Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 05:20   #61

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: BoatUS wants 3 people on board while cruising in Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes View Post
I have only used Boat US to tow my boat once. We were in Avalon on Catalina island. Engine broke, could have sailed, but had dead batteries, so would have been without lights, or instruments. Needed to get to Oceanside, Ca. where the Yanmar mechanic was. This was about a 50 mile tow, all it cost was a signature on the paperwork. I asked the tow boat driver what it would have cost, he told me about $2500 to $3000.

I was very satisfied with the price of the insurance, and we are still insured by them 5 years later.
They do have limits, and I stay within them.

I'd say this is worth it's own thread. Get towed home from CATALINA rather than sail? Oh boy. Dead batteries. BS. You're saying ya couldn't have borrowed a battery, or slept over, and sailed to oceanside, ca in daylight without instruments? This is a joke, right?

This kind of non-seamanship boggles the mind. I'd say you might want to stop telling this story, Captain.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 05:30   #62

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Ho ho!

Some take off to sea to be independent and self reliant.

Others cannot cut the umbilical cord with their western nanny state and will be stuffed when beyond cellphone range. So they get a sat phone, more insurance, epirbs, plb, etc.

It is very amusing and disappointing at the same time.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 07:39   #63

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Re: BoatUS wants 3 people on board while cruising in Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Ho ho!

Some take off to sea to be independent and self reliant.

Others cannot cut the umbilical cord with their western nanny state and will be stuffed when beyond cellphone range. So they get a sat phone, more insurance, epirbs, plb, etc.

It is very amusing and disappointing at the same time.
I find your perspective curious. While I understand and sympathize with your inclination toward individualism- it is an instinct common to those driven to the sailing lifestyle- we all know, or should know, of very fine sailors on well equipped vessels lost at sea. Not carrying an EPIRB or PLB, or other safety equipment, to the extent affordable, is foolish at least if you place significant value on your life.

No matter how prepared and experienced one is, nature is simply stronger. There are two alternatives - either your believe you are invincible, in which case my time will likely not be well spent convincing you otherwise, or you would prefer to "go down with the ship" and not be rescued should such events transpire. In the second case, that's your option, but not one I believe most rational people, including world cruisers, would agree with.

There is much to be said against a so-called "nanny state," but to criticize the carrying of locator beacons and other safety equipment is off base.

Cheers.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 08:09   #64

We had the same demand made by our insurer in Seattle, 3 on board for the trip down the coast. I switched to Pantaenius who are fine with 2.

I know some probably think having 3 on board is a safety issue, but they don't realize that it puts the trip on a schedule. My wife and I were content to sit in any and every port on the west coast until conditions were right to move on, if we'd had a 3rd person on board they would have had lives to get back to.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 08:16   #65

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: BoatUS wants 3 people on board while cruising in Mexico?

Each year there's at least one paddleboard race from Catalina back to mainland Manhattan Beach. Here's the recent fastest gal finisher: Kelsey O’Donnel finishes in a record time of 6:18:28. Aye, lads and lassies, 'tis a dangerous stretch of ocean, with whales and white sharks. Still, there are intrepid souls who routinely brave the stretch without tow insurance. Me and a high school buddy did a RT with no engine! Shivers me timbers to think back!
Time to take a break from CF, methinks.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 08:17   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
They dont (cant?) charge until you are hooked up to them. Maybe then they charge for the travel time, I dont know.

when we needed boat screw us in st joseph bay, we were charged from time of initial call to time of delivery to dock. plus 10 dollars per foot--we were most lucky it wasnt the top end, 250 usd per foot-- to unstick our boat from a spoils bank in 41 kt winds and huge chop. took him less than 5 deconds to do the deed, and pricing was atrocious..lol...not gonna fool me twice.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 06:16   #67

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
boat screw us
Ok, I have heard and called them other things like BoagUS but not that one!

+1
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 06:21   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
Ok, I have heard and called them other things like BoagUS but not that one!

