Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2023, 17:36   #16

Re: +50% displacement compared to 'light weight'. Is that realistic?

Ttsvel lift scales are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate. Especially on small boats like this. They are not actually weighing the boat, they are just measuring the hydraulic pressure in the system. Kind of related, sort of, to the weight of the boat, but not linear, and not in any way calibrated. One travel lift gauges, our boat has varied from 35,000 to 43,000 lbs depending o the phase of the moon. Even on a realy small travel lift, this boat is a rounding error.

DO NOT worry about it. If you really had that much extra weight in the boat, she would be WAY down on her lines. VERY obviously so. I'm just guessing but this boat is probably something like 3 or 4 tons an inch of submergence?
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 17:49   #17

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

And don't go too much by the height of the waterline. Many cruisers go way higher with the antifouling than the real waterline.
It's just much easier to keep a clean waterline area...
Old 18-09-2023, 17:59   #18

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I'm just guessing but this boat is probably something like 3 or 4 tons an inch of submergence?
No way, not now, not ever.
With ~28' on the water and ~9' or less at the waterline beam coupled with that DL ratio, I'd be surprised if it's more than ~800>900lbs per inch immersion.
Old 18-09-2023, 18:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
No way, not now, not ever.
With ~28' on the water and ~9' or less at the waterline beam coupled with that DL ratio, I'd be surprised if it's more than ~800>900lbs per inch immersion.
My bad. I turned it around... I completely agree with YOUR numbers, I MEANT to say 3 or 4 inches per ton... Damn... getting old sucks.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 21:06   #20

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

The P B O clearly states the vsl is well over design w/l ,so she may well be much heavier than expected ,the question must be where is the weight ,this answer will ditectly effect the stability,given the plans show a slack bilged relitivly narrow hull .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 21:17   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I wouldn't even make the trip to see it unless it was on the hard or somewhere you could dive on it. Massive hydrolysis, dinner plate sized blisters and delamination could be part of the issue below the waterline.
I think this would only hold true if the mat has sponged up water, meaning that it had air before, right? (Which hopefully it didn't)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 21:25   #22

What pictures are you looking at that show 10- 15 cm higher waterline?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-09-2023, 07:24   #23

Waterlogged timber boat ?
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2023, 07:29   #24

I have seen a yacht that was way overweight and when they drilled an hole in the hull water came out. It turned out that some of the skin fittings from new were allowing water into the hull. It took about 6 months on the hard to dry the hull out.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2023, 07:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I have seen a yacht that was way overweight and when they drilled an hole in the hull water came out. It turned out that some of the skin fittings from new were allowing water into the hull. It took about 6 months on the hard to dry the hull out.
I guess that it had a double-skin and that the holes for skin-fittings hadn't been reinforced/sealed between skins.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2023, 08:22   #26

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Waterlogged timber boat ?
In the older days when almost all yachts were of carvel planking the more fastidious designers would calculate, (perhaps "guesstimate",) a figure known as "soakage".
A weight of water that was considered as part of the displacement.
In reality just about any conventionally built plank-on-frame boat is by definition "semi-waterlogged" below the waterline.
The planks/keel reach a certain percentage of water content and become reasonably stable at that point.
The species of wood plays a large part in how much water the boat will "take up".
Old 22-09-2023, 10:02   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
+50% displacement compared to 'light weight'. Is that realistic?

Builder/designer displacements tend to be a bit optimistic.
They are also lightship: hull, mast&boom, engine & tanks.

Added weight for boat include sails, poles, dodger/Bimini, fuel, water, batteries….

If the PO was living aboard they probably have more than 1,000kg of personal items.

Also TraveLift scales are suspect.

17.6 SA/D in Lightship condition is pretty good for a cruising boat.

To maintain light air performance you need light air sails, ie nylon.

A spinnaker comes to mind but that would be a bad choice. Cruising is an endurance sport and spinnakers are a comparatively high effort sail. To sail it effectively you really want to have a crew. And if they get out of hand they can damage the boat or injure crew. Many cruising couple tend to take them down in the overnight so they are effective only half the time.

Lower effort alternatives:
CodeZero on a roller
Cruising chute with a sock.
Drifter (180%+ nylon Genoa).

Drifter is the budget choice to buy & maintain. Will point up to close hauled, higher than the other 2. Almost as fast as either.

Chute is somewhat more expensive, slightly fast won’t point much above a beam reach.

CodeZero is probably twice as expensive as the drifter plus way more to maintain the roller, is as fast or slightly faster than the chute. Can point up to a middle close reach.

All of these can be sailed down to a broad reach, or dead down wind if you have a spinnaker or whisker pole.

The drifter should have a few hanks so it will be slightly easier to set and douse. Or you can set it flying for certain wind conditions.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2023, 11:54   #28

You would be amazed an how much weight goes onto a live aboard cruiser. All the gear and supplies is very substantial. Even on a boat this size.

The design weight and actual weight is often quite different. Usually much heavier than advertised.

A boat this age will absorb water. And teak decks add a lot. Especially old ones. Im sure that this is a solid hull. The biggest negative and the main one that I would be concerned about is water absorption in the deck core. If extensive could be a deal breaker. It’s hard to tell with old teak decks on top. Otherwise, I wouldn’t worry about it much.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 07:54   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

#1. Get a survey. Make sure there is not water in the hull

#2. The manufacture’s weights often are dry, empty and possibly without auxiliary. Certainly without all added equipment and owners stuff.

Our ketch holds 7000 pounds of water and diesel. Also added, generator, water maker, electronics, radios, autopilot, four anchors, 250 feet of chain, sail inventory, dinghy, outboard, solar farm, batteries, ships stores, several hundred pounds of tools and spares. We weigh 35-40 tons but the maker’s promo says 57000. We give the travel lift tires a work out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 08:17   #30

A hull that has absorbed water will be heavier when lifted out of the water and it will have more inertia, but there couldn't be enough volume in the hull material alone, that is less dense than seawater, to fill with water that will lower the boat 10 to 15 cm. My own boat originally came with 3120# of lead then in later models they added 1000# OF LEAD and I doubt if it raised the waterline 2 inches in the later models, and that is over a 22.5' waterline and probably 7' wide at the waterline. Seawater has a lot of buoyant force. Actually, come to think of it I am sure I have added over 1000# of stuff and I am at the waterline marked in the hull when previously it was about an inch higher.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
Blue Water boats, blue water sailing, Bow spirit, buying a boat, displacement, heavy, hull, increase sail area, Light wind sailing, long keel, overload, performance cruiser, sail area, sail boat, sailing, wetted area