Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2021, 11:32   #1

savages wanted

Hey im relatively new to sailing and have a 9 meter steel barebones sailboat that wants to sail from Bremen (Germany) to Portugal this summer.

Its my fourth boat, and no, the other three didnt sink.

Im looking for one or two other people who want to join efforts in such adventure.

Beware mile collectors and creatures of comfort:

The boat is not a floating spa.
The galley is a gimbaled single gas burner.
The toilet is the latest model bucket system.
No, im not a certified skypper, so i wont be signing your miles.

Now for the savages:

I found this boat last winter, and worked it to be in very good sailing conditions.
No rust inside, good sails, and a very small brand new outboard. Thats it.

We will try to sail all the way to Brest with minimal stops.
Should be possible if nothing breaks. Its a simple boat, and its well built, so it should be fine. We will have to keep watches and some times beat to weather.

In Brest we will wait for a good weather window to cross the bay of Biscay.

Then we will enjoy a real summer in Portugal, most likely in some wild anchorage away from zombies and apocalypse.

Who is up to? Applicants send their curriculums to the HHRR department, or just PM me.

We depart some time in June, when the right winds and Neptune allow us for fair pasaages.

PS: i wont be embarking smugglers of any kind, no drinking while sailing, preferably no smoking.

PS2: I bake the best pizzas in the north sea. I brew the best masala chai in the whole europe. Both will be available the whole duration of the trip.

PS3: Female crews: my girlfriends are wild, mean and jealous, so please only sailing. Male crews: im not your type, buddy.
Caminantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 12:50   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: savages wanted

Are you planning to vlog your trip? I'd subscribe to see how this works out (btw like the ad and now see how you will attract crew)
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 13:34   #3

Hey Bill, thanks.

I actually started the thread after you got me thinking about crew and how in life somebody will voluntary expose him/she/it self to plain salvaje sailing...

No vlog over here. No time for it.

On a typical savaje day i hunt and gather all the materials, gear, knowledge and tools i need for the proyects. Then i m back to work and building prototypes. Then i go for the testing.

Long gone are the days when life was as simple as... eat, sh.t, sleep. The reallity of adventure is... hard work!

I rebuilt 4 sailboats in 3 years, from total abandonment to floating/travelling machines. No money. No buying nothing. Just plain raw materials, some tools, lots of work, and a bit of good luck, and the right helping hands.

And then of course no building proyect is ever finished until we dont undertake a wild journey on it.

When i m not building/traveling, im bussy being a pirate-father to my very creative, sensitive and lovely daughters.

They live traped in a crystal box, in a civilized world of rules, by a dangerous, ferocious, organized and powerfull pythoness... who once also almost trapped me!

Yeah, i hope the mother doesnt read this thread

My role is to bring some happy chaos and out of the box experiences when i visit my daugthers.

Which i do every time i survive an adventure. Next meeting will be in Portugal yeah!!

Wonder if some inocent soul will take the bait with this new thread...

Oh Sh.t! I didnt knew we where LIVE!

Old 28-05-2021, 07:07   #4

The story of how you escaped the python would be very interesting to me. I myself am trapped in a series of boxes, being shuffled from one to the other throughout the day, guarded by these mythical pythons. I'm plotting my escape that I should have enough means to make it to my goal of freedom.

I admire your vibe and hold it as a personal goal for myself! Best of luck!
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 13:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschaefer4 View Post
The story of how you escaped the python would be very interesting to me. I myself am trapped in a series of boxes, being shuffled from one to the other throughout the day, guarded by these mythical pythons. I'm plotting my escape that I should have enough means to make it to my goal of freedom.

I admire your vibe and hold it as a personal goal for myself! Best of luck!
The python cant squeeze water. Im water. No bank account. No criminal record. No debt. Not owning anything.

While most people run after money, like it is some sort of god who will make your wishes come true... one day.

I just go and do what i dream doing, skipping the intermediary you know. And i do it always now. When you do now, you are always one step ahead.

Be it money, governments, institutions, or self proclaimed authorities, in any and all fields. I deal with it the bare minimum so they let me in peace. And they do.

I know very well in what kind of world we live, and how compressed it all is. The society of always being tired. The society of watching it happen in a screen. The society of always explaining, and always complaining. The society where everything that is not prohibited, is obligatory. The plastic society, yeah. The society of always needing more.

Well. I love society you know. With all its flaws, i m a product of it. So are you. So are we all.

Most people worry about the future. I couldnt care less about it. At the end, we die. Im fully occupied with the now.

I own very little, and let everything i own go away any time the situation requires. I go so light then.

And because i empty myself so often, more stuff comes every time. Its a law of nature. Emptiness attracts everything. Fullness cant ever accept more.

I dont run after things, because that way, they will run away from me. I dont run away from things, because that way, they will chase me.

Instead of running, i make my mind, and change it every time i need. And i focus and go slowly, step by step, and keep the focus all the way.

I challenge myself all the time, and that way, i learn stuff... and i learn to trust myself.

I spend long hours in my own company in silence, that way, i enjoy my solitude. And i m never alone.

I make lots of mistakes. And i learn with each one of them.

The python can only get a hold of you if you give her something to grip. I laugh about the python.

I have an insurance for my boat, and a registration, and i keep them motorized and in sizes that require no license to drive them. I stay within the legal frame to avoid unnecesary conflicts.

I keep my necesities to the bare minimum. I have so much time then to use in what really motivates me. I dont do stuff that takes away my energy. I do stuff that energizes me.

Now for instance, i m doing my boat. Every day i do something that gets me a step closer to my goal.

My goal, my dream, is to be sailing in some nice places, and it is already happening right here where i am.

Im in the water, im surrounded by other people in their boats, im learning stuff all the time, i go places, i built stuff, i eat nice stuff, i gather and hunt and sit and chill and swimm and sing. I m alive.

So when death comes, i will kiss her in her mouth, just to check how good a kisser she is.

Thats who i am. No python ever had a chance.

Thats too, who you are. The rest, are just excuses.

My escape is always now. If you are plotting, you are too slow. Do it now. Do it with love. You ve been rehearsing for too long. Improvising is king.

Give those hungry pythons some mice and go out there, and be water.
Old 26-08-2021, 10:57   #6

Have you departed?
Thecarslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 13:00   #7

Better than that: i ve had an amazing summer and met a bunch of nice people from whom i ve been learning lots of things.

Went for sailing in a variety of different boats. From Optimist, to surfboards, to workboats, speedboats and historic wooden ships.

Pizzas rolled all summer, and we had fun. And i met a though sweet girl (who crossed biscay with her papa on a sailboat when she was five, storm and everything). She has her boat tied next to mine, and she is too a good reason for me to slow down my plans of sailing away this summer.

Got involved with the city and the area around it all the while i lived on my boat. Met some crazy ingeneers and sailors with whom we built some fun stuff. I was using their workshops for my little summer proyects.

Ended up modifiying more than a couple of things on my boat too. Very happy with the results so far. Living on board you do a little bit every day... and after a few months you look back and a lot happened. I weld now like i play guitar. Dunnomif thats good or bad, but i love it.

Modified the cabin, added a doghouse and a watertight door to replace the companionway sliding hatch, modified the cockpit well, and added four more water scoopers too.

I managed to get the diesel inbord running. I was really doubting i could. But with the guidance of experience fellows and some patience, it worked!

Built a woodstove and installed it, so this winter will be cozzy on board.

I also changed the styropor isolation for raw sheep wool isolation. Much better feeling. And the farmers around just dispose of it, so i ve got it for coins.

Built a new interior layout using pallet wood, way more space to hang out, and more and better storage areas well down and in the center of the boat.

Played with ground tackle configurations, and now i have 3 different anchors that i can use in different situations.

Played with mast and sail configurations too. A pair of old junk rig sails made of waxed canvas found their way to my boat. And found an old conical lamp post that will soon be a new mast for the big junk sail. The other smaller junk sail i will keep for making patches when needed.

September i will be sailing the bermuda rig configuration around with a cool old-ish sailor i met, who goes engineless most of the time with his modern version of a gaff rig. He did the route i want to do in small boats, single handed. So there is much i m learning from him and the book he wrote.

Somewhere in autoom i will temporarly step the other mast and play with the junk rig before i decide which rig i want to sail next summer.

I am curious about the junk rig since years, and now finally have the chance to try a conversion after much reading and wondering how it would be to sail one.

The sailing to Portugal is still a goal for summer... but 2022 now.

What happens meanwhile is the fun of preparing the boat, meeting the right people, playing with the rigs and doing some sailing in the area. And eating pizzas. And drinking chai. But i mentioned that already

Dunno if i will find people to do the trip with me, but i may very well feel confident enough to do it alone after all. I definitively feel more confident after this summer living and playing around on the boat. I also have a better impression of the skills required to pull this one, and i am consistently working on them.

And then there is luck, and what the gods have in store for us, simple mortals.
Old 27-08-2021, 07:05   #8

Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caminantes View Post
Played with mast and sail configurations too. A pair of old junk rig sails made of waxed canvas found their way to my boat. And found an old conical lamp post that will soon be a new mast for the big junk sail. The other smaller junk sail i will keep for making patches when needed.

September i will be sailing the bermuda rig configuration around with a cool old-ish sailor i met, who goes engineless most of the time with his modern version of a gaff rig. He did the route i want to do in small boats, single handed. So there is much i m learning from him and the book he wrote.

Somewhere in autoom i will temporarly step the other mast and play with the junk rig before i decide which rig i want to sail next summer.

I am curious about the junk rig since years, and now finally have the chance to try a conversion after much reading and wondering how it would be to sail one.
The world will be better for having another junkie in it.

I am currently converting my Jasmine into a junk rig sloop.

If you need help, advice, or a shoulder to cry on just holler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colours.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	244312  
Old 27-08-2021, 07:29   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: savages wanted

Quote:
Better than that: i ve had an amazing summer and met a bunch of nice people from whom i ve been learning lots of things.

Went for sailing in a variety of different boats. From Optimist, to surfboards, to workboats, speedboats and historic wooden ships.

Pizzas rolled all summer, and we had fun. And i met a though sweet girl (who crossed biscay with her papa on a sailboat when she was five, storm and everything). She has her boat tied next to mine, and she is too a good reason for me to slow down my plans of sailing away this summer.

Got involved with the city and the area around it all the while i lived on my boat. Met some crazy ingeneers and sailors with whom we built some fun stuff. I was using their workshops for my little summer proyects.

Ended up modifiying more than a couple of things on my boat too. Very happy with the results so far. Living on board you do a little bit every day... and after a few months you look back and a lot happened. I weld now like i play guitar. Dunnomif thats good or bad, but i love it.

Modified the cabin, added a doghouse and a watertight door to replace the companionway sliding hatch, modified the cockpit well, and added four more water scoopers too.

I managed to get the diesel inbord running. I was really doubting i could. But with the guidance of experience fellows and some patience, it worked!

Built a woodstove and installed it, so this winter will be cozzy on board.

I also changed the styropor isolation for raw sheep wool isolation. Much better feeling. And the farmers around just dispose of it, so i ve got it for coins.

Built a new interior layout using pallet wood, way more space to hang out, and more and better storage areas well down and in the center of the boat.

Played with ground tackle configurations, and now i have 3 different anchors that i can use in different situations.

The sailing to Portugal is still a goal for summer... but 2022 now.

What happens meanwhile is the fun of preparing the boat, meeting the right people, playing with the rigs and doing some sailing in the area. And eating pizzas. And drinking chai. But i mentioned that already

Dunno if i will find people to do the trip with me, but i may very well feel confident enough to do it alone after all. I definitively feel more confident after this summer living and playing around on the boat. I also have a better impression of the skills required to pull this one, and i am consistently working on them.

And then there is luck, and what the gods have in store for us, simple mortals.
Sounds like the gods of luck and amity have been smiling on you all summer and the bluebird of happiness has well and truly dumped on your shoulder...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 07:58   #10

Quote:
I played with mast and sail configurations too. A pair of old junk-rig sails made of waxed canvas found their way to my boat. And I found an old conical lamppost that will soon be a new mast for the big junk sail. The other smaller junk sail I will keep for making patches when needed.

Somewhere in the Autumn, I will temporarly step the other mast and play with the junk rig before I decide which rig I want to sail next Summer.

I have been curious about junk rigs for years, and now finally have the chance to try a conversion after much reading and wondering how it would be to sail one.
For Caminantes and Stormsignal, here's a thread from another CF Member and junk-rig fan:

Junk-Rigged Cruisers and AMA
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ma-234617.html

Unfortunately, it seems that Captn_Black hasn't been back to the Forum since June 2020. Guess he must be out there sailing...!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 08:08   #11

Boat: 2004 Hunter 44ac

Love your outlook and adventurous spirit. I wish you well in your travels.
Ltfdrebbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 11:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsignal View Post
The world will be better for having another junkie in it.

I am currently converting my Jasmine into a junk rig sloop.

If you need help, advice, or a shoulder to cry on just holler.
Hey, sure it would be nice to stay in touch, i could also ask you some questions. I see at your plan that Jasmin is full keeled, and that you will go for Hassler-Macload sailplan.