+1
if the shoe fits, hammer it on....
i learned to use my own resources before and while i was a member--is a lot cheaper in the long run, and feels better to get boat off a shoal without their silly and overpriced salvage rules.....just saying....

btw, crabby--lapworth 25s are cute lil boats with awesome sailing ability.....
Old 26-03-2013, 08:51   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1048 View Post
So does that mean you have liability only insurance on your car? Because ya know, if you want full coverage that means you are not confident enough to be driving?

I want to protect my boat as an asset. Simple as that. Its not a matter of my seamanship skills as I have a healthy respect for mother nature and the plethora of situations that could cause me finacial hardship.

I'm making this trip with or without insurance. I'm just doing the due dilligence now to ensure I'm protected if its not cost prohibited. At this stage im researching and getting more information.
Actually I carry no collision on my cars. I figure if the Insurance Company figures they will make money off me statistically, and I know I'm on the careful driver side of their curve, I'm money ahead.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:55   #70

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Actually I carry no collision on my cars. I figure if the Insurance Company figures they will make money off me statistically, and I know I'm on the careful driver side of their curve, I'm money ahead.
Just because you're money ahead statistically doesn't necessarily mean it's wise not to carry insurance.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:02   #71

rodl. i carried liability only.
i am no longer in usa. i have older boat--they do not insure, so i do no t have the need to support the insurance lobby --- i have no need to keep up with joneses nor any one else into material goods over living and enjoying life for what it is..our gift to enjoy.

even my sporty cars were gotten really cheaply -- one doesnt need to keep the shiniest tool in the rack to be happy. dont need money to be happy.
rodlmao. so few folks seem to get it.
Old 26-03-2013, 09:19   #72

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Since the OP is heading to Mexico - here is the BoatUS Q&A for their insurance coverage while - in - Mexico.
  • Q: I am planning a trip to Mexico with my boat. Is my boat still covered by your policy and do I need a cruising extension?
  • A: Unless you have purchased a Bass Boat policy, all boats insured through the BoatUS program will need a cruising extension in order to provide coverage when venturing into Mexico.
  • However, this extension will only cover the physical damage to your boat.
  • All boats (including those with a Bass Boat policy) are required under Mexican Law to have liability insurance issued through a Mexican Insurance Company. Without it, you could face serious consequences including fines, impoundment and/or imprisonment.
  • As explained in the Policy section of the website, we are working in partnership with a bona-fide Mexican insurer who can provide this liability coverage for both your boat and car online.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:03   #73

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:

The cost of full coverage insurance for a safe adult driver in Illinois is about $600. per year. The extra collision coverage equals less than half. So, I don't think a savings of roughly $25.00 a month is so great when the prospect of vehicle replacement is so high. But, back to the point at hand, I think Jared is on the right track and I agree with his wise assessment. Unless you own a derelict boat, which most of us do not, it doesn't pay to take unnecessary risks to save a few dollars. And, if you are in a worst case scenario situation, the expense is well worth the reward. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 15:53   #74

Boat: Hunter 27
I just got a quote from Boat US and they were cheap but I have not priced anything else yet. They would cover Great Lakes and Coastal. I guess they figure in a twenty foot boat I can't take it too far. The towing was not too bad also. They did say that it would be extra to go to the Bahamas.
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 16:46   #75

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

What they insurance company really meant was "in case of a named storm we will only provide insurance coverage if your boat suffers no damage"
You have it right! I once had a lead contamination issue with rented housing. I thought no, problem. called prominent USA insurance company I was with for many years to find out it was not listed peril on my policy.

Irate, I found home phone number to CEO. I called him 9 a.m. on Sunday. After a 90 minute discussion, he finally stated, "We do it because the law allows us to do it. Sorry."

Bottom line is that insurance companies are in business to take and make money, not pay it out. Best thing you can do is shop around and read the fine print very carefully. Or do without. I at least carry liability. Let the heavens and steel protect me from the rest.

Tags
cruising, Mexico