Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 10:35   #16

Re: 1960s Spencer 35 MK1. Too Old? Worth it? Anyone one have info on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Only two k heck I should have looked at her I figured at least 5 or 6 for her
Might have even been $1500. We towed her to the lift and he hauled her the day of purchase. Surprisingly I didnt see any blisters. The diesel was frozen up sold though. Young dreamer, I hope her got her fixed up, seem to have no response from an email attempt.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:54   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Might have even been $1500. We towed her to the lift and he hauled her the day of purchase. Surprisingly I didnt see any blisters. The diesel was frozen up sold though. Young dreamer, I hope her got her fixed up, seem to have no response from an email attempt.
If they cant finish her and they actually email back give then mine I may be interested in completing the restoration. Rnewby1@hotmail.com Side note I have never seen any blisters on any spencers I have worked on.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:05   #18

Quote:
If they cant finish her and they actually email back give then mine I may be interested in completing the restoration. Rnewby1@hotmail.com Side note I have never seen any blisters on any spencers I have worked on.
I'll make another attempt.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:49   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am a big fan of boats from the 60s so I'd get a good look at it. I'd sure not expect any issues with hull or stoutness in general, but I'd sure want to know more about the engine there. It's not a roomy boat for its length. I have not sailed one but I would expect it to be very sea-kindly in its motion and I would plan on keeping added weight centralized. (and, no, I don't mean sea-kindly as a euphemism for a slow dog. I'd expect her performance to be better than many and not as good as many.) To my way of thinking it could be a very good hull to build on, but you don't have to go crazy and make her bristol unless you are so inclined and have tons of money, or a shop of your own. I'm inclined to think like Zee, rebuild the engine, and away you go! (I'd probably replace the rigging if it is over ten years or showing any cracks in swaging though)
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 16:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am a big fan of boats from the 60s so I'd get a good look at it. I'd sure not expect any issues with hull or stoutness in general, but I'd sure want to know more about the engine there. It's not a roomy boat for its length. I have not sailed one but I would expect it to be very sea-kindly in its motion and I would plan on keeping added weight centralized. (and, no, I don't mean sea-kindly as a euphemism for a slow dog. I'd expect her performance to be better than many and not as good as many.) To my way of thinking it could be a very good hull to build on, but you don't have to go crazy and make her bristol unless you are so inclined and have tons of money, or a shop of your own. I'm inclined to think like Zee, rebuild the engine, and away you go! (I'd probably replace the rigging if it is over ten years or showing any cracks in swaging though)
Don remember John brandlemeyer designed them as racer cruisers they tend to preform better than most in their class they are long and lean
Old 27-03-2017, 18:48   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Don remember John brandlemeyer designed them as racer cruisers they tend to preform better than most in their class they are long and lean
Even better! I love long and lean!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 19:21   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Offer 5, rip it apart (kindly) "I really love this boat but it's going to take me $30,000 to make it worth $15,000." Also go look at more boats! Let the seller know you're looking at more boats! "I really like this one, but that Catalina sure had a lot of room, it's newer and it's only $12,500 and they said they're negotiable"

If they scoff. Wait a little while. And come back and offer 6,500 in a week. Don't do so immediately so they think they've lost you. Pay for a survey once you finally get them to settle on a low price. And then use the new findings in the survey to justify a lower price again.

Or go find a $25,000 boat that fits your current needs. And sell it in 2 years when you have used it as much as you can possibly use it for $20,000 and then buy a better boat for your developed needs. I'm already thinking 2 boats away from my current boat. And by the time I finish with this one I'll probably have a different idea for both of them.

Also, shipping boats is relatively cheap! Go to uShip.com and cost out some boats. I had someone from Idaho look at a Catalina 30 I had for sale and it was only $3200 to ship it from Annapolis, MD to Northern Idaho up by Washington and Montana. Pretty much as far as you can get from MD.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 21:59   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

You don't say where you are but it looks like Washington or B.C.

Original engine on a Spencer 35 was a Volvo MD2 so it was re-engined sometime.

I have not ever heard of problems with Spencer chainplates which is a good thing as they are very hard to get at. There is one continuous chainplate beneath the three deck tangs that is glassed to the inside of the hull.

Hard to tell from the pics but the mast looks mostly like it shed the paint - I don't see any serious aluminum corrosion except for the surface but I could be wrong. Aluminum isn't fond of paint.

I see it still has the wire halyards and the bronze captive halyard winch. I'd eliminate that first chance as they can be dangerous especially after 50 years.

No leaks from the glassed hull/deck joint and no core in the decks is a huge plus very few boats can lay claim to.

The fuel and water tanks are in the keel aft of the inside lead ballast and are not removable.

Spencers were well built boats and have a good following locally. I know of several locally - all from the first iteration. The MK2 was foam cored. The design is very similar to the Alberg 35 and 37 and some Cape Dory's, and some Luders designs. Typical CCA cruiser/racer that is generally thought of as heavy today. They were not slow though. Jim Kellam raced his in the singlehanded from San Francisco to Hawaii and did well - first or second I think. He is currently in the South Pacific heading to Hawaii after cruising the world for the last few years.

I do agree to make a low offer and the best surveyor may be someone older who knows Spencers well.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 22:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Here's another early 60's Spencer 35 for sale to compare it to:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/15522

Better condition and the asking price is not that much higher.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:53   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in facebook a friend is refitting completely a spenscer 42. i have a friend also, who is cruising mexico in his much loved spencer 42. as these were buil tbefore 1973, there willbe no blistering. that phenomenon began in mid 1970s due to epa requirements slapped on manufacture of fg boats in usa. is why so many manufacturere went out of business at that time.
if you wish to speak with the friend in cali restoring his spencer, please let me know. he is more than willing to give information., he also has a perkins 4-108 in his.
there is nothing like communication with someone who actually owns one so you get the real information, as none of us has one, is your best option. unless it did not kick in your passion., in which case it is time to move along.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:59   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in facebook a friend is refitting completely a spenscer 42. i have a friend also, who is cruising mexico in his much loved spencer 42. as these were buil tbefore 1973, there willbe no blistering. that phenomenon began in mid 1970s due to epa requirements slapped on manufacture of fg boats in usa. is why so many manufacturere went out of business at that time.
if you wish to speak with the friend in cali restoring his spencer, please let me know. he is more than willing to give information., he also has a perkins 4-108 in his.
there is nothing like communication with someone who actually owns one so you get the real information, as none of us has one, is your best option. unless it did not kick in your passion., in which case it is time to move along.
Zee is your Facebook friends boat the SV chasing summer or the SV LA Ruina by chance? I know both of them as well intact the LA Ruina is the one we just sold .
Old 28-03-2017, 12:28   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Zee is your Facebook friends boat the SV chasing summer or the SV LA Ruina by chance? I know both of them as well intact the LA Ruina is the one we just sold .
it is neither. the one to which i referrred is stilll on land being refit totally before launch and cruising. he is willing to share his spencer info with anyone who asks.
there is also deanna b, which is in mazatlan now.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 13:00   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Hum, The boat is a little rough but to my eye, not so bad. Every boat has hull deck leaks somewhere or soon will. Looks like the mast and that yanmar 3gm30f could stand a bit of prime and paint. Exterior engine rust is common, though it indicates that the DPO (dreaded previous owner) does not keep up on maintenance.

It's a solid, hull and solid deck (so no core issues) and a repowered yanmar. Cockpit is a bit too large for blue water but ok for coastal on the nice days. My islander 34 is of the same vintage and same design with all the same "Issues" of the Spenser 35. The do sail well enough. I purchased my 34 for $11k ten years ago. Best money I ever spent.

I'm with Zee, Offer $10k or maybe $8k. If it was a gas engine I'd say $5k. But the yanmar diesel is worth more even if the outsides are a tad rusty If you do the work yourself, electrical and plumbing is not too spendy.

If you buy it, change the raw water impeller out as they tend to go soon on a newly purchased boat as it sat for years.

Also check the exterior oil line located behind the oil filter. If it is rusty at all and sort of bumpy, change it out asap as it's a known failure point, with the steel oil line rusting. If your handy you can drill out the old oil tubes at the banjo bolts and buy $2 worth of 3/32" copper tube and repair it. Yanmar went with copper on the replacement oil lines.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 13:12   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
it is neither. the one to which i referrred is stilll on land being refit totally before launch and cruising. he is willing to share his spencer info with anyone who asks.
there is also deanna b, which is in mazatlan now.
Cool I was just curious the chasing summer ( formerly tane). Is in San Diego in a back yard on his tennis/ basketball court painted yellow and looking better every day.
Old 28-03-2017, 13:17   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum, The boat is a little rough but to my eye, not so bad. Every boat has hull deck leaks somewhere or soon will. Looks like the mast and that yanmar 3gm30f could stand a bit of prime and paint. Exterior engine rust is common, though it indicates that the DPO (dreaded previous owner) does not keep up on maintenance.

It's a solid, hull and solid deck (so no core issues) and a repowered yanmar. Cockpit is a bit too large for blue water but ok for coastal on the nice days. My islander 34 is of the same vintage and same design with all the same "Issues" of the Spenser 35. The do sail well enough. I purchased my 34 for $11k ten years ago. Best money I ever spent..
. .
You would think the cockpit is to big until you see how fast the twin 2 inch drains empty it.
I would rather the Spencer than an islander but not by much .

Tags
enc