Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2021, 16:35   #1

Power Catamarans - Training

Maybe you can help? I am wanting to get some basic training on a power cat so that I can do a bareboat charter. I would like to pay someone to work with me for a few days on basic GPs/Chartplotting, Docking, anchoring etc. I have 30 plus years boating experience in Bays and Lakes but on smaller boats. I am having trouble finding a Power Cat to train on. How different would practicing on sailing Cat without sails up? I can travel to Florida or anywhere else. Does anyone have some ideas for me?
robertgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 18:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Power Catamarans - Training

Suggest you contact a charter company. Most have ASA and powerboat training. As others posted in your other thread, power cats handle the same as sailing cats- at low speed. Two big differences is top speed and helm location. I can dock a Saba 50 easier than a 38’ power cat, Why? Getting from the helm to the rail to secure the boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 10:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Robert
I can arrange a cat charter on Chesapeake Bay (or other areas but I am based in Annapolis) and provide training in seamanship, boat handling and piloting. I am ASA certified to instruct up to Advanced Coastal Cruising and hold a 100 license and other certifications. Please feel free to contact me via pm and we can discuss this further.

Thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 13:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Robert
I can arrange a cat charter on Chesapeake Bay (or other areas but I am based in Annapolis) and provide training in seamanship, boat handling and piloting. I am ASA certified to instruct up to Advanced Coastal Cruising and hold a 100 license and other certifications. Please feel free to contact me via pm and we can discuss this further.

Thanks
Paul,
My wife and I are planning on buying a boat (this year) and keeping it on the Chesapeake somewhere. We plan to use it May-Sept as a live-aboard, to explore the coastal environs, and to shuttle once a season to Long Island, to accommodate various children and their families in the two locales. We have decades of experience on power boats of 22 feet or less, plus I had two afternoons in Newport NAVOCS learning how to execute man overboard rescues in a yard patrol craft. But zip useful experience in 40+ footers, which we are seeking. Clearly we will need lessons so please give me your contact information. I will bring money. As I understand it the unit of currency in the boating world is the boat buck (=$1000 USD at current rate of exchange.)
Ry
RylandIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 08:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Ry, Thanks! I will send you a pm and you may do the same and we can exchange contact information. As for "boat bucks", well, we can certainly discuss that but for now, let's just see how I may best be helpful to you. Thanks! Paul
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, training