Drifter has a long and wide fin keel, with a skeg mounted rudder. It has only 120cm (4 feet) draft, so you can imagine how wide and long the keel is. It is probably not the best upwind performer, no matter which rig it carries hahaha.

The sails i ve got seem to be built with the battens fanned like the traditional chinese, the foot and the luff of the big one are both about 5 meter long. It looks a little bit like a Vincent Reddish sail. Its surface is around 30 sqm. Long sturdy battens i will have to build. Its is cutted flat, so lift will have to be generated by controlling the twist.

Mast position i was thinking two options. Either i position it some 40 cm forward of the current mast, with a little forward rake to move the CE even more forward. Or, i position it plumbed further forward, where the forehatch is now. Im not really worried about getting too much lee helm, since that would be difficult to achieve with a low aspect ratio junk sail like the one i have. Weather helm seems to be more common with junk rigged boats.

I would prefer the first option if possible, since the second one implies either not having a forward hatch anymore, or having to move it forward. Forward hatch is a safety device in my view, and also is great for creating good ventilation at port. Of course, i could also build a dorade vent to generate ventilation, and do without a forehatch. But i like having one.

The mast i found is a 10 meter long, conic galvanized light pole that is 20cm diameter at its base and only 14cm at the top. The bury alone will take a good 1,8 meters, which leaves some 8 meters up from the deck level (or cabine roof level). I could even cut off a good meter, maybe even 150cm, and the mast heigh would still be enough to carry the sail.

What i m not sure, is how the boat will handle all the weight aloft. Heavy mast, battens, heavy sailclothe.

And i m also wondering if the relatively sharp form of the hull forward, with all that weight also forward, wont tend to dive a bit too much in the choppy seas we have around thos area. Not sure if i have enough buoyancy for such a rig. But i am willing to try and see.

I m also wondering if a tabernacle wouldnt be also a good idea, since i already put the current mast up and down a few times due to the bridges here, and i may want to do it in the nearby future also when junk rigged.

With the current 9 meter hinged bermuda alu mast, its quite easy using a peatonal bridge at low tide, it only needs two people, one to handle the halyard from the bridge and the other to wrestle the mast on deck.

For a heavier unstayed mast, i would prefer to have a sturdier tabernacle with its base buried all the way to the keel, the hinge maybe a meter off the deck, and a little ballast on the lower part of the mast to counterweight the weight aloft.

Im in contact with Kris Larsen, who sailed his engineless junk rigged Kehaar at least 60.000 miles, including a recent circumnavigation. He says he has a Hassler-Masload sail, 50 sqm on Kehaar, and his 5 ton boat needs that much sail in the tropics, where he sails, because of the calms.

Here in the north sea, we have stronger winds, also my boat is a little lighter, and i have a motor.

In any case, i like the idea of the low aspect mast and rig, and it is what i have. Im very curious on how it will interact with my hull and the sea conditions here.

I post this here in case others have also interest on the subject. I will now check the other tread about junks. I will write you a PM to stay in touch. Good to find others with the same interest and enthusiasm on the junk rig!
Old 27-08-2021, 11:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
For Caminantes and Stormsignal, here's a thread from another CF Member and junk-rig fan:

Junk-Rigged Cruisers and AMA
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ma-234617.html

Unfortunately, it seems that Captn_Black hasn't been back to the Forum since June 2020. Guess he must be out there sailing...!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Hey thanks for the link, i will check it now.
Old 27-08-2021, 11:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sounds like the gods of luck and amity have been smiling on you all summer and the bluebird of happiness has well and truly dumped on your shoulder...
Indeed Boatman! I can only say THANK YOU to the universe for this life of adventure and energy all around. So much to see! So much to learn! So much to enjoy!

Curious on what will the comming months bring
Old 27-08-2021, 12:24   #15

Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist

Quote:
I see at your plan that Jasmin is full keeled, and that you will go for Hassler-Macload sailplan.
Jasmine is a 32ft Samson C-Mist whose design is based on the famous Atkin Eric and is similar to a Westsail.

I do need to correct your(understandable) incorrect belief that Jasmine's sail will be a Hasler-McLeod design.

In fact the design was by Victor Winterthun and is cambered using the barrel cut method developed by Arne Kverneland.
Both gentlemen are Norwegians.

The sail was made at my ranch and will join the mast and boat in Durban in early October.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Whole Sail.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	244318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Victor Winterthun_Dbl Sheet.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	244319  

Name:	h.jpg