Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 09:01   #1

Boat: Morgan Classic 1989
Allied Mistress for the Great Loop - Good or Bad ?

My partner and I have seen a Mistress 39 that looks like a great live aboard for this 1 year trip :

Shoal draft (4'10")
I believe they sail as well as any boat with this full keel / fwd cutaway / shoal draft config ...
55 Gal Fuel
100-140 Gal Water
Full cockpit enclosure + all important mosquito netting

I would love some input from owners or anyone who has sailed the 39 mistress offshore.

Also, Are there any specific Gremlins to look out for with these sailboats ?

Any comments appreciated !

Thanks

S.B.
Sailing Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:07   #2

Allied Mistress

I helped a friend of mine deliver his from Tampa to Houston. My impressions are:
Way overbuilt and strong as you could hope for. Comfortable motion. Doesn't go to weather. Good tankage and storage. I sail a modified fin keel 37 footer. After my boat, it seems that you turn the wheel, count to ten, and it starts to respond. Really not that slow to respond to the wheel, just seems that way after fin keel boat, but it is not what you would call responsive. The boat tracks extremely well, and basically will sail itself once sails are trimmed. All of this is very good for offshore, but it leaves something to be desired when coastal or inside. Would be a tough decision for your intended purpose. Half of the trip it would be great, and leave something to be desired for the other half. Of course, every boat is just a compromise.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:51   #3

Thanks Nice & Easy ! Did you ever reef down during the delivery and if so, how soon from full suit ?
Old 19-02-2010, 12:50   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
SB, You say this is for the Great Loop but ask about offshore sailing, or sailing in general. For the Great Loop, the sailing will be very minimal since you will have to take down the mast for most of the trip from New York to almost Mobile. You may do some offshore work up the east coast, but even that may be inside on the ICW. Or are we talking different Loops. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:14   #5

Reef down

The night it got nasty we were down to jib and jigger. Keep in mind that this was the first time for all of us on a full keel, ketch rigged boat, so a lot of experimenting was taking place. That night the winds were in the 30+ range, and we were mid gulf, going against the gulf loop. Seas were 12 to 15, steep and confused. Probably as comfortable as I have ever been in that type of seas. While this is without question a high quality, very strong boat, if it were me, doing what you intend, don't think it would be my first choice though.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 05:52   #6

Waterwayguy, Nice & Easy, Thanks for the replies !

I have to admit that the great circle route is our primary objective, which we underdtand will be mostly a motoring / live aboard lifestyle. The "Offshore" requirements tend towards thoughts of keeping the vessel once completed and back in Ft Lauderdale for (hopefully !) frequent hops to the Bahamas and back ... She'll be our home when we get back for a while (time?) and I think I'll be heartbroken to sell her, but perhaps we can swallow the anchor and still keep her for the Keys / Bahamas trips

We need, in priority a vessel that :

1) can do the loop (5' draft restriction) + good tankage
2) will be a comfortable live aboard for 1 - 2 years (until we get our feet back on the ground ...)
3) will be good for Bahamas runs thereafter to keep the feet "wet" at least to some degree !

Also in the short list is the CSY 37 (Shoal draft) and Endevour 37.

We have looked at the one and only Mistress on the market at the moment this weekend, and have a few concerns about this particular one, so the hunt is still on !

The E37's that we have looked at somehow just don't look right, perhaps the scale of the rig to the size of the boat ...

Today we plan to check out a CSY 37 s.d. in our price range (50K all in - ready to go after any upgrades / additions )

I can't explain how exciting it is to finally be weeks / months away from leaving, and actually looking with cash in hand as opposed to spending weekend after weekend searching and dreaming ...

"Planning without action is futile ... "

"While this is without question a high quality, very strong boat, if it were me, doing what you intend, don't think it would be my first choice though."

Nice & Easy, I would love to hear your thoughts on what would constiute the best design given 1) 2) 3) above ... not forgetting the 50K

So much for sunny Florida it's cold and raining again !
Old 22-02-2010, 06:31   #7

For the Loop

I did the Loop, a wonderful trip, in a twin screw trawler. I was considering taking my sailboat but sold it for the trawler. While on the Loop I did not see many happy sailors. Most had their mast down which greatly affected the living area of the cockpit. While your draft would not be an issue, maneuverability would be. Their are seemingly endless locks which are often crowded and require careful maneuvering. For me the trawler was the right boat for the trip. Though after I completed it I sold the trawler and went back to a full keel sailboat.

What ever boat you do it with you will experience a great voyage.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 13:47   #8

Will start a new thread :

"CaboRico 38/Gozzard 36/Bayfield 36/Morgan 382 for Great Loop"

Thanks for the encouragement Soiree ! Are we excited ? ... AND HOW !!

... and agreed & understood about sailboats vs locks - perhaos a deck stepped mast would help shorten the "damageable protuberances"

... and about the trawler ... I currently drive an 87' twin screw motor yacht ( ... not mine !)

So far the Mistress 39 and the CSY 37 didn't pan out - too much to upgrade before departure this year .... and still concerned about the sailing ability for use after the trip.

Tags
allied, allied mistress