Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-08-2022, 10:43   #11

Boat: In pursuit of a Hinckley
Re: 1959 Hinckley 42 Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
CNG is functional and available on the Chesapeake. If you can't find it, contact me offline and I can fix you up.

Converting to propane is quite expensive. Easily $5,000. The stove alone is very expensive (in years past you could buy conversion kits, but most of the stoves no longer have those kits). Building a suitable propane locker is no easy task. And then all the hoses need to be replaced and propane sniffers installed.

Think long and hard before you casually say that you will replace the CNG. A cylinder of CNG, less than $100, should last the casual cruiser about a season. Unless you intend to do long-term and geographically diverse cruising, there is no return on the investment.
I wasn't trying to sound casual. I simply would eliminate the need for CNG or Propane. My thoughts were to go with a basic Alcohol Stove (not pressurized).

What is everyone's thoughts on that? Keep in mind I will not be extended cruising.

Questions would be:

Danger? Is it really dangerous to have an alcohol burner on a wooden boat? I now the flame is hard to see, it burns cooler, will it burn long enough to ignite a counter top? It get put out with water, but would it spread fast?

I know the downfalls are lengthened cook times and tea pot boils. I am good with that if the trade off is removal of tanks, and increased safety.
Hinckley or Die is offline   Reply With Quote