Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2014, 04:57   #46

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Best European Cruising Boats $60,000 (€48K) or Less

1. Avoid mass production brands, all built in haste, therefore badly, alas
2. A serious design and a serious boatbuilder grant you of good specs and honest execution and proper materials.
3. in italy, the homeland of Perini Navi, and Wally.., there are a few notable mid sized builder, some out of market now (who cares? After sale services are nil, here...and elsewhere either so)
. ZUANELLI (SS 41')
. SERIGI (43' or more..)
. CANTIERI BARBERIS (SHOW42')
. MORGANTE 43 (approx)
. Franchini built excellent motor sailers, a diminutive Jongert style!
. All those may be traded for 40/50k euro
. ORCA43 (late 70s, oceanic specs..) too
. ANY SCIARELLI DESIGN was built by meticulous yard workers, otherwise this architect would kill them all...find any and you'll feedle a metacentric violin of a built unparalleled nowadays (north adriatic sea, a Sciarelli 41' of 1976 in ALU is on sale at 60k...)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:07   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob View Post
A most interesting thread. I am From Sweden, in Europe. I know some about Swedish boat very little about boats from other European countries. I think this is valid for most Europeans. We are different countries after all. So thanks for the thread, I want to learn much more about e.g. English boats. A nice summer adventure would be to buy a boat in England and sail her home.

Sent from my SGP511 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hello Tob.

I am glad you are enjoying this thread/discussion. I am here to learn too, and sharing what I find as I look. I am open to suggestions and you and anyone else is welcome to add more boats and photos here in this thread, and I hope you and others will continue to do so!

Since you do know about Swedish boats, perhaps you could do some searching for some that fit the parameters of the thread topic and post a few you find. I only know of a few Swedish brands at this point, but am still looking (and learning).

I have been doing my research by alphabetical order (names of boat manufacturers in Europe), but may post boats out of that order as I find good examples.

As I have been looking, I have been pleased to see several boats built by the Dutch that impressed me with their fit and finish (and traditional styling I like).

Happy Holidays to All who read this!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 13:11   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
1. Avoid mass production brands, all built in haste, therefore badly, alas
2. A serious design and a serious boatbuilder grant you of good specs and honest execution and proper materials.
3. in italy, the homeland of Perini Navi, and Wally.., there are a few notable mid sized builder, some out of market now (who cares? After sale services are nil, here...and elsewhere either so)
. ZUANELLI (SS 41')
. SERIGI (43' or more..)
. CANTIERI BARBERIS (SHOW42')
. MORGANTE 43 (approx)
. Franchini built excellent motor sailers, a diminutive Jongert style!
. All those may be traded for 40/50k euro
. ORCA43 (late 70s, oceanic specs..) too
. ANY SCIARELLI DESIGN was built by meticulous yard workers, otherwise this architect would kill them all...find any and you'll feedle a metacentric violin of a built unparalleled nowadays (north adriatic sea, a Sciarelli 41' of 1976 in ALU is on sale at 60k...)
Thunderbird,

Thanks for adding those boats to the mix and your observations too. I will do some research on those when I get some more time, and if I find any, I will post some info here later.

Happy Holidays!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 10:09   #49
tob

Boström 31 and 37. They have circumnavigated. The latter I would gladly buy if there were any for sale in my vicinity which is Northern Europe. Here's one in Croatia:
http://www.boatshop24.com/se/bostroe...egelbat/226882

Anyway, I feel there's too many models, in fact what I search for pretty much matches the title of this tread, price range and. I am considering limiting the search a bit, as I don't have enough time to go deep into all possible boats that night suit our plans.

Currently looking at Yachtworld for ketch, sailing boat, 20000-60000 Euros, countries in Northern Europe.

Why ketch? Safety reasons for one thing, to be able to have smaller sails and in rough weather. They have a pretty good reputation by seasoned sailors as far as I know? Take HR Albatross 42 E for example. A dream boat but far too expensive:

Hallberg Rassy 42E: http://youtu.be/8vlDlNv-T8A

I will use YouTube also for initial analysis of the boats.

Merry Christmas

tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 10:44   #50
tob

Boström's are made in Sweden. I know this is a made in Europe - thread. I will adhere to that, but for our purchase in next two years we don't mind if the boat manufactured elsewhere but possible to purchase in Europe.

Old 25-12-2014, 16:46   #51
tob

Sorry for multiple posts but I can't edit them. It just got more complicated, realised I have to add boat from all countries in the world to my list of prospects. I can't know what's for sale in Europe on Yachtsworld in two years time. Out of scope for this thread but anyway. Maybe make a "negative list", boats not likely to be on sale in Europe, not bother about those.

