Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2009, 09:30   #1
HJH

Boat: van der Stadt, RCOD, 30"
Royal Cape One Design - Information

Good Day

I have aquired a second hand yacht. It is a RCOD from van der Stadt.
Can any body help me with information on the design and below deck layouts??
HJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 11:35   #2

Boat: Spirit 28
I dont know anything about it personally, but I do know one of the guys on the Vaal sailing forum delivered one from Brazil to Cape Town.

Maybe if you post your question there you might get some leads [just ask very nicely, I recall he had lots of unsavoury things to say about the RCOD!]

Forum is at http://www.inlandsailing.co.za/yabb/...?board=general

p.s. Apologies if I violated rule, not sure what the policies are here for links to
other sites.
nonamebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 00:33   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I am also interested in getting info on the RCOD. I have been told that is is similar to (or same as) the Van De Stadt 31 ft Super Dogger which is what I am currently refitting.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 02:14   #4
HJH

Hi Wotname

Will keep you posted if I find anything.
Old 25-01-2009, 13:09   #5

PM me, wotname and HJ. I have some useful contacts for you.
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 23:34   #6
HJH

Splash I cannot seem to PM you??
Old 17-01-2010, 00:12   #7

Boat: Sonnet dinghy
I sailed RCOD's for 6 years. My Dad, my brother and I raced "Reaction" (RCOD 38) from Richards Bay to Durban (about 80+Nm) and came second over the line behind a 76' maxi. We clubbed the rest of the fleet and won on handicap. We had about 40knt. up the tailpipe surfing at 22 knots in 20' rollers in the Agulhas current. On the day my dad bought the boat, we had a 60kn. South Wester nail the fleet. There were dismastings and other mayhem. We got home fine. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNSAVOURY ABOUT THE RCOD. The RCOD is singularly one of the most safe and seaworthy 30' yachts on the ocean today. Enjoy it if you have one...
m.runtzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 04:26   #8

Boat: van de Stadt, dogger, 31ft, Tumbleweed
Hi,

have a full set of plans.

Joost
joost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 13:44   #9

Boat: Sonnet dinghy
Hi, Joost

Would you be willing to part with a copy of the RCOD plans?

Regards
Mark
m.runtzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 14:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.runtzler View Post
Hi, Joost

Would you be willing to part with a copy of the RCOD plans?

Regards
Mark
You are welcome to make a copy. The plans are for a "dogger" l:9.45, Lwl:7.40, B:2.6, Draft:1.41, displacement: 3t by E.G. van de Stadt 1963. It has been built here in Cape Town ca. 1978

Joost
Old 19-11-2010, 05:33   #11

Boat: Van de Stadt, (Black Soo / RCOD), 30Ft, Shadowfax III
Shadowfax III

Hi Guys,

I potentially have a RCOD, PLYMTH or a Black Soo.

The previous owner told me it was a Van de Stadt and there is a vague reference to the PYMTH in a scrap of paper that was with the boats documents.

Internally she has a couple of South African coins glued to the mast and two small metal shields.

The previous owner said she was South African built and sailed across, eventually ending up in Darwin where I bought her.

She is single chined ply, timber mast and strongly rigged and when the wind rises above 10 knots she sails very well.

If someone could look at the pics on my profile page and guess her pedigree I would be very happy.

If she is a RCOD I would love to have some history on the design sailing, tuning tips etc. and any other information anyone has.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23698-albums949-picture6269.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	21231   Click image for larger version

Name:	23698-albums949-picture7524.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	21232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	23698-albums949-picture6267.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	21233  
Shadowfax III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax III View Post
Hi Guys,

The previous owner told me it was a Van de Stadt and there is a vague reference to the PYMTH in a scrap of paper that was with the boats documents.

Internally she has a couple of South African coins glued to the mast and two small metal shields.

The previous owner said she was South African built and sailed across, eventually ending up in Darwin where I bought her.

She is single chined ply, timber mast and strongly rigged and when the wind rises above 10 knots she sails very well.

If someone could look at the pics on my profile page and guess her pedigree I would be very happy.

If she is a RCOD I would love to have some history on the design sailing, tuning tips etc. and any other information anyone has.

Terry

Looks and smells like a dogger. A hand full has been built here between 1978 and 1980. I own one of them. Got a full set of plans. They sail beautifull and are very sea worthy.

Joost, Cape Town
Old 19-11-2010, 16:14   #13

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by joost View Post
Looks and smells like a dogger. A hand full has been built here between 1978 and 1980. I own one of them. Got a full set of plans. They sail beautifull and are very sea worthy.

Joost, Cape Town
I agree with Joost, most likely a Dogger. If not, it could pass as an identical twin sister for one.

I am surprised about your comment about poor performance in winds below 10 kts. I have been very impressed with my light air performance.

If the bottom and prop is clean, she should motor along sweetly around 4 kts with engine revs just above idle (in calm conditions). If so, then she will sail nicely in winds below 10 kts IF the sails are in good shape. I am assuming she is not massively overloaded (she doesn't appear too overloaded from the pics).

FWIW, I have just spent 7 years on a total refit of my Dogger - back to back wood inside and outside, epoxy coated, new everything except mast, mainsail and bunks cushions. I am now in the process of re-learning how to sail!!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-11-2010, 00:57   #14

Boat: Van de Stadt, (Black Soo / RCOD), 30Ft, Shadowfax III
Consensus is that she is a Dogger...

Quote:
If the bottom and prop is clean, she should motor along sweetly around 4 kts with engine revs just above idle (in calm conditions).
She will motor at around 6 Kts with a clean prop and no tide or wind, dead flat dead calm, which is important as she is Australian Registered and must be able to maintain 5 Kts for registration purposes.

I'm convinced the prop is mismatched as it overloads the engine at around 50% throttle (black smoke and soot) so I am saving up to buy a SeaHawk folding prop, which I will then be able to tune perfectly to the engine. After I buy a new prop I will save for a new engine of at least 21Hp. A modern diesel has almost twice the power for the same weight and volume.

We have tides running at 6 Kts + so it is important to get everything running as fast as hull speed will allow. Fortunately, I am a bit of a purist and the only time I run the engine is when required such as entering or leaving the lock. Or when I have to make a lock opening and I need some help countering the tide. I would rather tack an extra 10 Nmiles than run the lump of noisy steel called an engine. My missus disagrees when she is doing her incredible hulk impersonation turning green.

Quote:
If so, then she will sail nicely in winds below 10 kts IF the sails are in good shape. I am assuming she is not massively overloaded (she doesn't appear too overloaded from the pics).
She is weighed down with around a tonne of gear (no shed to keep my tools), 80 metres of chain a spare admiralty anchor and she has been previously refitted with an ancient Yanmar 12Hp diesel that weighs around 250Kg.

When the wind is below 10Kts she drifts at around 2-3Kts. At 10Kts and above she leaps ahead like she has a turbo charger and depending on wind & tide will sail close to hull speed at 20Kts. Under full sail at 20kts she lays over to around 35-40 Degrees and If caught out in a 30Kt squall under full sail she just rounds up and stops.
Shadowfax III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 00:50   #15

Interesting...

Quote:
..... which is important as she is Australian Registered and must be able to maintain 5 Kts for registration purposes.
I have never heard of this before... do you have a reference or link which gives more detail on this speed requirement?

Quote:
I'm convinced the prop is mismatched as it overloads the engine at around 50% throttle (black smoke and soot) so I am saving up to buy a SeaHawk folding prop, which I will then be able to tune perfectly to the engine. After I buy a new prop I will save for a new engine of at least 21Hp. A modern diesel has almost twice the power for the same weight and volume.
I have to agree the prop does not sound correctly matched. FWIW, my Dogger initially had a ancient 8 hp petrol engine and a small 2 blade fixed prop and would do around 4 kts in calm conditions (full throttle).

I replaced the old engine with a Yanmar 2GM20 and a fixed 3 blade prop. Engine is rated 16 HP continious at 3,400 rpm (18 HP at 3,600 for 30 minutes duration). In calm conditions and with a clean bottom, she does 3.5 kts at 1,200 rpm, 5 kts at 1,800 rpm and 6 to 7 kts at 2,500 rpm; that leaves plenty in reserve for heavier conditions. I can't recall the prop size but I can look it up for you if you wish.

Quote:
She is weighed down with around a tonne of gear (no shed to keep my tools), 80 metres of chain a spare admiralty anchor and she has been previously refitted with an ancient Yanmar 12Hp diesel that weighs around 250Kg.
Well I wouldn't call that overloaded but it is getting up there weight wise.

Quote:
When the wind is below 10Kts she drifts at around 2-3Kts. At 10Kts and above she leaps ahead like she has a turbo charger and depending on wind & tide will sail close to hull speed at 20Kts. Under full sail at 20kts she lays over to around 35-40 Degrees and If caught out in a 30Kt squall under full sail she just rounds up and stops.

I think you should be getting much better light air sailing performance than that. I am wondering if you prop is way too big (evidenced by overloading the engine) or your sails are past their use by date (ie no shape left in them); or both!!
Again FWIW, with my new headsail (130% on furler) and a main that is in reasonable shape, I can expect around 4 kts with less than 10 kt winds. By 15 kts, I am getting 6 to 7 kts and I am reefing before 20 kts.