Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 16:04   #1

LA-SF Grand Banks 42, June 11

Looking for help taking a 42' Grand Banks from Long Beach to Half Moon Bay. Delivery window starts June 11 and we'll hop off when the forecast looks good, 48 hours to Half Moon Bay.
Boat is a very well maintained 1968 wood hull just had a major shipyard rehab.
I'll fly you home from SFO.
Hardy Wronske
323-309-2041
@websterwoodenboat on IG
HardyWronske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 19:52   #2

Boat: 1976 Fantasia35 Mk I
Re: LA-SF Grand Banks 42, June 11

I am interested in crewing on your LB to HMB trip. If you’ll send me your email address, I’ll send you my sailing resume. ronharben@yahoo.com
Pukakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 20:02   #3

Hardy - did you continue planning this trip? There are a few people on CF who know this route pretty well and can assist in planning if desired. As a past delivery skipper, I can attest to the benefits of a knowledgeable shore-side wx planner. I spent 5 years delivering Nordhavns from Dana Point to points north to minimize sales tax so have decent strategy along this coast.

Re-post of you're still thinking about this. I know you're looking for crew, but there are other helpful resources on this list too.

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 20:40   #4

Yes, this trip is still on and I still have bunks available.
I'd love some weather help Peter. Just had a great few days, which was well forecasted. So I'm hoping to get on the next great weather window and then it'll be more fun than work.
Hardy
323-309-2041
Old 03-06-2021, 21:28   #5

What year is your GB and how is she powered?

Right now is an unusually good experience window. If you wait for another similar, could be a while. Your struggle is 150 nms from Conception to Lobos. 20 hours, of which you can likely minimize your exposure to around 5-7 hours of junk in the afternoon when the winds howl.

Following assumes a delivery schedule vs a port-to-port run during daylight hours. Diurnal wx patterns during summer are strong NW winds building to 25 kts in the afternoon, subsiding to relative calm by sunset. This means running at night avoids the bigger chop.

GB42 with its plumb bow is a fairly wet ride, but also means its pretty comfortable in a headset as it slices through vs over chop. Make sure your ports are sound and your deck gear is well secured.

I normally planned go round Conception/Arguello around midnight as it's the most likely to have calm weather. Risk is that if it's not calm, it's a bit scary in the dark. A decent Plan B is to anchor at Cojo and depart at dusk to round Conception. Port San Luis is preferable to Morro Bay because it's an open anchorage which means no tides or currents in or out. Anchor at the back of PSL and it's easy to depart at midnight. PSL is 100 nms from Pt Lobos. For some reason, I often hit junk around Pt Sal/Miguel but only for a few hours. Workable as long as weather isn't forecast to be awful. There is always a small craft warning along this coast so if you're waiting for something better, might as well play the lottery- odds are better. It's not as bad as it seems though - 6-foot at 5-6 seconds is scary at first, but not dangerous. Make sure your dinnerware is well stowed with padding between the plates. You will not see more than 4-6 hours of junk this time of year.

Another tip. I like the beach route. Meaning that during afternoon hours when the winds pickup, I hug the shore within 1.5 nms. Just outside the sure line. But you have to watch your charts and watch for crab pots. In the late afternoon when. The winds start to die down, I'll drift out to 400+ foot depth to mostly avoid crab traps.

Assuming your windows are relatively watertight to repel spray, you have a good boat to head north on this coast. You may hit a decent wx window similar to what's happening right now, but not likely. I can tell you that this time of year, the junk lasts for a few hours mostly, not sustained. Bear with it and you'll be fine.

When your departure date gets closer, I am happy to provide tactical weather guidance. 5-days out is the furthest you can start to plan, and go/no-go is more like 3-days out. But you have to get close go Conception, either Cojo or Santa Rosa Isand.

It's a good run. I've given the worst of it only because it was my life for 5 years when I was a delivery skipper. It's a very workable coast and a workable run. But it can be a bit sloppy. Not dangerous, but bumpy.

Peter
Old 03-06-2021, 22:08   #6

Webster is a 1968, single Lehman repowered in the 1980's, 8kts.
Thank you for all the thoughts. This past week has been incredible out there!
My likely plan is to make a 24 hour 'go', leave Long Beach the following noon to arive Pt Conception daybreak, in case we need to anchor at Cojo.
If we continue we'll get to San Luis noon and can anchor to wait out the blow.
Leave San Luis at night and see Monterey before the next afternoon blow and decide to push on or anchor again.
People talk big about this coast, and I have zero experience on it, but from what I can tell and as you say, it's pretty manageable. The forecasting is good, predictable, and plenty of data. I agree with you, it will be wet on deck at times, (unless it's like this week) but she's a heavy boat and we'll chug through it.
I'll check in with you when I start to see what I think is a window opening. Happy for your thoughts, thank you!
Hardy
323-309-2041
Old 04-06-2021, 04:23   #7

There is a lot of myth about Pt Conception in the recreational boating community. Few venture north but many talk about it. It commands respect, but not the mythology it's developed.

Your plan sounds about right. A couple thoughts though. You will average close to 7 kts, probably not 8 unless you push your Lehman harder. For your planning, maybe use 7-1/4 so you're not too early or late. I was never able to really validate reliable existence of a counter-current that is sometimes mentioned.

Second, Pt Conception is actually two points (Pt Arguello) and a stretch of about 19 or 20 miles between them. Means you have about 3 hours transit time.

Finally, there seemed to be micro climates around Conception, and further up around Pt Sal that created unforecast conditions. Mostly that means while conditions are stronger than expected, they are limited in duration. Its just part of longer distance passages.

I miss running that coast. California is such an amazing state and so diverse. To my liking, "Exploring the Pacific Coast" by Don and Reanne Douglass is the definitive guide (better than Brian Fagans book) and worth the hefty price tag even in today's internet age.

Peter
Old 23-06-2021, 14:42   #8

Boat was delivered to HMB over 5 days with nights anchored at Santa Rosa, San Miguel, San Simeon, docked at Monterey. Crew change Morro Bay Saturday.
Pt. Conception 5am Saturday was zero wind but big slop from 2kt countercurrent pushing west against 1kt south current forming mixed seas predominant 10'@6sec, but never got the decks wet.
Thank you all for your help!

Mammals on this trip:
At San Miguel:
California Sea Lions
Elephant Seals
Stellar sea lions
Harbor Seals
Fin Whales 2
Up the coast:
Sea otters and pup
Humpbacks 40+ over 3 days
Risso Dolphins 100