Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 18:49   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Bird Deterrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cds cause a strobing efect which can cause seizures in many individuals. try to no t use these items, as this actually CAN cause harm. also brings on migraine, aka visual disturbance headaches, which are very similar to seizure activity as they have post ictal and aura , as do seizures.
you dont want to cause any boating accidents with your attempts to rid world of poor birdees, many of which eat mosquitos.
This confirms my suspicions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 18:53   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This confirms my suspicions.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:47   #18

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCR2580 View Post
I have found a cheap way of keeping the stinking birds off my spreaders, thus eliminating the bird crap on my boat. Go to Walmart and buy a plastic skeleton for $10 and connect it to a spare halyard and hoist it halfway up your mast, Let it swing in the air about 4' from the mast and i guarantee the birds will not land on your spreaders. I have done this for a week now and all the boats around me have bird carp but not mine! Million dollar idea. You can buy plastic skeletons on online also.
Or go to a Chinese restaurant and get a chicken skeleton. Hang that. Sends a message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
... I know someone who swears by feather dusters lashed to the shroud at spreader level. That one seems way weird to me, but she swears it works.
See. Same thing.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:59   #19

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The fishermen also often hung a dead seagull from a high point in their rigging. There were still plenty of seagulls elsewhere, but they stayed clear of Gloucester!
couple years ago While setting in the cockpit, looked up and poped a bird with my BB Gun that was on the backstay.. the bird rolled over and died hanging onto the backstay just above my reach.. left him there.. he stayed there for a couple months but durring that time, I had no other birds on the boat...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 20:26   #20

Boat: Beneteau 361

I like Hudson Force's and Randyonr3's...in Montana, you just hang the dead coyote on the fence line and the buggers don't show up anymore. Works for foxes and I suppose the birds would get the message, too!

Just think how stylish that could be, showing up in an anchorage with an array of bird species hangin' from the yardarms.
mtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 19:21   #21

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cds cause a strobing efect which can cause seizures in many individuals. try to no t use these items, as this actually CAN cause harm. also brings on migraine, aka visual disturbance headaches, which are very similar to seizure activity as they have post ictal and aura , as do seizures.
you dont want to cause any boating accidents with your attempts to rid world of poor birdees, many of which eat mosquitos.

I thought it was the Rap music on them doing it. Whooda thunk it?