Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 17:11   #601

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Snowpetrel, I have dug up the deck paint plan. It is necessary at the hull build stage, as it affects how the area is sanded.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 17:39   #602

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks SWL, looks good, Any reason you left the pilothouse top without any nonskid?

Is it going to be bare aluminium between the non skid paint. Or is the whole deck and cabin going to be painted and the non skid then painted on top of the paint?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-04-2016, 17:46   #603

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks SWL, looks good, Any reason you left the pilothouse top without any nonskid?

Is it going to be bare aluminium between the non skid paint. Or is the whole deck and cabin going to be painted and the non skid then painted on top of the paint?
We may fit another couple of solar panels on the pilothouse roof (provisional wiring is being laid). In the interim, little walking will be done in this area.
At anchor we will have the boom tent rolled out so the entire area will stay cool. The boom tent is fitted on a track, as we have now. This is a brilliant arrangement we are duplicating - not our idea, it was installed when we bought the boat.

The rest of the deck will be bare alu.

SWL

Old 24-04-2016, 17:51   #604
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Any reason you left the pilothouse top without any nonskid?
yea, we added treadmaster non-skid pads to our hard dodger top - we ended up standing up there more frequently than we had guessed.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 18:10   #605

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
yea, we added treadmaster non-skid pads to our hard dodger top - we ended up standing up there more frequently than we had guessed.
Yeah, I often ended up on the top of dodgers in rough water, but mostly to deal with traditional slab reefed mains, untangling reefing lines, zipping up boombags and adjusting leechcords. Snowpetrels dodger was all nonskid, it made a nice place to sit in good weather.

If your planning in mast or boom furling then you shouldnt need to go up there anywhere near as much?

It also seemed like there was a bit of a bare patch on the cabintop edges, but the ropes leading aft run there so it would only suport a narrow strip Probably with a handrail in the middle of it. Again I am used to having to go fwd to reef and unreef and I've never been lucky enough to sail with a slab reef system that didn't need a dash fwd occasionally to unfoul or overhaul something even with all the lines in the cockpit.

I am glad to hear you can paint non skid onto otherwise bare alloy. Thats seems a lot cheaper and less messy than trying to glue down treadmaster. I will have to pick your brains sometime on the paint prep they use.

Cheers Ben
Old 24-04-2016, 20:38   #606

Quote:
To slightly hijack SWLs excellent thread, fine tolerance's story can be read here http://www.bruceroberts.com.au/northwest/051106.htm and furled sails has a podcast with them.

Phil is a member here with the tag fine tolerance. An epic voyage! Sounds like he pounded out the dents and she is as good as new.

Thank you so much for posting that, just spent the better part of my morning reading all the posts!
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 21:01   #607

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Snowpetrel, I have dug up the deck paint plan. It is necessary at the hull build stage, as it affects how the area is sanded.

I love that they drew the Mantus anchor in there too!
Old 24-04-2016, 21:57   #608

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
...........I am glad to hear you can paint non skid onto otherwise bare alloy. Thats seems a lot cheaper and less messy than trying to glue down treadmaster. I will have to pick your brains sometime on the paint prep they use.

Cheers Ben
Ben, on Panope I just prepped for normal painting by sandblasting. Used two coats of Epoxy primer that I had mixed the same color as the topcoat. I used the "sprinkled glass beads" technique on the still wet primer. Then top coated when dry.

This house top paint/non-skid as so far been perfect. No chipping around the edges. Leaving the perimeter pipe edge bare, is essential.

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 02:22   #609

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our view of the pilothouse top was that if solar panels were not fitted and we found non skid paint was necessary, we could very easily add it later.

In between paint discussion I will keep adding photos .

This is another shot of the second (middle) watertight bulkhead with the head and shower compartments:

Old 25-04-2016, 03:53   #610

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
....looks a little small though....
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 03:53   #611

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Mermaid endorsed .

Old 25-04-2016, 11:46   #612
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I find the work sequence interesting. It is different than I am used to. I have typically seen metal boats built from the backbone + ring frames and then bulkheads, and then skinned (deck and hull) and then lockers and do-dads.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:43   #613

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I find the work sequence interesting. It is different than I am used to. I have typically seen metal boats built from the backbone + ring frames and then bulkheads, and then skinned (deck and hull) and then lockers and do-dads.
Me too.

Also, I would have expected notches to be present in the bulkheads to accomodate longitudinal framing. Will there be longitudinal framing? Perhaps the notches will be omitted entirely at the watertight bulkheads?

It would appear (at this stage) that any longitudinal DECK framing will be installed in segments.

Fascinating project.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 13:39   #614

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Me too.

Also, I would have expected notches to be present in the bulkheads to accomodate longitudinal framing. Will there be longitudinal framing? Perhaps the notches will be omitted entirely at the watertight bulkheads?

It would appear (at this stage) that any longitudinal DECK framing will be installed in segments.

Fascinating project.

Steve
Our bulkheads are not notched. The stringers are welded end on to them. There is a rim running around the edge of each bulkhead with a gap left to accomodate the stringers. The bulkheads are substantial structures and all are designed to be watertight. I think notching would make it nightmare to weld in a manner to ensure the watertight nature.

Each stringer does, however, slot into numerous notched frames between the bulkheads and this framework is put together before being lifted in one piece and attached to the deck. At least, it looks like this last bit will occur . Stay tuned .

SWL

Old 25-04-2016, 19:45   #615

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Does anyone know why I can't see the pictures? Get an "Oops" "Image was linked incorrectly" msg.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote