Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 16:07   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Are rotten decks a death sentence?

Unless you are very handy with tools, have the time, the patience, and fortitude, I'd be putting my walking shoes on iffen I wuz you.

Bargain based prices typically indicate an owner wanting to get out at any price and let the next sucker....er....buyer....deal with the problem.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 16:12   #17

Boat: Downeaster 38

That’s what I keep thinking. People seem to have an extreme reaction to deck rot.

I know it’s bad, but are we missing deals not taking desperate sellers up on such large discounts?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 16:14   #18

Self performance may be the key here.

I’m a carpenter and feel the core replacement looks easy, but time consuming.

I don’t know how to make it look like a nice deck again after patching however ��
Old 19-02-2024, 16:26   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
That’s what I keep thinking. People seem to have an extreme reaction to deck rot.
Some boat are relatively easy with some glass experience ... others ... time to walk. A good glass guy will know the difference.
Old 19-02-2024, 16:30   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Thomas, that's a different question!

Try the CF Custom Google search under the search button. Enter " Catalina 34 + Deck Repair".

Here's one of the links I found you might want to read. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...re-239375.html

If it's actually wet plywood core, it will be worse to repair than if it's balsa core, as long as it is just small spots in the balsa at the deck penetrations. If the plywood's all wet, it is not just a question of scooping it out, as one does with the balsa. The top has to be carefully cut and lifted off (rig out, stored off the boat for the duration, and boat will need to be in a shed--$$$$$). The gelcoat can be re-done, though, but then you're talking big bucks, as it is a highly skilled labor sort of job. However, paint can cover a multitude of sins.

Andale pronto, mate, run fast.
Old 19-02-2024, 16:57   #21
Marine Service Provider

I spent many years building my first boat.
During that time I also met countless folk taking on various and sundry craft that were in one or other state of disrepair.
Many people get smitten by the dream and take on "project boats" due to their enticing price.
It doesn't take long before lady reality comes knocking on the door and starts taking really big bites out yer wallet.
Before you know it, you'll be broke with hardly a thing to show for it.

JPA sums it up perfectly....mate, run fast !!!!
Old 19-02-2024, 16:59   #22

The painting part is what scares me!

Watching videos cutting the deck off, removing core, and fitting new ply looks like a breeze. Laying the new core in even looks pretty easy.

Making it look like a deck after might be problematic for me…
Old 19-02-2024, 17:14   #23

Mic, I guess that’s the elephant in the room… I’m assuming it’s a boat that has a lot going for it, but failed a survey at the chain plate deck fittings. The deck being THE project. (excluding more normal boat things you should expect in any used purchase)

I’m pretty sure I just watched a man with 3 teeth replace a fishing skiff front deck in a weekend on YouTube
Old 19-02-2024, 17:31   #24

Boat: Volkscruiser

Tom before you start having a wet dream over this yacht you need to find your nearest DIY boatyard and what their costs are. I would budget 14 days' work on the deck. Sure, not every day will be 8 hours but there is going to be some days where you will have to wait for things to dry. The job will probably stretch to three weeks if you're working out in the open.
Then contact your local marine supplies and see what the cost of the core, resin and fiberglass cloth is. When it comes to core, I would be going for whatever is on special. She's an old boat and whatever you use will last the rest of the boats lifetime if you do the job well.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 17:44   #25
Marine Service Provider

My experience has been that as soon as you start uncovering one problem area, you will likely discover one or more other problems resulting from the first problem, and pretty soon your 3 week, $3,000 job turns into a 3 month, $30,000 job. Soon after that, you will likely give up and wonder just what in blue blazes made you tackle the boat in the first place. Then you will be stuck with an unfinished boat. Good luck trying to sell that.
Old 19-02-2024, 17:53   #26

This ad was so typical too… dropped like $20k and didn’t amend the description one bit lol

The 1991 pics in ads crack me up too…. We have the boat in our yard. We could walk out and take current photos, buuuut these pictures of the boat in front of the twin towers look soooo good 😊
Old 19-02-2024, 17:55   #27

This is just for discussion. I didn’t even set up a viewing after the deck information.

It did make me wonder if an ambitious younger man could really steal a boat with elbow grease though?
Old 19-02-2024, 18:05   #28
Marine Service Provider

Ha, funny. Boats have an uncanny way of pulling the blinders over many a dreamer. You wouldn't be the first to hear the siren song of the cheap fixer upper.
Old 19-02-2024, 18:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Unless you are very handy with tools, have the time, the patience, and fortitude, I'd be putting my walking shoes on iffen I wuz you.

Bargain based prices typically indicate an owner wanting to get out at any price and let the next sucker....er....buyer....deal with the problem.
I’ve got a lot of skills, but I don’t have the time. Well… I do but I’m lazy 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 19-02-2024, 18:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Ha, funny. Boats have an uncanny way of pulling the blinders over many a dreamer. You wouldn't be the first to hear the siren song of the cheap fixer upper.
When I was like 25 we drove two states over to look at a decade old bayliner 2452. That boat was coming home with me when I pulled out of the driveway.

It was like a greenhouse inside when we opened it up. Chalky fiberglass. The broker even tried to talk me in to a survey lol

We paid asking, drove that boat home an hour later, rubbed our hands raw cleaning it, and got creamed selling it…

Best decision we ever made. Loved that POS.

Tags
deck, enc, rot