Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 20:17   #1

Asymmetric Spinnaker Without a Bowsprit ?

Can an asymmetric spinnaker be run without a bowsprit ?

Imagine a modern Beneteau 40 or so ,or any boat with no sprit; could I run a block off the fore deck (attached to what ? must be something there) and run a tack line through it ?
barrett bondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:26   #2

Boat: c&c landfall 43
yes I do it on my C&C . tack line goes to a block above the anchor and then to a cleat. The trick for me is that the tack is let out about 3 to 4 feet out so it clears the bow sprit. control is a bit more difficult but works and can be gybed. I do prefer to use my geniker with sock thow.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:32   #3

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
You might be able to tack to your stemhead fitting if you don't have anything in the way that might snag the sail. I used to do this on a friend's morgan with excelent results,attaching outside of the bowrail.You might add a little wire pigtail to help avoid chafe if there's room to do so.All depends on the length of your luff and the hight of your mast.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 21:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Depending on the luff length of your asymmetric you may want to get something like this to control the luff.

It's on my wish list...

ATN Tacker
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 23:54   #5

saving up for one??? seems it could be made on a lazy Sunday after a short trip to the hardware store and chandlery
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 23:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So what are these lazy Sundays I hear tell of? - LOL...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31   #7

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
If you don't already have a pole, this thing is cheaper obviously....it does seem to chafe quite a bit on the furled headsail though, and cannot ever perform like a chute flewn from the pole as I understand it.

So what's the point? With a sock for the chute, it's manageable even single-handed given winds > 15 knots and not too big swells...
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17   #8

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Do you have an anchor roller that you could use?
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
If you don't already have a pole, this thing is cheaper obviously....it does seem to chafe quite a bit on the furled headsail though, and cannot ever perform like a chute flewn from the pole as I understand it.

So what's the point? With a sock for the chute, it's manageable even single-handed given winds > 15 knots and not too big swells...
I used an ATN Tacker on my IP 380. You can certainly rig your asym without one, but the primary advantage it offers is to keep the tack of the sail centered on the bow when you ease the tack line to trim the sail for a more offwind direction. Conversely, it holds the tack in tight when you want to pinch up. Not too many people rig an asym with a pole, but if you want the control a pole offers, the Tacker eliminates the need for the pole, topping lift and downhaul--makes it much easier for single-handing or short-handed boats.

It's made of slick plastic, so it doesn't chafe the furled headsail at all. It really doesn't have a function in terms of "managing" the sail when setting or dousing.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I used an ATN Tacker on my IP 380. You can certainly rig your asym without one, but the primary advantage it offers is to keep the tack of the sail centered on the bow when you ease the tack line to trim the sail for a more offwind direction. Conversely, it holds the tack in tight when you want to pinch up. Not too many people rig an asym with a pole, but if you want the control a pole offers, the Tacker eliminates the need for the pole, topping lift and downhaul--makes it much easier for single-handing or short-handed boats.

It's made of slick plastic, so it doesn't chafe the furled headsail at all. It really doesn't have a function in terms of "managing" the sail when setting or dousing.
Interesting. I stand corrected. Guess I read too fast since I've got a symmetrical spinnaker. Never seen on of those in action and would like to see it. doesn't it move quite a bit up and down the furled headsail? To me that seems like a less than appreciated side effect.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's the attraction for me Hud. I currently fly the asym on the pole. We also have a short luff/long tack line.

I tried to fly the asym on the bow fitting with 3 competent crew. It was a wild ride. We couldn't tighten the luff enough to keep the spinnaker near the boat as we reached. That was using the pole downhaul (4:1) on the tack.

The aym is a great sail for reaching but I'd like to get rid of the complexity of the pole.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Interesting. I stand corrected. Guess I read too fast since I've got a symmetrical spinnaker. Never seen on of those in action and would like to see it. doesn't it move quite a bit up and down the furled headsail? To me that seems like a less than appreciated side effect.
Actually it shouldn't move move up and down much.

You haul the spinnaker up till it's made. The tack downhaul is attached to the tacker (not the spinnaker) so you haul it down as much as you need and basically it stays there. The tack of the sail is attached to the tacker with a pelican. In theory after the douse and the spinnaker is unclipped the tacker can drop down to the furling drum and sit there and not impede the furler action.

By throwing a loop around the forestay where the spinnaker tack is located (up off the deck) the forestay takes the side loads off the tack line and the spinnaker tack stays nice and close to the centerline of the boat and therefor the luff stays closer in.

I see your point about chafe - I'm interested to hear if Hud noticed any on his boat.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
...doesn't it move quite a bit up and down the furled headsail? To me that seems like a less than appreciated side effect.
It doesn't move at all unless you adjust the tack line.

The proper way to rig it is to run a tack line from the base of the Tacker down through a block on the bowsprit, anchor roller or tang (whatever you have that works) then back to the cockpit, using stanchion blocks to lead it fair. Then you can use a winch to adjust the sail up or down. The pressure of the sail wants to pull the Tacker up, so the tack line always as pressure on it. It works smooth as silk--no chafe at all.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
saving up for one??? seems it could be made on a lazy Sunday after a short trip to the hardware store and chandlery
Actually there is also this "plan" for a home made one out there as well.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:43   #15

@Hud3

OK, I see. would be interesting to try out once for sure.

Tags
asymmetric, bowsprit, spinnaker