Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 15:25   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Alden Pilothouse 32
A compromise boat?

Hi Everyone,

I need some help here. I've been looking for a boat for quite a while, but only recently have I had the opportunity to actually get one. Unfortunately, I've got a few hurdles to overcome!

I grew up sailing, working on various types of boats, went to college, then met a girl, got married and moved to San Francisco - literally in the city, with a view of the bay.

Here's the problem.... my wife, perfect in almost every way, hates being in the wind.

So, for 20 years, I'd occasionally go out with a friend or co-worker, but my dream of owning my own boat, in a slip, was just kind of put on hold while money went to more responsible things: house, kids, etc...

But.... I just came into about 20k and decided that I'm going to get a boat and a slip and just do it. So that's the good news. The tough part is that I don't want my wife to avoid this boat like the plague. I want something that she'll come on little trips and maybe even a few weekends.

So I decided to get something that's got a pilothouse, or some kind of raised saloon where she can escape from the wind, drink wine with her best friend (who, believe it or not, hates the sun!), and enjoy the scenery. While the kids climb around the boat and the husband actually gets to sail.

The problem is that I don't want to go spend more than the 20k (at least not too much more), and the only boats I've seen that actually have a good deck-saloon cost a fortune. Additionally, they tend to be pretty massive. Since She's not going to be much help, and most of my friends have almost no experience, it's going to be something I really need to be able to handle alone or with very little help. So, a big 45' ketch is just going to be too much, even if I could afford it!

Now, I actually found ONE that was perfect, and I even negotiated a price, shook hands on it last sunday. Monday morning, when I was getting ready to transfer the money, he backed out.

It was a bit old, but in great shape. (https://www.aldenpilothouse32.com) I haven't found anything else like it.

So, to everyone here with a ton more experience than I:

Any recommendations?
coldfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat