Hallberg Rassy 6 22.22%
Hylas 4 14.81%
Island Packet 3 11.11%
Passport, Sabre 1 3.70%
Mason, Cheoy Lee 3 11.11%
Other 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2008, 18:44   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 26
Best Liveaboard, CC, 39-42', Blue Water, Coastal Boat

Okay, okay, here's the deal. There is sooo much knowledge on these threads, I am always in awe when I read through this. If I came to you as a friend and said "my husband and I are going to go on a dream of sailing for the next several years, and we want a boat. It needs to be at least 2 cabins, but could be 3, lots of wood interior , and teak deck is fine! But a solidly built, easily handled by 2, but could be singlehanded. Center cockpit would be ideal. Older boat okay, as my husband is kinda handy and I am good at watching! 39-42" LOA would be ideal for us, I think, and I LOVE the interiors of the warm, cozy wood (like a HR, or even the Masons, Cheoy Lee). Yes, we want to sail everywhere, that's warm that is. No cold weather for us. I love HR but am wondering if I have limited or biased myself. I do like Hylas, IP's, Sabres. and such. I don't mean to open up a can of worms or fist fights but would love some conversation to help narrow my focus! So with that, let the games begin!
SailingShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 19:07   #2

Based on the specific brands you mentioned, I'll assume what you are really after is a blue water boat, rather than one that is limited to coastal cruising.

Check out a Kelly Peterson 44. Plenty of info on the net, including an owners'website: Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome. It's an older boat, but with a fairly modern underbody. Very fast even with a 30,000 pound displacement. CC and traditional type interior with lots of room and storage space. About 500 were built from 1978 to the early 80's, and there are probably 2 or 2300 cruising throughout the world.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 00:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Money and time analysis...

I voted for "other" but really the question must be "How much do we need to spend to buy a boat that suits our needs?"

It really depends how much money and time (and repair facility) you have available.
A fully loaded boat may have a higher price but could still be a bargain.

If lots of money buy the best condition/best fitted out/newest boat that you can find.
If you have lots of time and a good repair facility then an older boat with a sound hull sitting next to your house for a few years may be the way to go.
Reality probably lies somewhere in between. My experience suggests working to build a larger purchase kitty and buying a better boat.

After building a few boats and now completely fitting out another I don't mind amateur built boats. Some hate them.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 05:36   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingShark View Post
I don't mean to open up a can of worms or fist fights but would love some conversation to help narrow my focus! So with that, let the games begin!

Along the lines of what Boracay said, what will narrow your focus is how much you're going to spend. And how handy and how much time you've got to fix the boat. A realistic exercise starts with budget. If you don't start with budget you waste time and effort on boats which you will never be able to afford. Myself, I'd like a Morris, about 40 feet will do but I know it's well beyond my budget so I just drool over the pictures and specs and move on. Start the exercise with how much you're willing or able to spend. That will narrow your focus to a pinpoint!
Old 27-10-2008, 06:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I speak as a liveaboard: cruiser, not racer (it's all about storage!). I am happy living aboard my Tayana 37, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably choose a center cockpit to get that aft stateroom. Alternately (or in addition to ...) a pullman berth forward. Sizeable head (with shower); adequately sized galley.
Old 27-10-2008, 08:28   #6

Boat: c&c landfall 43
check out the c&c landfall 43 I am just in the process of fitting one for extending cruising. The only issue that I am having is storage but after talking with others this seems will always be a issue. as for everything else you are looking for these were the same for me and this boat met my price range. but by the looks at your choices you must be in a different tax bracket than me, lol. cheers
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 08:36   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If the HR is in your budget? Then go ahead, and buy it. Otherwise everytime you see one you will most likely wish it was yours. The HR sounds like it is the one to you liking?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:36   #8

Coastal or Blue?

