Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 20:25   #16

Re: Life change now need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I'm 70 and solo a lot. Powerboat, divorced 30+ years, but who's counting? I've been on the water most of my life. Because I'm a vet and America seems to be constantly at war, there are a lot of vets and vet organizations. When my circle of friends doesn't include people that want to go where I'm going when I'm going, I usually post something on one of the vet sites and am inundated with seekers. You probably have similar sources, including sites like this.
I usually try for people that can cook or stand a wheel watch. Sometimes a couple or couples. It is good practice to do a short cruise first to see how everyone gets along. A few times I hired a house keeper/cook that could at least handle lines when docking. Women alone are a lot of trouble.
The deal I usually have for passengers is I supply normal American food, coffee, tea and drinking water. If they want soda pop, special foods, yuppie food, that's their expense. Booze is a personal expense except for my friends. Sometimes for new friends. Everybody contributes to the running of the boat. Cook, clean, on board laundry, watches, maintenance, whatever.
Start think of your rules. Have them in advance of a crew so they will know the rules before boarding. If you have rules, enforce them or you have no rules. Rules make everything go better. Also talk to your insurance company. If you pay someone, know your responsibilities for taxes, etc. If you're crossing borders, make sure crew has proper papers. Many border crossings are easy, but some are run by former Gestapo agents. Be prepared.

Great advice and thanks heaps
hellsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 20:29   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayski View Post
Are you absoulutely positive your partner in this boat is gone? Does this person have money tide up in the project? And they're just walking away? Maybe some time will straighten all that out, and if not you may come across someone reliable that wants to sail the world and would love this opportunity, I can't imagine it would be that hard to find someone. It's just got to be someone you can count on and get along with, there in lies the problem!

100% sure on everything. This is all mine and it seems the dream was to.
hellsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 05:36   #18

I sent you a pm. I was having trouble posting today, but got it worked out.
Mayagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:27   #19

Salutations, hoping your dream is now a living reality, one day I to will finally, achieve long time life goal of the same dream, living on the ocean waters, sailing the world, for we're here on this beautiful planet, be a shame not to see it all before leaving
AnnE3Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:06   #20

Good luck!
Mayagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:12   #21

Thanks for your post. best wish for you!
inlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 13:21   #22

Hamish I don't think you will have any problems. You have an awesome boat and who would not want to go on such an adventure? It's the dream of a lifetime for many people, not just you. I am certain you can find just the right people to accompany you and pay their own way and maybe help you with expenses. I know it seems like this is a huge hiccup in realizing your life's' dream, but I really believe that things happen for a reason. We don't always see it at the moment. But someday you will. There is more than one one way to do things and you will find people who are knowledgeable and helpful and will be a great help and good company. I wish you smooth sailing.
GottaGo1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 14:03   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hamish,

Here's a link to a thread about skippers' responsibility to voluntary crew, post 55 on the page has a sample crew agreement. You might want to have a look and see what you think. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-159768-4.html

Ann