C&c41!

Thanks again for any help you can provide and posting it on here will leave it for subsequent searches years from now!

If you still have the specific files on the 42, let me know and you can send them via email?

Thanks again,
CaptStarboard
Jeff
CaptStarboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 14:22   #35

Boat: C&C 41, Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjg View Post
Interesting what you say about the steering. We never had these issues. The steering is solid rod with universal joints from the wheel to the rudder head, so no cables, pulleys, etc. Rudder is quite large and well balanced. Would have been interesting to see what was wrong with this one. By any chance was this one sailing to Australia from the Med? There aren't many of these, only 14 made and I was able to track down about 6 of them.
We found it a very comfortable cruiser, well appointed but lacking in modern touches which most owners have added or converted. Especially liked the integrated moulded head and shower fore and aft. Didn't like the guillotine doors but converted those. Loved the engine, Perkins 4-236, strong and reliable.
We had 8 great years of cruising the west coast of Mexico and Central America, through the canal and back. Ours was a ketch and was easy to manage with 2 'older' crew...
Hi SailorJG,

I think I’m looking at the Med to AUSTRALIA C&N42, was a guy named Barry?

Please also see my previous post to you on boat details, sailing and motoring characteristics, etc.

Ta,
CaptStarboard
CaptStarboard is offline   Reply With Quote