Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 07:25   #46

Boat: Schooner scow
Re: Alternatives to Rocna / Mantus M1

If your cruising and want a safe comfortable night’s sleep in less than ideal conditions, then find a way to fit that Manson or ROCNA. Generally, racing gear and boat configurations don’t lend themselves to cruising demands. Best of luck configuring for both simultaneously.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:36   #47

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreet View Post
If your cruising and want a safe comfortable night’s sleep in less than ideal conditions, then find a way to fit that Manson or ROCNA. Generally, racing gear and boat configurations don’t lend themselves to cruising demands. Best of luck configuring for both simultaneously.
"Generally, racing gear and boat configurations don’t lend themselves to cruising demands."

In which ways? Generally I've found the priorities different for the set-up and design of boats for racing vs cruising but in my experience the limitations are in the priority of the owner, not the boat.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:51   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I concur, a properly used anchor for cruising that boat isn’t going to fit in the bow locker. It probably won’t fit the factory roller either.
Interesting ... we have a PS Crealock 34, and our 65# Mantus storm anchor fits in the bow roller just fine.
(We don’t normally carry it there, it’s our storm anchor, but we’re in Grenada for hurricane season and it’s there on our chain now, ready for deployment should we need to drop our mooring to get out of the way of a dragging boat.)
carlwk3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:53   #49

Boat: Schooner scow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
"Generally, racing gear and boat configurations don’t lend themselves to cruising demands."

In which ways? Generally I've found the priorities different for the set-up and design of boats for racing vs cruising but in my experience the limitations are in the priority of the owner, not the boat.
Probably the best example is the one the original poster cited. His need to find an anchor to fit his existing anchor roller/davit rather than choosing an appropriate anchor as a first priority and then selecting a roller/davit to accommodate it. I’ve raced and cruised. When I was racing, weight and streamlining was paramount. My choice of ground tackle was I must admit not optimal as a result. When I cruised especially offshore and in the Caribbean, ground tackle and redundant systems were critical to me. Weight and streamlining were very low priorities.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:55   #50

Boat: Trintella 47

Sold my Rocna after it dragged several times and wouldn’t reset, and bought a Spade.
Spade is superb and has never dragged.
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:17   #51

Boat: Fisher 25 motorsailer

After trying many types of anchors for my Fisher motorsailer, I finally settled on a Bulwagga anchor. Bulwagga anchors will stick in anytype of bottom and no matter which way they turn, at least two of three flukes will be burried. A Bulwagga anchor is sort of a three-bladed Danforth. Check them out on line. About ten years ago, Practical Sailor magazine ran tests and the Bulwagga came out on top. I have now been using Bulwagga anchors on all my boats for more than ten years. They will also fit in a standard bow holder made for Danforths.
DHHerndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:44   #52

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Get the anchor you need then get the rollers to fit the anchor. An anchor that may look as you say "ridiculously oversized" while at your dock on a warm calm day may look great and do its job when you're trying to find a place to spend the night during a nasty blow.

If you like the Bruce but want to upgrade, get a bigger Bruce. I've used a 44 pounder on my 43 foot boat for several years without problems. When it was first used, a couple times it had difficulty penetrating the hard packed sand which is often encountered in our cruising areas. A few minutes with an angle grinder to sharpen the leading edges (not shaving sharp, more like a butter knife) cured the problem and now it penetrates quickly and goes deep in those areas. Another advantage of the Bruce is that it sells for a fraction of the Mantus and Rocna prices.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:03   #53

Boat: X-342; 34 feet;

When I bought my - new to me - X-342, (34 feet-5 t. keelboat), it was equipped with a 10 kg. SS Bruce anchor in the bow, and 30 m. 8 mm SS chain in the locker.
Sailing in Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Danish waters, we experienced several situations, where this anchor did not hold ...
After several analysis regarding power and space at the bow, we decided for a SPADE - S100 - weighing 20 kg. and added 50 m. of chain to a total of 80 m.
It has turned out to be a very good decision, as we anchor a lot in the Nordic archipelagos ...
No more problems with stronger wind, windshift, shift of current, increasing wawes, different bottom conditions, etc.
It was possible to instal the S100 in the existing bow rollers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3wfw8yu2D3Fz6mHE7
Flemming Torp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39   #54

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Anchors also tend to look smaller once they're mounted on the boat. My 33kg / 73 lb Vulcan looked downright massive on the garage floor when it first arrived. I sat there thinking "I don't care what the tape measure says, there's no way that'll fit." But once it was on the boat, it didn't look nearly as big. And it fit just as well as the measurements said it should.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:39   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
What about the Mantus M2? It doesn't appear to have a roll bar. Does anyone have any feed back on why one would choose the M1 or the M2? Interested because I will be looking for a new anchor for a Sabre 42.

Foster
The roll bar is one of the reasons to buy an M1 so it rolls over and sets every time. Change out the roller and if too big to fit into your locker secure it to the deck where you don't step or travel on. I'd rather have an oversize anchor than start drifting away at night.
GetAway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:41   #56

Boat: Beneteau 423

Try a spade anchor fits in the bow roller area on most boats. No roll bar and great penetrating power.

The Rocna Vulcan is a close copy.
sjcdwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 15:03   #57

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Check out the Ultra anchors the Web site gives you dimensions
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 15:14   #58

Looking at the sizing charts of both Manson and Rocna, you have a seriously UNDER sized anchor for the size/weight of boat. Sounds like you need to increase the pulpit and get the proper size anchor.
And go with SPADE, I've seen enough comments and videos to buy anything else.
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 18:33   #59

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlySailor View Post
Hello we have a 38 foot boat with about 18k pounds displacement. I wanted to upgrade our ground tackle from the 15kg Bruce anchor that sits on our undersized roller while cruising and in the bow locker while racing. I bought a Mantus M1 (also 15 kg)and it was comically oversized and won’t fit on our roller or in our bow locker. Is there a good alternative I should look at? Anyone have any luck. For reference our boat is an Xyachts 38 and we cruise LIS, block, New England and hopefully the Caribbean at some point.
I have # 5 Sarca Excel on all 10mm chain on my 40ft ketch, resets quickly and does not clog with mud.
Anyway check out their range.
Good luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 19:29   #60

I have a 65Lb M2 Mantus Anchor for our 3870 M/Y and LOVE it!
PortHoleDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mantus, rocna