Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2024, 13:28   #1

1st offshore ocean passage & fishing questions

Hey folks,

Since posting on here last, ive hauled my family down the american river system from the great lakes to the gulf of mexico and have been enjoying pensacolas mild climate quite thoroghly.

We had to ditch the 1980 nissan 8hp 2 stroke at a marina that was conviniently owned by a guy who also owned a mercury marine dealership, so now i have this rediculous 150# efi remote start fancy pants XL shaft high thrust 15 horse up in the v berth. If anyone wants, dm me - its got 98h on it and under warrenty. I had to get all the doo dads so.... but i digress. No other major replairs were incurred. Our ev inboard is also amply suitable to life at anchor, 200ah and i use 5-20a under power (20a is approaching 5knts on glass).

We are planning on sailing south to the keys on the first fair window of march, laying over and hitting the publix on marathon, then catching the next window towards the usvi/pr.

My 1st mate (step-son) is 15 and cannot get a passport without his bio dads signature, and said dude was deported to mexico a decade ago and got involved in something shady and.. isnt avaliable to sign off on the passport... so we are planning on sailing north from the keys about to jacksonville, reprovisioning again, and then rumlining towards a point about 50nm south of bermuda before heading dead south to st thomas. Now here come the questions

1) as pertains to the gulf stream (something my great lakes native self has no experience with) ive heard its best to go north than sail ENE or NE until youve crossed it. Is jacksonville far enough? Id rather shorten that northerly coastal leg is possible.

2) them 'canes. We originally were aiming for cape fear area as a final destination (ugh accidental pun. Wood knocked.) But ive heard we're noticably less likely to encounter a major hurricane as far south as the usvi (i know, less likely =/= unlikely). Thoughts on the likelihood and suitability of the greater usvi/PR area during the summer months? I love the heat

3) distance from bermuda. I have my STEP son and not his mother aboard, and he has no passport or official ID. I have his birth cert (state issued). I will also have a copy of my wifes ID which matches said cert, and a notarized letter from her authorizing the trip. I want to deal with as few customs and immigration people as possible, and would love any and all advice about departing flordia direct for usvi customs, how close to get to bermuda (not stopping), or any other relevant consideration i might be missing.

4) fish. fish. FISH. i want to troll for pelagics (thats right, right? Tuna and mahi mahi and ... sushi) soooo bad and have very little fishing experience that didnt involve casting from shore. Ive read and youtubed hand lines and lures and baits and etc fairly thoroghly but am curious if theres a favorite setup (i will not be storing ballywho. Ballyhoo? Ballyhow? Or etc meat aboard as we have zero refridgeration. I do have 37 salted pork loins and 12 salted chuck roasts however, so if thats a thing let me know.) From what ive read ill likely be grabbing 2 deep diving xrap types (colors? Sizes?) And 2 islander squid type lures (same, colors? Sizes?) Along with a cedar plug and some j hooks. How far astern? Speed relevant only in vessel controllability or? Time of day? Any advice or things you may know that i clearly dont are amply welcome.

Please do feel free to poke holes in anything i may be overlooking, and as always any/all advice is deeply appreciated. Witbout this forum and its knowledgable members i very well may have not succeeded thus far - so thank you all in post and in advance!

Ps. Typing on phone in mild swells, sorry for less than stellar grammar/spelling/syntax

Pps. As pertains to general concerns about experience and the length of these passages, my longest stint underway was the chicago mac on lake michigan and back a few times. I feel confidant that crew, captain, and ship are fully versed on the realities of sailing 500nm, then 500nm, then 2000nm ish. My spare locker is organized and full. My rig is literally awesome. Sailing tackle and lines etc inspected and in good order with spares, we have several new books and three completely untouched d&d campaigns (lots and lots of offline entertainment value). Our food stores are ample, our solar is strong, our motor is fit, i see no troublesome corrosion/creaks/cracks/squeaks/groans/moans/blisters/broken tabbing etc etc. Fit and fine as far as the finest comb i have + a month of shakedown sails can tell.

Anyway. Thanks in advance and may your wives always think it smells good down below.
Indefatiguable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 18:06   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: 1st offshore ocean passage & fishing questions

To just focus on the navigation aspect…

I see no need to go anywhere as far north as “50 nm south of Bermuda “. In your situation I might provision in Lake Worth Florida to stay as southerly as possible, but Saint Augustine is also a fine place to provision.

Departing from Lake Worth Florida set a course as easterly as possible with the aim to pass just north of the Bahamas. By the time you are north of the Bahamas the boat will have passed the heaviest current of the Gulf Stream and any northerly set from the current will be greatly diminished. Then continue making best easterly course, which is likely actually NE depending on the wind. When you get to 65 degrees west longitude turn south or east south east aiming for a point a bit east of USVI. Adjust your course to arrive at USVI when you get closer.

Right now there is a big high pressure system that would make a nice ride all the way. This system would support an initial course of NE, eventually shifting to E far out in the ocean, then gradually turning S for a reach into St Thomas.

So in summary pick your weather and departure day. A southerly wind would be ideal by for departure but even in the prevailing easterlies make your best course north of the Bahamas, then sail as east as possible, a north east course is fine if so dictated by the wind. Turn south at about 65 degrees latitude looking for the easterly trade winds. Steer for a point to windward of your destination until such time as the boat is close enough to not fall to leeward of your destination.
Old 27-02-2024, 18:17   #3

Re: 1st offshore ocean passage & fishing questions

Brent, that would be amazingly shorter. Roughly 800-1000 nm shorter in fact. Thanks for the tip, ill look into it in earnest!
Indefatiguable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, formosa, gulf stream, hurricane, offshore, passage, Puerto Rico, usvi