Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 12:33   #16

Re: Boats with Re-built motors...What to Think?

I've had well over 30,000 hours out of a Yanmar 5hp air cooled diesel, and it was still running like a top when I gave it to my neighbour (never broke down, never needed repairs). Regular oil changes, and filter cleaning (they weren't disposable), along with running it long enough with a load to get properly warm, and it thrived.

You either live and breathe diesels, or you don't. In my experience, an Agency mechanic that lives and breathes diesels, is rarer than rocking horse droppings.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:40   #17

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbrain View Post
Well, I am not exactly disagreeing with anyone except the first poster who said the "shade tree mechanic" adds no value to an engine - that's going too far - if you take an engine that is completely unable to run, and put it back together so it seems to be working fine - I would say you added plenty of value. A boat with no engine at all is not usable even as a daysailer, is it, if it's big enough?

I was somewhat idly looking at boats in Mexico for bargains which would already be in cruising grounds. - though all the narcotrafficante violence is a bit scary now- anyhow, the engine was a thornycroft of some sort - English diesel but apparently out of business - maybe some international phone calls or more persistent surfing would have found a parts supplier, there was nothing very obvious, and quite possibly nothing at all- boat was around 40 years old.

So, rebuilt or not, take a close look at part availability - maybe that Thornycroft runs great, but any problem with it can not be fixed without paying a parts manufacturer to make one just to fit - probably not worth it.
There are probably 20 Thornycroft parts supplier in Sydney Australia. Parts for engines much older than both the 4 and 6 cyl Thornycroft Ford engines are available in most English speaking countries. Professional machine shop only need to make 1 call. At least that's been the case for the hundred of engine I've re-built
A T/Ford in a fishing boat, always running hot will last forever with simple but proper preventative maintenance.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:45   #18

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
There are probably 20 Thornycroft parts supplier in Sydney Australia. Parts for engines much older than both the 4 and 6 cyl Thornycroft Ford engines are available in most English speaking countries. Professional machine shop only need to make 1 call. At least that's been the case for the hundred of engine I've re-built
A T/Ford in a fishing boat, always running hot will last forever with simple but proper preventative maintenance.
And tell me if I'm wrong here. But didn't Lin & Larry Pardey sail their Bristol Channel Cutter around the world, and then some, with no prop, no fuel system & no motor?
Old 12-01-2016, 14:18   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

They did indeed. But that doesn't mean we should all take out our engines or ignore them when buying a boat
Old 12-01-2016, 14:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

As others have said, the mechanic and the completeness of the overhaul are what count. Engines made to be overhauled (sleeved cylinders) that have always received proper care and no accidents (high overheat, loss of oil pressure) can be rebuilt many times. I prefer a properly overhauled engine over a new one. Much more time is spent ensuring proper fit and inspecting parts in a rebuild than ever happens in a factory building smaller engines.
My 65 year old Detroit Diesel (Gray Marine) main engines still have cranks that mic at standard. So does my 45 year old Perkins driving a generator.
Engines in commercial vessels normally never get replaced, just rebuilt. At least before the EPA.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:33   #21

Quote:
And tell me if I'm wrong here. But didn't Lin & Larry Pardey sail their Bristol Channel Cutter around the world, and then some, with no prop, no fuel system & no motor?
Except it wasn't a Bristol Channel Cutter.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:39   #22

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
How in the world did you manage to get the obligatory reference to Lin and Larry Pardey into a thread about engine overhauls? What about the Hiscocks and the hundreds, if not thousands, of others that have sailed sans engine?

Apologies in advance, couldn't resist.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:44   #23

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Now that is an interesting point...are you referring to the fact that it is Lyle Hess's interpretation of the original? At any rate great observation.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
HUmmm so how many are a lot of hours on these little diesels I looked at one that had 3,300 on it I somehow equated that to 150,000 to200,000 miles on the road, with a road motor it's just getting broke in if it were maintained properly.
So if maintained the way it should be and nothing stupid happens what do Y'all get out of them.
3,000 hrs is nothing for a small diesel provided it is always:
1. Run hot, not thousands of cold starts.
2. Run at least 30% loaded and charging batteries IS NOT loaded.
3. Seviced by "the book" or better.

Salty
Old 12-01-2016, 14:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
They did indeed. But that doesn't mean we should all take out our engines or ignore them when buying a boat
Hell....did my post suggest removing engines ??
Sorry people. Put them back in.
Old 12-01-2016, 15:02   #26

Nope, I just don't understand what them sailing w/out an engine has to do with this topic - engine overhauls?

You could answer "Most people don't have a boat" to pretty much any topic and be completely right too.
Just not very helpful in most cases
Old 12-01-2016, 15:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Is it wasn't a BCC it was 24 foot derivative of one named SERRAFYN.
Let me guess.... you aren't going to tell the forum exactly what the boat was right.
Nor are you going to give us details about Taleisin .....or are you Stu.
If you do tell us will you include the part where a removable outboard was on Taleisins manifest.....plleeeease ?
Old 12-01-2016, 15:08   #28

Quote:
Let me guess.... you aren't going to tell the forum exactly what the boat was right.
Why are you trying to derail this topic?
It has NOTHING to do with Lin, Larry or their boat ...

Old 12-01-2016, 15:11   #29

Madam....if you read through your numerous replies to my posts you will find a common thread.
Suggesting I'm trying to derail is pretty off.
Old 12-01-2016, 15:19   #30

If someone has a fist full of receipts for pistons rings etc. And claimed they themselves rebuild it, I would think a rebuilt motor a good bet. Of course one needs to be motor knowledgeable themselves to be able to listen to the motor and discern if it is running up to snuff. Also just talking with the person about the rebuild should yield confidence or no confidence regarding their motor knowledge. I do not see hundreds of posts of peoples Yanmar s failing because a rocker arm bushing wasn't replaced upon rebuild.. I currently have a Pearson wanderer 30 foot and just scored a $1,700 running Yanmar which puffs heavy black smoke for one second on startup that which I plan on completely rebuilding. A small part of the reason being that it is much easier to get the engine into the boat piece by piece then assembled . It is much cheaper as well. Considering the boat had no Running motor before it will certainly increase the value of the boat. I have owned four or five boat with no motor, which I fell off the anchor to sail. Or an outboard motor just enough to get me out of range of the Anchorage.
terabika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor