Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 11:12   #1

Boat: O'Day 40
Adventure 40

It looks like the Adventure 40 project is back on track.

If your not familiar it is a desire to make a capable yet affordable cruising sailboat. $200-$250,000 is the target price with all the basics except instruments and solar.

Morganscloud.com is the product of John Harries and is a wealth of information on all aspects of cruising. The original concept was his idea 9 years ago but stalled out when the original marine architect backed out.

Anyone contemplating buying a cruising boat should look at it as they've set some really high performance and comfort targets.
Old 15-03-2023, 01:47   #2

Re: Adventure 40

eehgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 05:06   #3

Status of the Adventure 40 design now. There is also some drawings at morganscloud.com, but i don't know if its alowed to post them cause of copywright etc.

What do you think of the current design?
A lot of comments on morganscloud.com, but the writers there naturally are e bit biased, so it would be fun to se some opinions from others.
Old 15-03-2023, 05:12   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Overall the design right now looks very "Generic". The hard dodger is great but the massive table in the middle of the cockpit is not good specially if they intend to follow through with the tiller steering ( which is very interesting) but not very workable with a table that large in the way. double technical/storage rooms in the stern contradict the "well centered mass" statements. You know if those get filled with the usual storage, the boat will be very stern heavy.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 01:18   #5

Thank you for reply. Maybe "generic", but is there any other production boat that is made new today that can offer the same? Simple and extremely solid built, focus on seaworthyness and seakindlyness, and sails well at all points of wind.
Old 16-03-2023, 05:26   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehgil View Post
Thank you for reply. Maybe "generic", but is there any other production boat that is made new today that can offer the same? Simple and extremely solid built, focus on seaworthyness and seakindlyness, and sails well at all points of wind.
Generally I'd agree with you that there isn't any other production boat that focuses on simple solid and sails well. The market generally isn't focused on the "simple" aspect. Boats are constantly getting more complex with more "luxurious" fit-outs. Seems to be what people increasingly want, whether that serves them well in the long run, that's unlikely but that's what people seem to want. The Adventure 40 will definitely be focused on a very small segment of the market.

Though I do like a 40ft boat with a tiller. Hopefully it ends up well balanced. It will need to have a robust Autopilot as standard though Kinda hard to step away from a tiller like you can with a wheel and its brake!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 09:41   #7

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
focus on seaworthyness and seakindlyness,
A shallow arc-shaped hull with a big blob of lead hanging at the bottom of a thin sectioned fin.
An acre or so of "picture windows", (does the structure support the windows or do the windows support the structure?)
Very large cockpit with a lowered well at the forward end and a severely forward sloped companionway with zero handholds, (ever fall down a mine shaft).
Wide open interior with little to hold on to or brace yourself against.
No suitable "sea berths".
I could go on, but after watching the video 3 times I see very few "features" that would lead me to use words like seaworthy or seakindly.
The "focus" seems much more in line to make a nice boat for liveaboard and fair weather use.
Old 16-03-2023, 10:14   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I think it was a good idea, but they don’t seem to have done enough to distinguish this boat from a standard production yacht other than leave out some equipment without discounting the price in return.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:24   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I guess we'll never see boats designed with water, and wet people, going down the companionway in mind anymore.

Tiller in the cockpit table?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 13:00   #10

Quote:
I think it was a good idea, but they don’t seem to have done enough to distinguish this boat from a standard production yacht other than leave out some equipment
My thoughts as well- does anyone have a list of "features" ? Not much is standing out to me from the video.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 13:11   #11

Boat: O'Day 40

I think that if you go to the site you'll see that there are a some good ideas. One that I think is unique is the ability to take a hard grounding at hull speed without damage.
The drawings are simply preliminary to iron out the compromises every boat design has.
It's pretty easy to be an armchair critic but, if you pay a couple of bucks and join the discussion, you can critique it and maybe improve on it.
Old 25-03-2023, 13:16   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hmmm... seems like despite the claims in the above, this isn't a boat yet... it is vaporware and renderings. When one is launched and proves to be sea kindly and a good sailor on all points of wind, and to be solidly constructed as built, THEN you could reasonably make the above post.

Until then, it is all imaginary.

Jim
Old 25-03-2023, 13:25   #13

Quote:
the ability to take a hard grounding at hull speed without damage.
I wonder how this is calculated. My hard groundings on a pacific seacraft 37 were waves picking the hull up and smashing it down repeatedly on hard sand. It felt like a car accident each time, whole rig shaking etc, but there was no damage. Since Force = Mass * Acceleration, the Mass is known, but what's the acceleration? That depends on how fast the boat was moving and how quickly it stops. Speed is known in this case, although I'd rather plan for higher. How quickly does it stop? That depends on the stiffness of whatever you hit and stiffness of the boat. A big rock is going to be rigid, so maybe they assume all energy is absorbed by the hull? "Without damage" is another tough one, because if you hit a sharp rock, there will be damage. Maybe they mean the keel will not fall off (?) Interesting to discuss but I'd rather do it here and for free.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 13:30   #14

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I think that if you go to the site you'll see that there are a some good ideas. One that I think is unique is the ability to take a hard grounding at hull speed without damage.
Now that’s a big call - one might almost say of Titanic proportions!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 13:36   #15

The spec has changed to be a robust keel and joint to minimize the damage during a grounding. The initial spec to a grounding at hull speed was too high of a bar.

Now they are spec-ing "Capable of withstanding the grounding impacts that a seamanlike owner may subject the boat to, with only damage that’s external and relatively easy to repair when out cruising.

With a keel-to-hull joint many times stronger than modern practice or current offshore standards require."

They've also moved on from the initial companionway with the concern.
"As presently drawn, the big companionway hatch with its sill below the level of the cockpit, together with the foot well just aft of it, presents an unacceptable downflood risk."
sinna2too is offline   Reply With Quote