Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 20:10   #1

Aloha 27

Hello,
I would be grateful for any comments on the Aloha 27. I have just viewed one (I had an Aloha 34 -- the Ted Brewer job -- years go, so I trust the quality). She looks very solid, in pristine condition, I am just a little concerned about space to store things when living aboard for the whole Summer. There are no quarter berths to stuff containers into. It is the model with the silly curved berth -- idiotic, if pretty. I could live with that, I'd be mostly solo. I take it the BMW Diesel is all right. My only other misgiving is with the alcohol stove. I hate alcohol stoves. But I know I am in the minority here. Any other caveats or comments that could help me with a fairly urgent decision, after having searched for a year and a half?
Thank you folks for whatever you can contribute.
Ernie
Ernest Skublics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:24   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Aloha 27

Does it have a saildrive? I'm probably venturing close to the fire by frowning on saildrives but they can be worrysome, IMO. There was an Aloha 27 with a saildrive unit at our marina that partially sank at the dock due to the seal around the drive leaking.
In my search for a boat a few years ago I looked at a Niagra 31 that also would have required seal replacement, did not get it just for tht reason as it is too big of a vulnerable hole.
For the boat itself, the owner spoke very positive of it.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:46   #3

Thanks, Nicholson. It is a BMW Diesel -- I think traditional drive shaft, not like Saildrive. I've seen mixed reviews on the BMW, but I cannot believe it to be a bad engine.
Ernie
Old 22-04-2015, 08:51   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

Coming from a 34' yes I can see some adjustment to the 27, although I know in my case I carry probably way too much gear just because I have ample stowage compartments. If it was just for myself, 27' would be quite sufficent, i think??
Guess a lot depends on what your sailing intentions are at this stage of the game and also your budget.
availability of replacement parts may come to mind regarding the BMW engine and/or their cost. Are they even still in production, might not be an issue now but may come back to bite you?
Don't be too hasty, there seems to be endless quality boats for sale out there and one is sure to meet your needs.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:01   #5

The little BMW engine is a VERY rough running beast. I used to race with someone who had one. Not a highly touted engine, but finding a 27 with a diesel is kind of hard any way... everything is a compromise. Not sure how well you can find the marinized parts on that engine either...?
My impression is the Aloha's are not highly touted boats... but that could be wrong. Anyone have actual experience with one?
At any rate, I would assume an A27 is nearly a free boat, and certainly not more than $5k in great condition.... don't pay too much.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:22   #6

Thanks for the good pointers on the BMW. I guess the marine engine is not in the same league as their cars.
Old 22-04-2015, 11:56   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

The Aloha 27 was a Robert Perry design and, as one of the gurus of 'performance cruisers' in the day, Bob designed a boat that was not only pretty, but that performed decently. While I have not sailed on one personally, I have sailed against them in the past and that was certainly my impression.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote