Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 08:43   #1

Panama City Beach, FL: Trying to become as seaworthy as my beard

Howdy All,

I grew a really big beard and everyone always gets mad at me when they realize I don't know how to sail. This needs to change.

I am interested in learning as much as possible about sailing with the expressed interest in eventually crewing for ARC.

I'm an Eagle Scout so I have experience with knots, am physically fit and not dependent on any substances. I am highly motivated and happy to help with any maintenence to earn my time on your boat.

I also work as an English teacher, writer, editor, and have experience with videography and graphic design, so if I can skill share to motivate you to spend time teaching me, I am more than happy to do so.

Please help me earn this beard, shaving is such a chore

Cheers,

Ben Slaughter

PS I've never posted here so please be gentle
Karl_hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Panama City Beach, FL: Trying to become as seaworthy as my beard

If you can afford a six-pack of beer and have non-marking shoes, I suggest going to a local yacht club and offering to crew for race boats. PC yacht clubs sponsor several races in the area, therefore captains (old guys with boats) will want to go out. If you write an email to the club, they'll probably put you in touch with someone looking for crew. If that captain is a pain, move on. Make clear to all concerned your level of interest and current skills, so there's no surprises on the water when someone tells you to trim the headsail for speed.

Check out St. Andrews - https://www.stabyc.com/Waterfront/Racing/Overview.aspx or

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:49   #3

Thanks a lot for your response. This is great info!
Karl_hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02   #4
cruiser

Phil 36' morgan o.i. philharmonic10@yahoo.com
wander 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, seaworthy