Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2022, 04:08   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: 50' Herreshoff Ketch 1978

A fundamental problem with all these boats was de-lamination from a production error if its been done your fine . Mr Cheng admitted this in Phuket to the previous owner there is also one in Singapore that did the same work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00027.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	254219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced peeling technique.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	254220  

Old 10-03-2022, 07:30   #62

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Carribean Ketch

I commented a couple posts back about the white efflorescence coming from the NAPA boat 'Faith'. I then spoke with the owner for an hour on the phone and he confirmed that the keel doesnt have cement in the ballast which I thought caused efflorescence in the lower keel, he explained that its likely due to rainwater running from the deck thru the hinge pin in the trunk and thru delamination of the FRP. I didnt understand how this could be until I saw your delam post above. It's really difficult to know if this boat is salvageable within a reasonable budget.
Borealis B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 15:44   #63
Marine Service Provider

The drop down keel is a piece of hardwood resin encapsulated and heavy .
Old 11-03-2022, 07:00   #64

I learned the centerboard is about 9' long and weighs something like 600 lbs and has a steel or lead ballast weight fixed into it so it drops fully. Its made of teak plank like the rudder but on Faith the rudder wasnt glassed. Faiths centerboard fell out halfway between HI and CA hence why its missing. Sailing performance wasnt remarkably different w/o the board according to the owner (who is candid and quite conversational). The original owner talked to the designer directly and was informed the centerboard is only for gaining about 5 deg up wind and the full keel is great for a reach and run.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:32   #65
Marine Service Provider

The reskin didn't cost that much here in Asia. 200kg of epoxy and 4 rolls of matting 8 workers for 2 days @ 5000USD

Its lead (it was cheaper then !) Glassed mine in the last haul out as we never use it. It shakes the structure in big seas so it had to go. Can always be chopped out again .
Old 20-03-2022, 19:32   #66

Smile Re: 50' Herreshoff Ketch 1978

Emmalina, thank you for your replies. I have decided to make an offer on the Napa boat with contingency based on a consultation survey. I think Faith is worth the risk and with faith and hard work I can bring her back to life. My wife is excited about her too which is very important. I plan to blank off the centerboard trunk; I would like to reach out to you and find out how you designed the modification. I'll keep you posted!
Old 18-04-2022, 14:52   #67

I purchased S/V Faith at Napa Valley Marina. Super excited and discovered a goldmine of history in a flight attache case on board. I'm the 3rd owner and the first owner requested all the drawings for the boat, so I have the original Halsey Herreshoff drawings form 1969 and 1970, a suite of about 10 plans. However, the rudder detail and actual rudder do not seem to be the same, has anybody removed the rudder? The second owner lives 1 hour away and i'll be able to meet him this week in Port Townsend. Also, if nobody knows, there is a 4" diameter cap that covers the centerboard pin on the port side, held in by 5 ss screws. I removed the cap and pulled out the bent bronze pin; so one can remove the centerboard on the hard for maintenance by removing this pin. We have a ton of work to do to make her seaworthy and a passagemaker once again. Need to replace the diesel tanks, repair gelcoat and remove teak deck, one known soft spot in front of the coach. Hopefully we'll be able to commit to her full time around the end of summer.
Old 18-04-2022, 18:06   #68
Marine Service Provider

Take the rudder of every 5 years or so to check carbon bearing and reseal the shaft.
Have to drill out the copper rivets and make new ones when reassembling. Its 1/2inch pure copper rod so not to hard to find !
Old 19-04-2022, 14:46   #69

So here's how I visualize it. Sound Right?
1. Remove quadrant and uncouple rudder shaft inside.
2. Support rudder with block of wood.
3. Drill/Punch out copper pins in rudder shoe; remove shoe
4. lower rudder until shaft is clear of tube.
5. Drink beer...

6. Rebuild rudder and reverse steps 1 thru 5.
7. Drink the rest of the beer.
Old 19-04-2022, 21:13   #70
Marine Service Provider

Yup thats about it ! Don't forget the cramp from making the rivets also requires lubrication !
Old 19-04-2022, 21:56   #71
Marine Service Provider

Also reinforced the shaft as it was flexing with the autopilot. Thordon bearing works a treat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rudder mod.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	256282  
Old 15-08-2022, 21:33   #72

Hi Borealis and Emmalina, we also have a 1979 Caribbean 50 called the Spirit of Freedom. LOVE the boat, its totally worth the effort to restore. I have been at it for about 4 years off and on. We live aboard. They are so sturdy, bringing it back to life after the previous 2 owners neglect and getting it ready to be a blue water cruiser again. I am in Bremerton WA, USA so perhaps close to you Borealis.

I have had nothing but trouble from my centerboard. Disintegrating cables, cable bolts and the winch all replaced a couple of times, lots of unnecessary learning curves. I am scared to lower it, as it might not come up again. 14' draft is no joke, and quite limiting. Now I am trying silicon bronze cable bolts, a dynema line, and a heavy Dutton winch, so far so good. Finding a haulout to get at the full centerboard out is a pain. Really like the idea of glassing it in and being done with it.

Emmalina, I am wondering if you notice any increase in performance on every tack but upwind as the bottom would not have the drag of the large centerboard opening? If yes then it is a no brainer, kind of like the boost of a a feathering prop upgrade. When you glassed it in was it water tight or did the centerboard well fill with stale water? (my worry for smell inside and what might happen on hauling out with the weight of the water above your patch.) Also how did you support and fit the centerboard in the up position permanently before glassing it in? It is so flipping heavy.

Like your Thordon bearing upgrade, just added it to my to do list as I have also noticed a bit of flex down there.

The next months projects for me are adding a Alado roller furler, twin poled out headsails (twizzle rig) and making new interior cushions and sewing two new stackpacks for the booms.

Sorry for the upsidedown pic but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180816_181152.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	262944  
lifeafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 15:18   #73
Marine Service Provider

Yes its watertight first wooden chocks to hold it in there then expanding pu foam and finaly 12 layers of matting with epoxy. Sometimes a bit rolly but can counteract with the sails.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:33   #74

Lifeafloat - Good to make your acquaintance, my wife and I are now living aboard in the work yard at Napa Valley Marina, in Napa CA. We are doing a refit of Faith (Carribean 50) and then heading south to Mexico and the West across the Pacific. I still have Borealis in Port Ludlow and am trying to sell her. Next time I come up there I would like to visit you in Bremerton. Is your boat the same one that was for sale in Anacortes a few years ago? It seems that I read somewhere that she was owned by a Texan.

Currently on Faith we are repairing the delaminated deck and cracking into the fuel tanks, Perkins engine and rudder. I am convinced that we have hull delamination as there is water and white residue leaching out of screw holes in the hull so I am trying to get a handle on that without peeling the laminate, I am considering to blank off the trunk and have the centerboard reconstructed in Mexico since I have some big projects and don't want to get to bogged down. I still have not figured out how to repair the rudder without removing it which seems easy and simple but looks more difficult on closer look. I'll start posting utube videos soon on 'Sailing Faith', nothing posted yet.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:57   #75
Marine Service Provider

Rudder removal is pretty easy just remove the copper rivets and the shoe and drop it. Hard part is plenishing new rivets back in ! All you need is a length of solid copper rod 13mm (not half inch by the way) I still have the teak deck that was redone 15yrs ago still looking good ! Regarding performance can't say a lot changed but we cruise not race on passages average 150nm I still have my Perkins as it will run on anything and a full rebuild kit is @600usd have no intention of changing it. If you do keep the Perkins make sure you do the manicooler modification. Good luck with your project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	After engine.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	263859   Click image for larger version

Name:	port engine.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	263860