Old 26-12-2014, 01:42   #52
tob

Here's a nice wooden ketch:
http://m.se.yachtworld.com/mobile/bo...United-Kingdom

Beware of the ship worm people say. Weren't the historic vessels all built of tree? It's a nice material to work with. What if you purchase a wooden vessel, keep it in the Baltic Sea most of the time (no ship worm), participate in ARC for one whole year, then back to the Baltic Sea. Using extra strong paint for everything below the waterline during ARC. Feasible? If so, I would recommend Colin Archer. World's best boat!? Norwegian, design by the scotchman Colin Archer:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Archer

Watch this:
RS 14 "Stavanger": http://youtu.be/vA7zZQVPayY
- Awesome clip, rescue action at 3:35 mins.

Colin Archer TSR 2014: http://youtu.be/6Mxq0t9P_sA

The 39 feet Colin Archer's may fit the upper range of this thread's economical restraints. Be aware that the rescue ratio for Colin Archer's under sail is higher than that for engine-driven rescue vessels! They seem excellent in rough weather!

Old 26-12-2014, 16:32   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
What model of Waarship and Winner, please? Dehler was nice, I went checking out a Jeanneau 42.1 the other day. Single laminated hull. Too weak for offshore cruising? And those spade-rudders, why do they insist? Dehler, Bavaria, Jeanneau etc, they are said to be like nutshells. Hard to handle in rough seas, very demanding. We want a safe boat after all. A bit of a moment 22, as the older boats, long-keeled, protected rudder and all that - generally suck interior-wise. I get much more space inside a newer boat, separate cabins, double bed in aft separate cabin and stuff. Tough choice to make! What about Boström 37, please? Problem with that boat there are none for sale.

Having taken several on long Atlantic passages you sir know very little about boats or what gets them across oceans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27-12-2014, 02:28   #54
tob

Trying to Learn!

Old 29-12-2014, 07:36   #55

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
What model of Waarship and Winner, please?
2003 Winner 9.50 Zeil Boot te koop - nl.yachtworld.com

Nice strong and fast cruiser.

Waarschip are built in wood and are a bit rarer.

cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33   #56
tob

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Having taken several on long Atlantic passages you sir know very little about boats or what gets them across oceans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You highness, how am I to know that the English vessel I am about to purchase has not been subject to the use of gravy and worchestershire in the manufacturing process? Is it not in fact likely that this is the case, please?
"Sir" Tob
"I am a fan of English cuisine, they have many fine Indian restaurants in London" //myself
Old 03-02-2015, 13:16   #57

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

LeComte (i'm partial though): Dutch built (but mostly for the American market, especially East Coast), in several sizes: Medalist at 33 ft LOA (crazy PHRF of 243, must have been a mistake somewhere at some point as they are not as slow as that); NorthEast 38 (available as sloop or yawl); Fastnet 45 (sloop or yawl). Some are advertized on yachtworld now. (there are others like the ALC etc - check out sailboatdata).

Quality of build is pretty high, although the 60s and the 70s were the time when gastarbeiters were being actively added to the european workforce, so i imagine some of the workers may have not been exactly 25th generation master boat builders...

Another brand i heard good things about is Trintella, but i have no first hand experience.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16   #58

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

here is what i m currently sailing a sun legend 41 pretty fast , solid serious European boat by jeanneau

here is one that is for sale in the usa 1987 Jeanneau Sun Legende 41 à vendre sur 08731, Forked River, États-Unis - boats.com

they usually are valued more around 50/70k€
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:52   #59

One of the reasons you can find many good deals in Europe is that there are many charter and ex-charter boats for sale. These tend to be production boats with one of the most popular being the Bavaria line that is very popular for charter. Be aware that these charter boats will have high engine hours and seen hard use. That does not necessarily make them a bad boat but having tried to buy a Bavaria 42 in the Caribbean that was a charter boat I've decided not to look at them. But you will find lots of non-chartered production boats in Europe that will meet your needs, i.e. not a true bluewater cruiser. IMO a high quality production boat should not be ruled out for even crossing the Atlantic. Remember, unless you plan to never bring the boat back to the US then you will need to sail it back or ship and the shipping is prohibitive for a low cost boat.
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:22   #60

Boat: Scanmar 40

If you shop around a Contessa 32 is considered one of the all time greats. They have done so many circumnavigations and also one of the few yachts to survive the '79 Fastnet.

AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Europe, rope