Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 09:26   #1

Boat: Still Looking
Albin Vega

Hi all. I have noticed that a lot of people replace the engines on one of my target boats with outboards. I would like your opinion on how much this affects the resale value of the boat all other things being more or less equal? Thank you in advance for your thoughtful consideration of this matter.
savell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:37   #2

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30
Re: Albin Vega

In my experience installation of an outboard, especially on a bracket on the transom, adversely affects the resale value of boats which were originally fitted with inboards. A word of caution if you're a buyer: often the installation of an outboard on a bracket is used as a cheap way around replacing or repairing a troublesome inboard, and if that is the case then the rest of the boat will always reflect this philosophy of boat ownership. Approach such boats with extra caution and the expectation that more work will be required to get them into seaworthy condition.
Old 17-01-2016, 09:45   #3

Most of the Vegas came with a variable pitch prop that I have been told is hard to get parts for, and expensive to repair. Some have been converted to a standard prop shaft and prop, and transmission. That is also an expensive fix. Changing to an outboard is much cheaper, but is not as nice as a conventional diesel, shaft and prop. I would be very wary of buying one with the original variable prop. It would most likely be worn out by now, and soon cost you time and money. I dont know if this helps you, but it is a little of the reason many Vegas have outboards. I think the Vega is a great small cruising boat. Good Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 10:04   #4

Thanks guys. The engine and everything concerned with it has been removed and the shaft log sealed with a wooden bung which no one can tell me how it is secured. Also she stinks of sewage in the holing tank. That I can fix but replacing the diesel is such a huge job she would have to be practically free to make it attractive. I think the log is the real joker in the deck as in order to find out what they have done it would have to be pulled , my expense , and I am not willing to make an offer just to find out they stuffed the whole thing full of filler. I did try to see from inside but things have been built between the engine bearers blocking the view to the log. Oh well.
Old 17-01-2016, 10:48   #5

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savell View Post
Thanks guys. The engine and everything concerned with it has been removed and the shaft log sealed with a wooden bung which no one can tell me how it is secured. Also she stinks of sewage in the holing tank. That I can fix but replacing the diesel is such a huge job she would have to be practically free to make it attractive. I think the log is the real joker in the deck as in order to find out what they have done it would have to be pulled , my expense , and I am not willing to make an offer just to find out they stuffed the whole thing full of filler. I did try to see from inside but things have been built between the engine bearers blocking the view to the log. Oh well.
A second hand 10 hp volvo will do just fine. What I had in my old Vega. Also make sure the bulkhead area to the forecabin is properly reinforced. The only two real weaknesses of the Vegas were inadequate transference of the vertical forces from the deck step to the keel (easily rectified with a vertical and cross beam arrangement at the bulkhead), and also for serious heavy weather, the fact that the long windows were gasketed within their apertures. You can get retrofit kits for the windows to make them aluminium framed, larger than aperture and laminated… I don't know what the boat is on for, but if not in great condition and no engine I would bid super low and see what happens. They really are great hulls and sweet, surprisingly dry and tough sailors.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
and also for serious heavy weather, the fact that the long windows were gasketed within their apertures. You can get retrofit kits for the windows to make them aluminium framed, larger than aperture and laminated…
So--the original windows could be pushed out of their apertures (with a wave etc) because no inside/outside overlap with the cabin/hull fiberglass? I'm trying to get my head around this and it doesn't make sense. I must have it wrong and would appreciate further explanation. Thanks!
Old 17-01-2016, 11:16   #7

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
So--the original windows could be pushed out of their apertures (with a wave etc) because no inside/outside overlap with the cabin/hull fiberglass? I'm trying to get my head around this and it doesn't make sense. I must have it wrong and would appreciate further explanation. Thanks!
Yes. the original window glass was smaller than the apertures and held in place with a double sided gasket, one slit for the hull, the other for the glass. Was what ultimately sank "Berserk" and was a significant weakness. I sailed my own like that for a good number of thousands of miles before a few fierce hits and noticeable movement caused me to rethink, quite some years ago now. Actually at the time I didn't have the money do do it anyhow, but later did, and found a superb retrofit kit from the VAGB Vega Owner's Association of Great Britain.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Yes. the original window glass was smaller than the apertures and held in place with a double sided gasket, one slit for the hull, the other for the glass. Was what ultimately sank "Berserk" and was a significant weakness. I sailed my own like that for a good number of thousands of miles before a few fierce hits and noticeable movement caused me to rethink, quite some years ago now. Actually at the time I didn't have the money do do it anyhow, but later did, and found a superb retrofit kit from the VAGB Vega Owner's Association of Great Britain.
Ah..Well glad they had a retrofit kit. It would seem the gasket would be smart for keeping out leaks but that the gasket itself would have a frame overlapping it and the glass to prevent a push-through. Suppose that may be the retrofit

Last year during a gale when we had big powerful waves slamming our cabin-side (a low pilothouse with fairly large windows) hard, I was watching the minute flex of the frame between two of the large, fixed, windows as each wave hit hard and washed over top of the cabin. With each flex, a tiny bit (a drop literally) of water pushed through the interface of frame/lexan/cabin side. Though the cabin side and windows were strong, I was just amazed at the power of the water pushing that tiny bead of water through the framing. I was both fascinated by it and worried to think what it could be like with even more powerful wave action.

Strong frames! important yes.
Old 17-01-2016, 13:17   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by savell View Post
My old Vega traveled half way around the world sans engine and with outboard. The shaft log had been blocked with what looked like a 4" offcut of broom handle epoxied in. Was never a problem and was easy to remove when converted back to an inboard. If you fit an outboard for propulsion you'll also need to reinforce the transom behind the mounting as it isn't strong enough to support the additional loading.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 17:08   #10

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

I'm on my second Albin Vega, both with outboards.

The Albin Vega is of course a bit of a cult boat. Many of the folks who chose it did through via it's reputation as a strong pocket cruiser. Many of this same crowd (who aim to use the Vega as a cruiser) follow the philosophies of James Baldwin (Atom Voyages - Home) who makes the case for removal of the inboard in lieu of an outboard for pocket cruisers.

I do indeed love the extra space below decks and the simple reliability of a modern outboard. Both the outboards that came with my boats were tiller controlled, so I made a concerted (and successful) effort to source a remote throttle (and steer/tilt/start) outboard for my current Vega. It'll basically be, in my eyes, the best of both worlds - with the one exception being aesthetics.

All that said, the answer to your question is yes, outboard Vegas do tend to have a lower resale.

Regarding windows, it is true that the early generation has glass smaller than the cutout. This was corrected in later generations. My current Vega (# 169) had all the original window openings glassed in, with Lewmar opening portholes added. I'll probably remove them and add frameless windows.
Old 17-01-2016, 18:14   #11

They used what looks like 10 inch squares of 1/4 in ply for backing plates which I thought looked too small and thin.
Old 17-01-2016, 18:57   #12

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Before I replaced my inboard, I went a season or two with an outboard, a long shaft 9.9 Johnson 4 stroke. The biggest issue I had was going against any kind of a swell, the prop was out of the water half the time so you could only do a quarter throttle or so, made for slow going. Also she was much harder to dock having to lean over the stern to control the motor and then get to tiller in cockpit.

Love my inboard, throttle and shifter in one right at hand. I installed a Volvo single cyl, 9 Hp model 2001, it was quite a bit of work, had to remake engine beds, change shaft, prop, etc. but worth it.

BTW if I hadn't found that engine, unused at a good price I was strongly considering going electric.

On the window seals, they are not the best solution for boat windows but you can order new seals, almost an exact match from JC Whitney. Or get Lexan larger than the hole and bolt it in.
Old 18-01-2016, 10:58   #13

I had the same problem with an outboard coming out of the water on a previous boat which is why I want an inboard on my next one if I do buy one. The windows are not an issue for me as I would just shutter them in a seaway.
Old 18-01-2016, 21:36   #14

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

The prop coming out of the water on an outboard is certainly a very real occurrence. The long shaft Yamaha on my last Vega would do it on occasion but generally it wasn't completely out, instead it seemed to come just far enough to cause cavitation.

The one I acquired recently is an XL shaft, I'm hoping that extra few inches will be the difference.

And to the point on transom strength, it should definitely be reinforced.
Old 19-01-2016, 03:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post

On the window seals, they are not the best solution for boat windows but you can order new seals, almost an exact match from JC Whitney. Or get Lexan larger than the hole and bolt it in.
In line with this, and a very good as well as cheap fix, is to fit (bolt) storm covers over the ports. Bigger frames than the port frames, to fit outside them. Do them right and remove all vulnerabilities.

I'd still fit the new seals as well though (but that's just me).

On the outboard motor fitted to the transom, I was thinking of fitting one of those spring assisted (?) mounts that you can raise and lower by about a foot, on the boat I get. Not so much for propulsion (it looks like the 30 hp Yanmar on the boat I am after is fine), but for the ease of a more convenient height (when the mount is lowered) for transferring the outboard to (I'm after a manageable 3.5hp for the dingy), then as I go up the swim ladder I can raise it that foot or so higher, and have it a lot easier to then lift onto the solid bracket on the pushpit.

If ever there was a problem with the inboard, I could quickly mount the outboard onto that mount, and lower it to the right height to be put to use (in a panic, probably in a lot less than 2 minutes, lol). I suppose it would probably pay to put a bit of reinforcement inside the transom to give that mount a good base.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Albin Vega