Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 04:41   #1

Which Production Boat? 2001 or 2005? Bavaria or Beneteau?

We are moving forward with our dream and a goal of buying our boat (remotely, scary!) before the end of March, so she can be in the water and ready for us in May when we fly to Europe and start our adventure.

We have another question. We have been looking at 40-50k Euros (before VAT) production boats of 32-36 ft and have narrowed down our choices to 3 different types of boats

1- (our favourite initially) ex-charter Bavaria 33 Cruisers from 2005-6 and ~2000 hrs on the engine. We thought it seemed spacious enough for two but small enough to be easily and economically cruised, with a moderate age, and hopefully good resale value
2- (then my father found) Bavaria 34 from 2001 privately owned and amazingly taken care of and with all the extras (solar panels, tender and outboard, sprayhood, dodger, new upholstery, down to all the little details like cushions, wind ctacher and mosquito nets). Ready to put on the water and sail away!
3- (and last) we went back to ex-sunsail Beneteau Oceanis 34 with ~2000 hrs, which we originally discarded as we thought they were more expensive (but they are not) and we disliked the mast running through the middle of the saloon, and seeming less spacious down below. But we are aware is a very reputed brand and potentially holds its value better.

Any words of wisdom, opinions, thoughts, preferences to guide us?

Thanks again,
Angus
aj36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 05:19   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Which production boat? 2001 or 2005? Bavaria or Beneteau?

Where do you live currently and where do you plan to cruise? Where in the EU are you now looking to buy a boat?

sorry to answer with just questions... I promise to give real answers when I know a bit more.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 05:27   #3

Boat: Hunter 410 41'

A well maintained privately owned boat defies age. The extras that have been added will cost twice as much than if you were to buy them with the boat. Best part is they are ready to use so you don't have to customize to really work. Listen to the owner as I'm sure they will proudly share thier knowledge. Whichever one you decide on get a survey from a recommended surveyor. Shadow him as he does his job and you'll be months ahead in learning your boat and on your way to enjoying your dreams! My vote is for #2.

Good luck.
jnrdafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 06:14   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I would go with # 2. With the info you have given theres no choice to make !! the second boat listed with the extras aboard already, is miles ahead if it fits your needs for room and sails well I would sure look hard at it ! just my 2 cents, and Im looking also ! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:02   #5

Smile Re: Which production boat? 2001 or 2005? Bavaria or Beneteau?

Thanks guys! Our yachting network is somewhat slim and we seem to be falling into conundrums....on top of all that we are now licking our lips at resale prices in oz!!

To answer your questions Nick, we live in Australia and plan on having a boat by the time we arrive in Europe on the 2nd of May. We are attracted initially to Greece, Turkey, Croatia and then venture further west later into our trip. We're pretty open minded and like the idea of playing it by ear.

The Beneteau Oceanis is 2005 model. Thats probably the biggest issue...Bavaria 34 kitted out and well loved but older (2001) vs the Beneteau Oceanis 34 (2005) looking pretty, running a bit thin on the extras, probably well maintained by Sunsail but pushed by the public. The resale is important as we don't see ourselves being able to hang on to a boat for any great length of time. Probably a couple of years if we take her home to OZ.

Thanks again guys for your opinions and interest!
Old 26-02-2012, 14:18   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
aj,

I would go for the biggest, newest Bavaria that you can afford. If you would have wanted to hold on to it, I would have gone the way of the others that replied to get option 2.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:26   #7

Hmm, thanks. Think I need to have a good look at resale prices over hear.
Old 26-02-2012, 16:21   #8

Re: Which Production Boat? 2001 or 2005? Bavaria or Beneteau?

Make sure you do the math!!

I have travelled to 3 brokers over the last week, between them they had 21 imported boats on the books, the longest was 28 months and at the other end 9 months, all paying marina or hardstand storage fees....

Most have dropped their initial asking price, some more than once, the 28 monther(sp?) started at AUS$230000 and is now asking AUS$160000....

A good point i have picked up on, and something to consider, is that while there are is an increasing number of Aussies heading down this path, there is also an increasing number of foreign cruisers using Australia as their final destination, hoping to capitalise on the high prices been asked.

They invariably land here, pay a bond (in lieu of duties) dump the boat with a broker, then fly home with the hope of receiving a big $$ deposit in there bank account in the near future.....One such boat has been sitting on the hardstand for 18 months sucking AUS$420 every 4 weeks AND suffered two asking price drops, while the owners sweat it out back in Canada...This is one the boats i am watching, the knife is in, and i think one more twist will seal the deal....

One must remember Australia is not a huge market, and we all know which way prices go when a market is flooded.....

Buuuuut, if your intention is to go over and buy a boat and cruise for a few years, then disregard the above......and good luck with your choice...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 16:46   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I see from your other thread that you only intend to cruise/own the boat for 6 months and then sell it. Seems a lot of risk in this market for just 6 months of use. Why not look into chartering something for the period and save yourself a lot of hassle in the end. I'm sure it may appear more expensive at first but I sure run the numbers based on a worse case scenario. May not be easy to find a 6 month charter but then again there maybe owners who would jump at the opportunity of lockup a 6 month charter and give you a great deal.
Old 27-02-2012, 19:15   #10

We are considering chartering. We may suggest an arrangement to the owners of the boat we have our eye on. I think they're location restrictive usually? I guess an arrangement can be drawn up to suit with a private owner? Not so keen on spending much more than 17 000 euros to charter and I don't see that happening.
Shipping a 34 footer amounts to around USD 34 000.00 back to Australia. Ouch! I'd entertain the idea of sailing her home with an experienced blue water sailor but I have a feeling I'd be taking a lot of risk. Have a feeling we just need to get onto the project of selling and start the process upon her purchase!!
Old 28-02-2012, 08:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I too would go with the private boat.

I wonder if the glut down under is related to folks not wanting to cross the Indian Ocean to get home?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 22:09   #12

Any suggestions on what would be a reasonable charter rate offer for a 34 foot 2001 bavaria?? (5 - 6 months)
Old 29-02-2012, 02:45   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj36
We are considering chartering. We may suggest an arrangement to the owners of the boat we have our eye on. I think they're location restrictive usually? I guess an arrangement can be drawn up to suit with a private owner? Not so keen on spending much more than 17 000 euros to charter and I don't see that happening.
Shipping a 34 footer amounts to around USD 34 000.00 back to Australia. Ouch! I'd entertain the idea of sailing her home with an experienced blue water sailor but I have a feeling I'd be taking a lot of risk. Have a feeling we just need to get onto the project of selling and start the process upon her purchase!!
You may suggest it but I doubt it will happen. Firstly there's the issue of security, secondly there's the issue of insurance , the owner would need commercial charter insurance.

It's very rare and I've never come across a long term charter like that unless the owner or his captain was on board.
Old 23-09-2012, 00:51   #14

Also on the Bavaria, I am really confused over the different models actual LENGTH, as there is a huge difference between a Bavaria 9.99m and 10.01m in berthing costs here in Spain (37% extra!). Can anyone clarify this as I am buying next month.
Feeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 11:17   #15

Hi,
I know it's a old post, but i give it a try Amm, i like the Bavaria models, and i wanna buy one, but i don't know much about it.. hm, Bavaria 30? Bavaria 34? Bavaria 38? Suggest me a good one.
Samir007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, beneteau