Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2014, 15:17   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Re: Need survey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
The main reason that you need a survey is to put a check on that rush of blood to the head that can come when buying. It feels really good to pull out the checkbook and plonk down a deposit. The survey is to make sure that 'buyer's remorse" does not set in after.

The second reason is that insurance companies love surveys. Probably from bitter experience. An insurance survey is not going to be that much cheaper than a full survey.

Rust is easy to check with a screwdriver. If it red/ brown and rubs or flakes off then it's rust.

It's an old steel steel boat so rust is a near certainty. The questions are 1) How much? and 2) How extensive?

Most can be chipped out, treated and repainted but some could need the boat taken from the water, steel welded in and reblasting. If it's getting to this level then it's very wise to assess the cost of repairs against the value of the boat before starting the buying process.

From what I've seen so far (outside of rust/corrosion and steering) the biggest question mark would have to be the engine. The very limited amount of cruising that I've done on the Qld and NSW coasts and the continued descriptions of light wind conditions through Asia have convinced me that a good big engine and a fair bit of fuel makes for a lot of peace of mind. I put a 85hp John Deere in a similar boat and there are still times when I think more would have been better.
LOL.. Very true on the rush.. Also will most likely need the ultrasonic survey for the hull plating for the insurance survey.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:29   #17

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: 43' Boro Steel Ketch - Opinions ?

As for your question regarding liability if a surveyor missed something, have you ever read a survey?
They pretty much say they are not responsible for anything missed.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote