Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 12:24   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
For that price, I would look into a custom design and build. Most of these boats are created to function much more as long distance cruisers. That isn't what you are looking for, and I think some of the compromises made to hew to that design brief would run counter to your needs and wants.
I don't think one million is enough for a quality custom build in this size, nor even for a new Contest, Oyster, etc of this size.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 14:48   #32

Wink Re: Best 55ish Foot Sailboat

Accomplice: I want everything. Unfortunately, I know I must compromise on something.

I want a somewhat traditional look but with a spacious interior, which still could have a traditional feel- teak,etc. Hate modern looking boats. Raised salons are fine and i like the light and room. I do not like the look of a deck salon. As for Catamarans, I chartered one and felt like i was on a power boat with a sail. Sailing quality is a must. Speed is nice but smooth, stable sailing, and quality equipment is more important. I do not intend to have big parties on the boat but a decent size cockpit would be nice.

I had not thought of a used boat because it just seemed that if you spend that much, it would "feel good" to have something brand (no pun intended) new. Something to consider.

I appreciate everyone's responses.
BuzBay Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:06   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Best 55ish Foot Sailboat

Whilst many think $1m is a lot of money for a new boat it ain't when you are talking 55 feet.

So I think your Oysters, Hylas, Swans etc are out.

And nothing much thats made to look old.

For new its probably Boat Show time to start scoping out whats there.

For a new boat in that size theres the Jeaneau 57 which is a cracker.. And all up with all options still nicely under $1m

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:10   #34

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Just as with automobiles, the first buyer usually takes the big hit, especially in such an economy as today's. Also the first buyer generally has to shake it down and correct the inevitable deficiencies. It takes much effort to get a new vessel truly ready for a passage.

A brand new boat is like buying a partially built kit with many missing parts. Building a one-off is much worse, unless vast yachting experience has developed in you very sophisticated tastes. Then the project can be fulfilling, even though you don't get to go sailing right away.

The best bang for your $1m will be in buying a creampuff of high pedigree (both yard and architect) whose knowledgeable owners have cruised in it, themselves. This boat will be all done with construction, outfitting, shaking down. It will have detailed logs and records supporting every piece of equipment on the boat. And it will already be equipped with many items needed for cruising, including comprehensive spare parts and service manuals for all machinery and equipment. And even items that an up-scale yacht wants to have, like fitted sheets, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
...theres the Jeaneau 57...
One can do SO much better.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:05   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
(...) If you plan to spend $1M on a boat, why buy one that's 25 years old? (...)
Bueno. They seem to be losing 50% value every 6 years.

So 1 mio in a 25 y.o. boat represents a 16 mio boat of today.

On the second thought, maybe somewhat less, as the relationship may be different beyond the first 6 years. (?)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:09   #36

And stop bashing that poor Swan mates. They were built for the cans and they were great at this in their time too.

If someone wants to cross oceans in an 80'ies can sailer that's OK in my book. Some like it wet. It is sailing. You are supposed to get wet.

b.
Old 25-09-2014, 16:17   #37

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzBay Sailor View Post
Accomplice: I want everything. Unfortunately, I know I must compromise on something.

I want a somewhat traditional look but with a spacious interior, which still could have a traditional feel- teak,etc. Hate modern looking boats. Raised salons are fine and i like the light and room. I do not like the look of a deck salon. As for Catamarans, I chartered one and felt like i was on a power boat with a sail. Sailing quality is a must. Speed is nice but smooth, stable sailing, and quality equipment is more important. I do not intend to have big parties on the boat but a decent size cockpit would be nice.

I had not thought of a used boat because it just seemed that if you spend that much, it would "feel good" to have something brand (no pun intended) new. Something to consider.

I appreciate everyone's responses.
For $1m you will be looking for something in the quality brands that is 5 - 10 y/o. I would aim for the $8 - 900 bracket because spending 100 on upgrades to a 55 footer is REAL easy. Here's a HR that might suit.

2008 Hallberg-Rassy 54 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 18:18   #38

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And stop bashing that poor Swan mates. They were built for the cans and they were great at this in their time too.

If someone wants to cross oceans in an 80'ies can sailer that's OK in my book. Some like it wet. It is sailing. You are supposed to get wet.

b.
I don't bash the quality or sailing ability of Swans at all, great boats, but as you say they were built for the cans (I said regatta) and not to be particularly comfortable while cruising offshore, especially while on watch. It's also perfectly OK with me if someone ELSE wants to cross oceans in an 80's can sailor, but personally, for a million bucks, I'd prefer to do my getting wet in the heated shower down below, not on deck with 3 hours left to go on my watch..
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 18:40   #39

Google Shannon boats.

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 19:19   #40

I wonder how many people here bashing Swans had acutally spent a day in one, let alone sailed one for a while. Wet, shmet, those owners who don't want to be wet custom order hard dodgers, bimini tops to suit, etc. When you spend originally that much $ on a boat another $10-20K on a quality hard dodger won't kill ya.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 02:09   #41

Boat: Baltic 38DP

My personal preference would be to take a boat like that Swan 53, completely strip it and rebuild it. $1 million should get you there. But it will take at least a year.

But the other option (for me) is something more classic in design.

This Hoek design 51 is almost brand new (for sale a couple of months after delivery summer 2013). Hoek Brokerage » Truly Classic 51

I love that boat. But of course, much less room inside than a modern boat and only a 51 footer.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 04:22   #42

I think an AUS website states a brand new Amel 55 is EUR 980k before extras. This will place a 2 to 3 y.o. Amel 54 well below USD 1 mio.

Not sure what the benefits of a brand new are as I see most brand new owners spending their lives at the dock talking to factory servicemen and waiting.

So, in my neck of wood, a quality 55' at 1 mio (USD), is easily available, mint.

If one accepts a more mass production one then a brand new is easily available too.

Plain vanilla mass production boats seem to lose value slower than "quality" boats. So to anyone thinking of resale they may be the "better investment" too.

Buying and restore? Think twice. I boat advertised in YM that came at .7 after fullish refit is on the market right now (two years down the pipe) at .35. You have been warned.

b.
Old 26-09-2014, 06:04   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzBay Sailor View Post

You should also look at some of the used boats. We found one (our current Oyster) where the previous owner made every single choice as I would have... then added even more options where I would have hesitated. We ended up getting much more boat for the money and one with only 600 hours on the engine. The interior was like brand new with the bed linens still in the original packaging. Why not look at 2 million dollar boats which can be had for 1 million?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 06:42   #44

Boat: Kaufman 47

Second the Amel 55,really nice boats..

Boreal are in half that range and could use the remainder on gear and fitting out the boat with whatever you want.. Just a thought, though I don't know that many boat manufacturers yet.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 18:21   #45

Boat: Hylas 54

Hylas no doubt. We have one and absolutely love her, but more importantly completely trust her in a blow. Awesome yacht...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum