Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 21:17   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Need advice on engine speed/gear change adjustment

Greetings to all,

I'm looking for advice or tips on the procedure for adjusting the throttle/gearshift setup on my boat.

I have a Yanmar 2qm15 diesel engine coupled to a Hurth KBW10 gearbox and these are operated by two brand new 17ft long Morse C33 cables connected to a near new Morse MV2 Single Lever (side mounted) Engine Control. However, since installing the new MV2 control and cables I am having trouble getting the adjustments done right.

According to Yanmar's recommendations, the engine should be at idle speed when either forward or reverse gear are engaged, but I haven't yet been able to achieve that ideal situation. I've spent hours buggerising around with the various adjustment points on the engine, gearbox, and cables, and now have it going into forward gear at around 750rpm which is near idle speed, but when I slip it into reverse the engine jumps up to around 1500rpm. At this speed the gearbox gives a loud clunking noise as the gear engages and I fear I might cause some internal damage.

It seems to me the problem is a design flaw caused by the amount travel the control lever actually has, because it begins opening the engine throttle well before a gear is fully engaged. Having reverse engaging at this faster speed makes the boat more difficult to manouvre into it's jetty mooring, particularly when I am alone.

So I'm hoping someone on the forum experienced with these morse controls can offer me some advice, thanks.

bony.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 21:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need advice on engine speed/gear change adjustment

Its all about the travel.

When shifting from neutral to forward or aft, with out advancing the Governor, measure the inches of travel on the throttle cable.

Now with a little geometry you will be able to deduce the length of the lever required by the throw of the governor.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Greetings to all,

I'm looking for advice or tips on the procedure for adjusting the throttle/gearshift setup on my boat.

I have a Yanmar 2qm15 diesel engine coupled to a Hurth KBW10 gearbox and these are operated by two brand new 17ft long Morse C33 cables connected to a near new Morse MV2 Single Lever (side mounted) Engine Control. However, since installing the new MV2 control and cables I am having trouble getting the adjustments done right.

According to Yanmar's recommendations, the engine should be at idle speed when either forward or reverse gear are engaged, but I haven't yet been able to achieve that ideal situation. I've spent hours buggerising around with the various adjustment points on the engine, gearbox, and cables, and now have it going into forward gear at around 750rpm which is near idle speed, but when I slip it into reverse the engine jumps up to around 1500rpm. At this speed the gearbox gives a loud clunking noise as the gear engages and I fear I might cause some internal damage.

It seems to me the problem is a design flaw caused by the amount travel the control lever actually has, because it begins opening the engine throttle well before a gear is fully engaged. Having reverse engaging at this faster speed makes the boat more difficult to manouvre into it's jetty mooring, particularly when I am alone.

So I'm hoping someone on the forum experienced with these morse controls can offer me some advice, thanks.

bony.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 22:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Sounds like a bit more adjustment on the throttle cable is required. See section 6.3

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downl...ner_Manual.pdf
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 23:55   #4

Hi FlyingCloud1937,

"....Now with a little geometry you will be able to deduce the length of the lever required by the throw of the governor."

Thanks for your good advice.

Your reply got me thinking about the throttle governor setup on my 2qm15 engine compared to other examples of this model.

After consulting the Yanmar service manual and using Google Images to find pics of other 2qm15's I realise now that there is a part missing from my linkage setup. The image below shows a 2qm15 throttle governor with an adjustable slotted yoke fitting attached between it and the cable. I'm guessing the slot might allow a slight time delay before the linkage begins to move the governor. If this is the case then it might be the answer to my problem because my engine does not have that type of fitting.

Hi sailorchic34,

You are probably right, but I've spent ages trying to fine tune the cable adjustment with not much success, I'll try the fitting mentioned above to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the link to the MV2 manual.

bony
Old 22-01-2015, 13:30   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Need advice on engine speed/gear change adjustment

I've fitted two morse levers, the throttle cable shouldn't move when going from neutral to fwd or reverse detent. Something is wrong in the way it's connected in the morse head

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22-01-2015, 18:05   #6

Hi goboatingnow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I've fitted two morse levers, the throttle cable shouldn't move when going from neutral to fwd or reverse detent. Something is wrong in the way it's connected in the morse head
Well, I'm pretty sure I've got the control head setup the correct way according the MV2 manual. The only thing I can think of is in the amount of unrestricted cable you are supposed to have. The manual says you need to have the cable unrestricted for at least two feet back from the control to allow for 4" of up and down freeplay movement. However, in my setup both cables run down the side of the boat under the gunwhale then pass up inside the gunwhale to reach the control. The gunwhale is filled with foam and this only gives me about a foot or so of freeplay in the cable near the control head. I guess it's possible that this might restrict the movement of the spring loaded swivel bracket and that might be part of the overall adjustment problem.

I'll will have another rethink and see if I can improve my setup.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 25-01-2015, 19:50   #7

Hello everyone,
Just updating this thread for anyone who might have a similar query in the future.

I managed to solve my problem and have got it dropping into gear at idle in both forward and reverse. The cause of my problem turned out to be a part missing from my cable to governor arm linkage. I think the part could be called a "slotted clevis pin yoke". I made one up out of stainless steel and it fixed my adjustment problem because the slot allows the engine to remain at idle speed until just after a gear is engage. So all is good now and a lesson was learned.

Thanks,
bony

Tags
engine, gear, men