Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 06:47   #1

Boat: Morgan 30 Classic
Allied Mistress 39 thoughts...

I'm in the planning stages of getting onto a boat with my family of 3 at some point in the next 3-5 years. I am currently watching the used boat market for several 37 to 44 foot center cockpit, fiberglass, shallow draft, cruiser-options. I feel like the Mistress 39 is in the sweet spot. I searched the forums and didn't find any threads, apologies if this has been covered, but can someone school me up on Allied, and the Mistress 39. These forums are amazing, thanks to those that contribute in advance.
Dpackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:00   #2

Re: Allied Mistress 39 thoughts...

If we want to kick one around, in specific, this one catches my eye as a good place to start outfitting. https://providence.craigslist.org/bo...161143372.html
Old 12-08-2020, 11:17   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We met a happy couple in one back in 2018 in Martinique. They loved everything about their boat except that they found her too soft.

I believe one of the members is sailing one too. Check the avatars.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:31   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i believe the fuel tank may be in the keel? possibly made of black iron which would have been corroded and leaking by now. also reports of the boat being tender.
Old 12-08-2020, 13:29   #5

Will all boats of this or older vintage seem tender because beam was so narrow BITD? Is this not part of the design of a hull to maximize LWL under sail?

The cast Iron tank in the keel is a good one to look out for.
Old 12-08-2020, 14:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Very cheap, very old, very slow. A well refit OI 41 would generally be a much better fit.
Old 12-08-2020, 14:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Very cheap, very old, very slow. A well refit OI 41 would generally be a much better fit.
Morgan is on the list as well. All the usual suspects in the 37 to 44 foot length are considered. Kind of looking for a safe boat no one wants. Old and cheap is likely the only way in for us. We can swing the annual costs, but look to set sail for 40k. Reality? Pardon the thread drift, I know this topic is exceptionally well covered in the forums and from what I have read, seems reasonable for a patient buyer....but I'm just starting to figure this out. Thanks for the replys.
Old 12-08-2020, 15:03   #8

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I had an Allied Princess decades ago, both the Princess and Mistress were designed by Arthur Edmunds around the same time so I would expect similar sailing qualities.

The Princess was initially tender but stiffened up at about 15°. Could carry full sail till about 20 knots then the reefing the main would settle her down. Tracked very well but with the worm gear steering feedback was non-existent. I'm not familiar with the steering on the Mistress but if the center cockpit version I'd assume wire in conduit, also not very sensitive. Might not be the best for a new sailor.

Allied's build was very robust and basic. Don't be lured by the siren's call of low price, the ketch rig can get pricey quick if it needs replacement and I'm not just talking about the shrouds.

Good luck with your search.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 15:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Look for a boat priced in the 50s or even low 60s that have been on the market. I'd think you can get a turnkey OI with newer engines, sails, rigging for just about right on 40/45k
Old 12-08-2020, 16:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Look for a boat priced in the 50s or even low 60s that have been on the market. I'd think you can get a turnkey OI with newer engines, sails, rigging for just about right on 40/45k
It seems 40K is the number for an older boat that has not been neglected.

I grew up sailing. I started with my family on a dingy when I was 7. Moved up to a Freedom 21 which we sailed on the Sound for a few years. Then we moved up to a Saber 34 (1980 hull maybe) and spent a lot of time on it bouncing up and down New England over the Summers. Eventually a Bristol 35.5. Then Dad ended up with an Able 42. He sold it when he retired. I raced on a tartan 41 and a Benateau 35.5 (?) while in High School and cruised on other boats up to a 54 foot Sou'wester. It's been a while, but I'm not exactly a new sailor. Cruising with my family are my greatest childhood memories. Having lived in Vermont for the last 20 years, and with a 10 year old home-schooled kiddo have us thinking about travel. The boats available right now, and the price of entry seem serendipitous. When our beloved dog passes away, we finally finish the house, and our boy is a teen it seems like we should sail the world for a few years. See what we can make of it. It may end up with us living dockside for a couple season....or you may never hear from us again and we melt into the south pacific....secretly my plan. Muahahah!

I'll likely have a boat load more questions, but appreciate the quantity of knowledge and experience available here. It really is remarkable and empowering as there is a lot to know.

Thanks again.
Dave
Old 13-08-2020, 08:38   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpackie View Post
Will all boats of this or older vintage seem tender because beam was so narrow BITD? Is this not part of the design of a hull to maximize LWL under sail?

The cast Iron tank in the keel is a good one to look out for.

Well, this one is beamy!

I have looked up the sailboatdata. Apparently in this case it is shallow draft and little ballast.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 10:20   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpackie View Post
It seems 40K is the number for an older boat that has not been neglected.

I
Dave
Dave-
I think the response was suggesting was to look higher on the cost scale with a realistic expectation that the actual purchase price will be 30-50% lower- won't always be the case but there are a lot of motivated sellers.

Dreamin too.

Fred
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 11:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Dave-
I think the response was suggesting was to look higher on the cost scale with a realistic expectation that the actual purchase price will be 30-50% lower- won't always be the case but there are a lot of motivated sellers.

Dreamin too.

Fred
10-4 on that. We're way OT now, but to continue down this thread I bounce back and forth between buying a boat that needs certain things I'd like to have new on the boat and outfitting right off, or looking for a "Turn key" cruiser with some mystery involved when major systems need replacing.

I think boats without engines can be under priced. I saw a great boat where the sails and rigging were lost in a barn fire over the winter. 40 footer for under 10 grand probably. Bit more hassle but I think a lot of meat on the bone for some boats. Not project boats, nice boats that just need a major item like sails, rigging, motor, ect. Can I come out ahead buying a boat that needs a new motor for 10, and put 30 into it? Do I drop 45 on a boat listed for 70 that "has everything", but some of it is due for a close look and maybe replacement within 2-3 years?

I am curious if there is a thread that lists asking price and sale price of boats? This would be a great tool for used buyers. All this is fun to think about.
Old 14-08-2020, 05:17   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I currently sail a 1977 Allied XL 42 for over 16 years. The yawl is 17 gross tons, and performs in an amazing way on the open seas. The vessel is highly reliable due to solid design and fiberglass construction. My particular vessel was originally built for a retiring Navy Captain who circumnavigated the globe in 1978. Allied vessels were incredibly over built at a time when fiberglass construction was still in early stages. I particularly like the S&S design of this boat as it cuts low through seas and has a center board draft of 7.0 ft, and shoal draft of 4.5 ft. I highly recommend exploring any well maintained Allied vessels you might come across. Over the years I've spoken to Mistress 39 owners and they give similar high praise of their vessels.
Best, Captain Jim
rowhillnth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 06:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhillnth1 View Post
I currently sail a 1977 Allied XL 42 for over 16 years. The yawl is 17 gross tons, and performs in an amazing way on the open seas. The vessel is highly reliable due to solid design and fiberglass construction. My particular vessel was originally built for a retiring Navy Captain who circumnavigated the globe in 1978. Allied vessels were incredibly over built at a time when fiberglass construction was still in early stages. I particularly like the S&S design of this boat as it cuts low through seas and has a center board draft of 7.0 ft, and shoal draft of 4.5 ft. I highly recommend exploring any well maintained Allied vessels you might come across. Over the years I've spoken to Mistress 39 owners and they give similar high praise of their vessels.
Best, Captain Jim
Thanks. I have been steered towards these boats due to this reputation of "Over-built Older Fiberglass". As I understand them, Cal and Pearson also have this reputation and I feel like there is a piece of mind in knowing you have a super thick and solid fiberglass hull when looking at old boats. Please correct me if I am wrong, and also please suggest other manufacturers of this or earlier vintage know for ultra durability.

Tags
allied