Really , I think you need to decide if you are coastal or blue water. For coastal sailing and living, a Catalina 42 or Beneteau would be a great boat. For blue water, those on your list are good boats with the possible exception of the Cheoy.... depending on the model. I personally am not enamoured with the Hallberg Rassys'. I looked very closely at buying a 42 once. They are nice, and good boats, but take the production concept to the max. For instance, the floors are all cut as premade pieces. In order to make them fit all the boats with the tolerances involved, they leave gaps of 1/8 or so between the panels. Wont that be nice full of bread crumbs and sand? There were other things like Euro plastic sea strainers etc. Not a lot of extras come with the boat either. Interiors wont hold a candle to the Hylas etc. I didnt see anything to lead me to believe they were more than a good production boat living off an old reputation. IMHO: Hylas would be the best on your list, Cheoy likely the worst. There are a lot of good Taiwanese boats though, if you are careful in your quest.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 19:42   #9

Wow, great points! Not sure about our tax bracket as it keeps changing daily!!! Okay, lets narrow it down to a Blue Water Boat, due to numerous crossings in our travel, but will be doing some coasts. My husband accuses me of being the "safe" "conservative" half. Naturally, I want a "solid" boat around me, well-built, but home like. Afterall, we will be spending a lot of time on it. While I like the "style" of a Hylas or HR,
how would you say the Bavaria 38, Elan 40, Najad 440 cc, Dufour 40, Malo 40, or Sabre 386 compare? Experiences with those? Racing, super fast is not big on our list. We (I am) are really leaning towards the center cockpit for reasons of above board sailing comfort as well as general motion comfort. I love the Sabre 386 but unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be made as such due to the mast placement. Really, we aren't rolling in $$$ but will not cut too many corners to make sure we are comfortable. That is one reason for not needing to have a brand new boat, for it seems there is always something to modify for our comfort. If numbers help, though, let's average around $250-300K +/-.

Does that change any information you would have given me earlier?
Old 29-10-2008, 21:30   #10

Boat: c&c landfall 43
I would think your options are endless, sounds like fun to me. the one thing that I can tell you is leave enough bucks to get the boat ready just the way you like it. things are starting to add up quickly for us as we are getting ready to leave next year, most things need to be replaced or upgraded for peice of mind.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 21:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingShark View Post
Wow, great points! Not sure about our tax bracket as it keeps changing daily!!! Okay, lets narrow it down to a Blue Water Boat, due to numerous crossings in our travel, but will be doing some coasts. My husband accuses me of being the "safe" "conservative" half. Naturally, I want a "solid" boat around me, well-built, but home like. Afterall, we will be spending a lot of time on it. While I like the "style" of a Hylas or HR,
how would you say the Bavaria 38, Elan 40, Najad 440 cc, Dufour 40, Malo 40, or Sabre 386 compare? Experiences with those? Racing, super fast is not big on our list. We (I am) are really leaning towards the center cockpit for reasons of above board sailing comfort as well as general motion comfort. I love the Sabre 386 but unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be made as such due to the mast placement. Really, we aren't rolling in $$$ but will not cut too many corners to make sure we are comfortable. That is one reason for not needing to have a brand new boat, for it seems there is always something to modify for our comfort. If numbers help, though, let's average around $250-300K +/-.

Does that change any information you would have given me earlier?
For that kind of money, there are plenty of fine boats that you can consider. But if cruising comfort is a prime consideration, I think many of the boats you mention might be a little on the light side to be comfortable in the rough stuff you are likely to find offshore.

I'll recommend the Kelly Peterson 44 again. You can buy and refit one up to very high standard, very well equipped for $150-200K, maybe even less.

Big, fast and comfortable CC cutter.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 06:08   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Island Packet would be high on my list, also a Valiant 40 or 42, or one of the Nautor Swans in the 40-43 ft range.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 20:30   #13

Boat: Columbia 30 - Dreamtime
We are beginning this quest ourselves, so cannot offer any definitive suggestions, other than to say: Stay away from a Bavaria. This boat has the same production-boat issues Cheechako pointed out about the HR, but the Bavaria is a couple of cuts below that. What kinds of comments are the Hanse cruisers beginning to get?
David Grieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:27   #14

Very interesting! David, good luck with your quest as well. I would love to hear from Hanse cruisers on both the positives as well as negatives with your Hanse S/V. I have to say, the Sabre's are looking beautiful - the 386 is one we are putting some time into researching. Comments anyone? Anyone? (Bueller? Bueller?)
Old 08-11-2008, 22:58   #15

No Hinckley??

Most of the boats you're talking about are very nice. For the amount of money you're considering putting down, I would encourage chartering your design before purchasing.

I'd love to make suggestions, but I haven't sailed any of these boats. (Although, if my budget extended to $300k I would have jumped on this Westernman 40).

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard