Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 18:00   #46

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: A room (or boat) with a view

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well the Tartan was so lovely I had to call the broker to ask and yes, he confirmed that sitting at the dinette you can see the sky but not the water.

Oh well. Wonder if I could build a big raised section under the dinette. Would improve the view and give me a big storage area.

Too bad- as you probably checked I’m a huge Tartan fan.
But yes wonder if you could build up the dinette area seating, floor, and table since it already is raised. They sail so well and are very well built
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 09:22   #47

DUFOUR ATTOL! It’s a ‘MonoCat’ weird, but yeah…
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 09:58   #48

Quote:
Well the Tartan was so lovely I had to call the broker to ask and yes, he confirmed that sitting at the dinette you can see the sky but not the water.

Oh well. Wonder if I could build a big raised section under the dinette. Would improve the view and give me a big storage area.

Or save up for this:

http://www.tartanyachts.com/models/tartan-455/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630083497.434409.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	244316
Old 27-08-2021, 11:41   #49

Boat: Furtuna 37', 1980

VanDerStadt Endurance.
Roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 12:08   #50

You could consider a Wauquiez DS. They too have successfully made Deck Saloons for some time and many have seated vision out to the world. The down side is that others can look in……. They mostly sail very well and come from 40’ upwards. A good French marque with a reputation for quality.
They don’t appear on the market very often and usually sell quite quickly.
Good luck.
JonJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 12:14   #51

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Years ago, my grandmother married a guy with similar issues who lived to sail. They ended up on a big (40-44’?) Fisher Catamaran motorsailer. It was quite versatile, and I sailed with them several times and enjoyed its comforts. I am a ‘fast boat’ guy (j-boats) and didn’t miss much of my joy of sailing. You might like something similar.. not a ‘cat speedster’, nor subject to their storm concerns…
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 16:52   #52

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Overall I agree that the Dufour meets the main requirement of a protected area with a view. In fact of all the monohulls I've found so far it seems to have the best.

While I don't love the look, there is that engineering side of me that says function is beauty. If the boat was otherwise perfect I could deal. At the price point there would be plenty left in the budget that I could try to do something to upgrade the interior.
@skipmac

Further to my long post above about buying a cheap Dufour Atoll 6 and refitting and modifying it to be more attractive and more suitable for your purposes, well it seems that I am not the only one that had this idea... !

I came across the following old link online which shows an interior that has been rearranged similar to how I suggested with less cabins, and more space and practical features for live aboard cruising instead, such as a big master cabin with an office desk, laundry, extra storage, etc.

The ad is old and (really!) unfortunately the 'more photos' dropbox link doesn't work anymore but maybe you could contact the broker to track this boat down, either to buy, or to view the photos and get some inspiration for your own refit.

For those that want a monohull over a catamaran I think this boat could really be turned into quite a practical cruising machine. I really like the potential for a huge amount of solar to be easily fitted, and I actually like the big pilothouse instead of living down below in a cave.

Let's remember that most people cruising in the tropics add more wind, sea, and sun protection in the form of dodgers, biminis, awnings, etc, anyway, and often extensive side curtains too to create an enclosed environment for bugs, for AC, for inclement weather, etc.

On the Atoll 6 all of this comes mostly built in already.

Hope this helps

Modified Interior:

Original design ATOLL
Ext Cockpit + saloon + Galley
Downstairs
1 Master Cabin with double bed + Private head
1 single cabin + Desk
1 Dressing (Washing Machine)

('Dressing' - this is from French, and it means a walk in wardrobe / dressing room, and they put the washing machine in there as well to create a laundry)

Aft Part with access from the cockpit
2 Double cabins with private heads

http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/en/sec...+Atoll+50+1999

(hot linking the layout doesn't seem to work so I uploaded it to Imgur)

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 18:27   #53

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The drawing shows one head, no galley, and at least two mystery objects.

Anyone understand what the sort of amorphous brown blob in the forepeak is?

And, is the red object, the desk?

Thanks.

Ann
Old 27-08-2021, 18:51   #54

I am a red headed (when I had hair) blue eyed very fair person of Irish ancestry.
I have boated, sailed and snorkeled/ Scuba my whole life. Now in my late seventies. Yes, I have had tons of skin cancer. It has never been more that a nuisance for me. I get about 3 Basel cell cancers surgically removed a year. Now you have to understand that I grew up in a time when they DIDN’T KNOW about skin cancer. And I grew up in S FL.! Does it get any worse. I got fried as a kid. Badly deep extensive burn, blisters all over, peel and gone. No more problem FOR 20-30 yrs. then! At age 35 they started showing up. As an adult, mid twenties I was careful, but stayed an active sailor and sailing instructor and a Scuba instructor. The good part about Scuba is that I could cover head to toe with boots skins hood mask etc. Yes, with sailing you have to watch reflection. Kayaking…bad! I think that most of my damage was done when I was young and unknowing. I’m still here! Very much enjoying life but am careful of the sun. Still go out doors but wear big full brimmed hats, long sleeves arms and legs no mater the weather. When I lived in the Caribbean many of the locals covered up like this even though they were mostly of African ancestry.

Use common sense and enjoy. You can’t live like a recluse. Just be careful. Don’t know how old you are but if you didn’t suffer a lot of childhood sunburns you are way ahead of the game. And no matter what or where you are get to a DERMATOLOGIST no just an MD and get a thorough check up at least twice a year. And enjoy life. I certainly have and I am a pretty extreme case example.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 20:33   #55

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The drawing shows one head, no galley, and at least two mystery objects.

Anyone understand what the sort of amorphous brown blob in the forepeak is?

And, is the red object, the desk?

Thanks.

Ann
Ann, I think possibly you haven't been following the discussion about this boat...

The galley is up on the main deck in the pilot house on the Dufour Atoll 6.
As is the nav station, and what would normally be the salon table and seating.

The modified layout (not mine) still shows 3 head compartments (if not actual heads on this drawing) instead of the orginal 4.

I believe that the red objects are seating, with a desk / table in the Master Cabin being what you have (oddly) described as 'a sort of amorphous brown blob'...

And there is an additional smaller desk in the single cabin.

It seemed obvious to me, given a modernised design, but ok.

Also I did include some of the specs and the link with the full specs in the previous post which clearly states "1 Master Cabin with double bed + Private head, 1 single cabin, 2 Double cabins with private heads"

I hope it's clearer now

Here's a few pics of the pilothouse on a standard boat.

As can be seen it offers a unique layout and covered, shaded areas in a monohull which seems almost perfect for the OP who's wife "has had some issues with skin cancer and should limit sun exposure for the rest of her life."

I think it enables protection and safety from the sun whilst still being comfortable up at deck level almost all of the time, part of the sailing and social life whether underway or at anchor.

And here's the orginal 5 or 6 cabin layout maximised for charter (the bow cabin can be split into 1 big or 2 smaller with removalable panels):

Modified Layout:

Old 27-08-2021, 21:11   #56

Video tour of the boat posted earlier for sale in the USA:
(https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...cabin-3698174/)

Another video tour with different views that found on YouTube:

Old 28-08-2021, 05:08   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
I am a red headed (when I had hair) blue eyed very fair person of Irish ancestry.

I have boated, sailed and snorkeled/ Scuba my whole life. Now in my late seventies. Yes, I have had tons of skin cancer. It has never been more that a nuisance for me. I get about 3 Basel cell cancers surgically removed a year. Now you have to understand that I grew up in a time when they DIDN’T KNOW about skin cancer. And I grew up in S FL.! Does it get any worse. I got fried as a kid. Badly deep extensive burn, blisters all over, peel and gone. No more problem FOR 20-30 yrs. then! At age 35 they started showing up. As an adult, mid twenties I was careful, but stayed an active sailor and sailing instructor and a Scuba instructor. The good part about Scuba is that I could cover head to toe with boots skins hood mask etc. Yes, with sailing you have to watch reflection. Kayaking…bad! I think that most of my damage was done when I was young and unknowing. I’m still here! Very much enjoying life but am careful of the sun. Still go out doors but wear big full brimmed hats, long sleeves arms and legs no mater the weather. When I lived in the Caribbean many of the locals covered up like this even though they were mostly of African ancestry.

Use common sense and enjoy. You can’t live like a recluse. Just be careful. Don’t know how old you are but if you didn’t suffer a lot of childhood sunburns you are way ahead of the game. And no matter what or where you are get to a DERMATOLOGIST no just an MD and get a thorough check up at least twice a year. And enjoy life. I certainly have and I am a pretty extreme case example.

A vigorous counterpoint needs to be presented - as a physician and a person who is younger with no history of blistering sunburns, yet was diagnosed with a much more serious type of skin cancer. You are very fortunate to only have basal cells which as you correctly state are not very serious.
Old 28-08-2021, 17:05   #58
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
The most obvious, easy solution is a cat and we're considering that but for various reasons a monohull might be a better choice for us.
Boy, I'm interested to see the Pro's and Con's match-up that shows a monohull winning out.

I hope your Son-in-Law (Matt?) got the tranny problems worked out. Thanks for your help with the rigging inspection, Mack Sails did an excellent job at a great price.

Good luck, you know your going to be joining the multihull crew - it's inevitable.

;-)

Tags
boat