Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 07:17   #1

Boat: Looking
Bermuda 40

Hi All

I'm looking for my first boat and I'd like some opinions regarding a Bermuda 40. This would be my first sailboat. Sailed with my Dad as a kid and did a summer part time boat rental on a Beneteau 32 some years ago. I received several instructor sessions on the boat prior to taking the boat out myself.
I'm 59 years old in pretty good shape and I'm wondering if 40 feet is a bit too ambitious for a first time owner especially with my limited experience since I will be single handing most of the time.

The boat I'm interested is on the link below. I would have to have it set up for single handed sailing and add some electronics.
The B40 is my dream boat. I would use it for cruising the Chesapeake bay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8063208/
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 07:44   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Bermuda 40

The B40 is my dream boat. I would use it for cruising the Chesapeake bay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...-yawl-8063208/[/QUOTE]
=====================
Believe you have answered your question.
She is a dream
Enjoy her
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 08:25   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The B40s are one of the few boats that are really deserving of the term "Classic".
Take you just about anywhere,, and always easy on the eyes.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 12:56   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The one in the YW listing is a real head turner and would get many compliments. Always liked the look of them as well as other CCA type boats w/the long overhang.
Did own a CCA boat for many years and it had certain attributes I'm not sure I would want after owning lots of other boats.

The boat lays over easily to get increased waterline which was sometimes nice flirting with dipping the rail in the water. They move fairly well, but have found over the years the a stiffer boat, staying upright is usually faster and more comfortable. In this particular boat, I didn't notice too many hand holds below, possibly making it difficult to get to the head or work below while going windward. This could be easily fixed with some overhead handrails.

The long foot/boom on the main is a great driver on the boat. As the wind pipes up usually you need to reef relatively early to reduce weather helm. As long as you understand this and reef early, its not an issue. The boat will typically be faster after reefing.

This would be a heck of a first boat and the one in listing appears to be in great shape, especially w/an almost new Yanmar.

I believe the OP started another thread indicating they purchased a new how w/5' MLW. With a draft of 4.5' this should work well.

Good luck and keep us posted if you make the purchase!
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 13:42   #5

She looks wonderful. Reportedly a sweet boat too. I was acquainted with a couple years ago that had one.
Probably everyone's "dream boat"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 17:49   #6

Boat: Tartan 40
Bermuda 40

Perfect for Chesapeake Bay with shoal draft. I sailed on one for years including up the coast to Maine. Very solid and handles heavy weather well. Faster than it’s given credit for but not in light air and certainly not upwind.
Build quality has to be seen to be believed- extremely well built with no creaks or groans underway. They cut no corners but systems will always need replacing
Would be a great first boat. Or second. Go for it.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 19:08   #7

There really is no sweeter boat on the water. After a while, you'll get used to every sailor pausing to watch you come into the harbor. And going upwind while sitting to leeward at the helm is pure joy.

You'll have no difficulty single handing her. The B40 is a very small 40ft boat. About the same interior space as a modern 32ft boat. Think about getting a yawl instead of a sloop.This makes each sail even smaller and easier to handle. It also gives you the option of sailing with just the genoa and mizzen in stronger winds instead of dealing with reefing the main.

But owning a B40 is like owning a classic car. There's a special place in Hell for an owner who does not properly maintain a B40. If you don't love varnishing, you'll need to spend a lot of money on someone who does.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 19:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Second all the above. A B40 in my opinion one of the most beautiful boats on the water. At one time it was also my dream boat and if I won the lottery it would be a fun day sailor to hang on the mooring.

But one downside. The long overhangs and the narrow beam make this also one of the smallest 40' boats on the water. A Catalina 30 has more interior space than the B40.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 07:51   #9

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Beautiful boat, as noted by all. No "buts" about it.

I delivered one from St Thomas to NYC in 1971 and we sailed the entire way, batteries died and we kept going rather than turn around. Sails well in a wide range of conditions. As a coastal cruiser it is an excellent choice. I love the head turning feature. You should get a sailing Dyer painted in the big boat livery, as well.

Enjoy
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 12:20   #10

Boat: Looking

Thank you all for the feedback. All the positive messages do reinforce my decision but I only had one person opine on single handing a B40. Again I sailed as kid with my Dad and about ten years ago did a partial lease for the summer on a 32 ft boat. I don't want to buy something that's too much for me. If I purchase the boat I will hire an instructor to go out with me several times before I venture out by myself. I'm 59 years old and trim but not in particularly great shape. Too many years chained to a desk I'm afraid. So if you think I'm making a big mistake please let me know.

Thanks again for your feedback.

P.S. I'm only considering the yawl. Smaller sails, mizzen and jib sailing in heavy weather plus I love the way they look.
P.P.S. I have my own dock so I won't have the pressure of trying to dock in a crowded marina.
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 16:15   #11

Boat: Beneteau 461

The Bermuda 40 is a great boat for coastal cruising as well as some offshore work. Her displacement to length and hull form make for a great combination is most sea states. Remember, she is only 40 ft long. The yawl rig is easily single handed and offers much versatility. With a full keel and rudder at the end makes for a slower turning boat around a mark. The centerboard is a nice option. But, most important, they are quite appealing to the eye and a lot of fun when you get a rail in the water. They are a wee tight down below by todays standards.
Jim Greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:02   #12

Boat: Tartan 40

If it has a headsail furler then the B40 is a great boat to single hand. In heavy breeze can skip mainsail and deploy mizzen and headsail only, all from cockpit, and be quite balanced. Also, main sheet is closer at hand to helm than most other boats, being aft.
It’s a forgiving solid boat. I’d suggest a good below deck autopilot if it doesn’t have it and you will be fine singlehanding
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 13:21   #13

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Single handed sailing is more about the sailor than the boat as in how the sailor sets up the boat for single handing. We double handed our boat most of the time and it was easy because we started out with a set up for solo.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:05   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As old Nat said, "a good looking boat is a good boat" or something to that effect. The Bermuda 40 is the best looking boat ever designed in my opinion. Have lusted after them since I started sailing. Unfortunately the reality of the maintenance of all that teak on deck means you better like to varnish constantly or suffer depreciation in value.

Believe there were 3 variations on the theme, each new one with a taller mast, larger sail area. I'd limit my search to the Mark III version if you are a seriously committed sailor. The taller mast will make it a better light air boat. One owner put a much taller carbon stick on his boat and he was very happy with the improved performance.

If this is a good as the blurb and pictures, it is the best value on the market. The rig has been changed to a double spreader so may be a taller mast. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...da-40-7587460/
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:47   #15

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I'm doing some canvas work on one now.

I'm seriously in LUST and am looking forward to being occasional crew on her.
kayakerChuck is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda