Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2020, 06:43   #16

Re: Allied Mistress 39 thoughts...

I am the proud owner of an Allied 39, one of 11 built. Aft cockpit , 10ft beam. 6ft deep . She is not a mistress.An awsome boat. But thats not why I post.
I at one point owned my boat and an out Island. They are at different ends of the spectrum. Operating the OI was like controlling a bus with flat tires while the Allied performed more akin to a sports car.
I really have to wonder how both vessels can be on the same list. Don't get me wrong, OI most definitely have their good attributes....just not many of them have anything to do with sailing.
Oh, and the OI I owned had her bulkheads tabbed in with woven roving, a very poor choice of material but likely saved a few bucks.The result is a lot delaminated tabbing. If you go the route of an OI, check the bulkhead tabbing carefully.
I posted this for the OP, I do not care to argue or deal with the trolls.....however, to all the OI owners out there....no offense intended....your vessels are superb for what they were designed for.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 07:02   #17

Boat: Morgan 30 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I am the proud owner of an Allied 39, one of 11 built. Aft cockpit , 10ft beam. 6ft deep . She is not a mistress.An awsome boat. But thats not why I post.
I at one point owned my boat and an out Island. They are at different ends of the spectrum. Operating the OI was like controlling a bus with flat tires while the Allied performed more akin to a sports car.
I really have to wonder how both vessels can be on the same list. Don't get me wrong, OI most definitely have their good attributes....just not many of them have anything to do with sailing.
Oh, and the OI I owned had her bulkheads tabbed in with woven roving, a very poor choice of material but likely saved a few bucks.The result is a lot delaminated tabbing. If you go the route of an OI, check the bulkhead tabbing carefully.
I posted this for the OP, I do not care to argue or deal with the trolls.....however, to all the OI owners out there....no offense intended....your vessels are superb for what they were designed for.
10-4 on that as well. I feel pretty lucky that I got to sail some great boats growing up. I love the lines of a boat built to sail well. There are other Morgans that are "Beautiful" but a lot less functional as a live aboard with a teen-aged boy in the mix. The OI is almost purpose built for that from what I can tell. "Our" requirements (my wife's) are 2 cabins. 2 heads preferred. Secretly I only want 1 head to keep up.

Thanks for the tips of the OIs. So functional, it would be hard to pass the right one up when the time comes for us to buy, but I'd rather end up with something a little more classic looking with better manners under sail. Slow and sea kindly I can accept if it also means safe. A big dead pig-of-a-sailboat that's at risk of falling apart would have to be REAL comfortable and have EVERYTHING we want. I'm leaning away from Ketches and Yawls more an more every day.
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 07:25   #18

Boat: Whitby 42

Have you considered a Whitby 42? Two cabins, two heads, CC.Big fuel and water tanks. Great cruising boat.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 07:34   #19

Boat: Morgan 30 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Have you considered a Whitby 42? Two cabins, two heads, CC.Big fuel and water tanks. Great cruising boat.
I have seen some viable Whitbys. I am not married to any single boat. I am trying to educate myself about older boats known for quality construction that have proved themselves to be solid for a long time when well-kept. Interior lay-out will be important with a teen-aged boy aboard.

We are years out on this project. We bought an old house in Vermont and are close to the end of restorative work. We have some debt to take care of. The we are going to rent the house and have a bit of passive income, as well as work a bit a live-a-boards. I'm a chef, among other things, my wife is a CPA so we have flexibility somewhat.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions from everyone!
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 13:36   #20

Boat: Trimeran Searunner 31
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i believe the fuel tank may be in the keel? possibly made of black iron which would have been corroded and leaking by now. also reports of the boat being tender.
I sailed a 39 for 30 plus yrs single handed, beautiful seaworthy boat the fuel tank is in the engine room 70 gal not in the keel.
Capt Billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied