Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 11:49   #1

Boat Repair

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this so bear with me if I am posting in the wrong area. I sail a 1964, 24' Lapworth Gladiator. If you are not familiar with the boat it is the one Frank Guernsy sailed around the world single handed. Anyway, I picked up the boat on the cheap ($1000.00 us) and did a lot of cosmetic repairs. Including paint I probably spent about $1500.00. Anyway, I kept it at a reputable marina in the area in a slip and really enjoy the boat. When the marina hauled her they did some damage. Paint damage, broke 2 windows, punturee the fiberglass, and my biggest concern, a chainplate for the mast stay on the inside was bent and broken away from the hull. They are telling me that they will fix it but I don't think it is worth it. Is it crude to ask for a payoff instead? I don't want them to think I am a scammer but I also don't want to end up owning their mistake.
coloradomarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:16   #2

If they broke it and owned up to their mistake then it can't hurt to ask. If they end up doing the repairs be very careful that they do a good job.
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, coloradomarc.

I don’t think your concern is entirely misplaced, and suggest that you discuss (with an open mind) the matter with them.

I’d agree that it wouldn’t make sense to (have them) spend more money on repairs, than the boat would be worth to you (entirely possible, as you describe it).

If they can set a realistic value on the repairs, and you a realistic value on the boat; there may be a mutually acceptable cash settlement. Be flexible.

GOOD LUCK !

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 14:44   #4

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Consider it this way. At the moment you have a boat that appears to suit your needs. A cash payout will leave you boatless and with not much cash to even think about buying something newer or larger. So which is it? Do you want to keep on sailing or not?

I'd say that if you do, let them do the repairs, make sure they are done properly and go from there. If you want to get out of sailing, the answer is obvious. Work out a deal with them for cash.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote