Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2022, 14:51   #301
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Wow, I've just seen this post. Found all the answers.

My favorites: a new Southerly 42 or an old Meadowlark 27.

What do you folks think about the new production monohulls with shallow drafts or swing keels and such? A Cat 355 with wing keel or a Beneteau 34.1 with shallow keel or an IP349 with her full keel or a Sun Odyssey 349 with swing keel is the answer these days? So many choices out there, overwhelming to even think about all the options.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 17:54   #302
Registered User
 
Scaramanga F25's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 971
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

My favorites: a new Southerly 42 or an old Meadowlark 27.

Jacky,

The original Herreshoff Meadowlark was 33 feet. Allan Vaitsies stretched the design to 37 feet in fiberglass, even the masts. A bigger H. design called Golden Ball was also built. There is one for sale near Fort Myers.
Marine Innovators in Bradenton designed and built a more modern and I think better (2 freestanding roller furling masts) sharpie with two bilge boards under the bunks to explore those areas that have not been overpopulated with boats. The Sandpiper 32.
To explain myself: I did 7 years of cruising between 1974 to 1981 before it got popular. i.e. 3 boats in an Island harbor.
I did more in spurts in the 80s and 90s and got out in 2003. Just too many boats. For example 100 in Hope Town, 300 in Georgetown.
That is how I would go if I was a dozen years younger. Alone on a sandbar or in an anchorage anywhere there is 2 feet of water.
Phil Bolger has done a few sharpie designs also. Smaller would be the Egret 25.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 20:09   #303
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
My favorites: a new Southerly 42 or an old Meadowlark 27.

Jacky,

The original Herreshoff Meadowlark was 33 feet. Allan Vaitsies stretched the design to 37 feet in fiberglass, even the masts. A bigger H. design called Golden Ball was also built. There is one for sale near Fort Myers.
Marine Innovators in Bradenton designed and built a more modern and I think better (2 freestanding roller furling masts) sharpie with two bilge boards under the bunks to explore those areas that have not been overpopulated with boats. The Sandpiper 32.
To explain myself: I did 7 years of cruising between 1974 to 1981 before it got popular. i.e. 3 boats in an Island harbor.
I did more in spurts in the 80s and 90s and got out in 2003. Just too many boats. For example 100 in Hope Town, 300 in Georgetown.
That is how I would go if I was a dozen years younger. Alone on a sandbar or in an anchorage anywhere there is 2 feet of water.
Phil Bolger has done a few sharpie designs also. Smaller would be the Egret 25.
37 I meant to say. Typo.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 20:45   #304
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Posts: 1,141
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
The original Herreshoff Meadowlark was 33 feet. Allan Vaitsies stretched the design to 37 feet in fiberglass, even the masts.
I'm currently working on a Vaitses/Herreshoff.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 13:23   #305
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm currently working on a Vaitses/Herreshoff.
Awesome. Would you please share a couple of photos?
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 13:29   #306
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD
Boat: Southerly 480
Posts: 529
Images: 1
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
...
My favorites: a new Southerly 42 or an old Meadowlark 27.
....
Sadly, Discovery who was making the 42 has gone into liquidation. I had hull #3 of the 42 on order, and they hadn't completed laminating the hull (or even started). I'm awaiting information from the liquidators.

A new entity, Ocean Shipyard Ltd, https://oceanshipyardlimited.com/ plans to continue making the 42 and the 480 (Discovery 48S). Evidently, they have a number of the crew from Discovery onboard. But, they've not yet established pricing etc.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 13:33   #307
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Talking Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
Sadly, Discovery who was making the 42 has gone into liquidation. I had hull #3 of the 42 on order, and they hadn't completed laminating the hull (or even started). I'm awaiting information from the liquidators.

A new entity, Ocean Shipyard Ltd, https://oceanshipyardlimited.com/ plans to continue making the 42 and the 480 (Discovery 48S). Evidently, they have a number of the crew from Discovery onboard. But, they've not yet established pricing etc.
I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyhow.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 13:59   #308
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Posts: 1,141
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
Awesome. Would you please share a couple of photos?




Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 14:04   #309
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post




Wow, such a beauty. Please, keeps us updated as you progress. I've become a big fan here.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 14:10   #310
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Posts: 1,141
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
Wow, such a beauty. Please, keeps us updated as you progress. I've become a big fan here.
She needs a lot of work, but she has potential.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 14:24   #311
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
She needs a lot of work, but she has potential.
Can she make it to the Bahamas from Florida when the repairs are done? Her hull design makes me think.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 14:42   #312
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
She needs a lot of work, but she has potential.
Well, I've found this link

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-236076.html

Yes, she can sail there easily. Strangely, many thought she was a wooden boat. As far as I know, the 37 ft Vaites versions are all fiberglass.

Enjoy!
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 14:43   #313
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Posts: 1,141
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
Can she make it to the Bahamas from Florida when the repairs are done? Her hull design makes me think.
Her first owner took her from Maine to the Bahamas, every season, for 20 years.

Her second owner had a trailer built for her (as narrow as she is, she's towable without permits), and hauled her to Minnesota, and he sailed her on the lakes until a couple of years ago.

My plan is to get her back in shape, and then get her back to the Bahamas and Florida keys, and after that I have only vague intentions.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 14:44   #314
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 29
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Her first owner took her from Maine to the Bahamas, every season, for 20 years.

Her second owner had a trailer built for her (as narrow as she is, she's towable without permits), and hauled her to Minnesota, and he sailed her on the lakes until a couple of years ago.

My plan is to get her back in shape, and then get her back to the Bahamas and Florida keys, and after that I have only vague intentions.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 20:14   #315
Registered User
 
kzmike's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Aransas Pass, TX
Boat: Pearson 35
Posts: 9
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
Wow, I've just seen this post. Found all the answers.

My favorites: a new Southerly 42 or an old Meadowlark 27.

What do you folks think about the new production monohulls with shallow drafts or swing keels and such? A Cat 355 with wing keel or a Beneteau 34.1 with shallow keel or an IP349 with her full keel or a Sun Odyssey 349 with swing keel is the answer these days? So many choices out there, overwhelming to even think about all the options.

How about a Pearson 35. 3ft 9in draft with CB up?
kzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bahamas, Blue Water boats, centerboard, Chesapeake, draft, florida, florida keys, shallow draft, swing keel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shallow keel for shallow water? troppo General Sailing Forum 12 01-03-2016 15:24
Center Cockpit, Shallow Draft ardenlester00 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 22-08-2011 05:10
Lift Keel or Shallow Draft? Pilot Rob General Sailing Forum 12 04-07-2010 15:46
Shallow Draft Cutter Wanted goprisko Monohull Sailboats 5 15-04-2010 07:18
Sun Odyssey 40' Shallow Draft yorugua Monohull Sailboats 1 09-04-2010 22:24

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.