Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 06:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Deck hand wanted

I am a 100 ton sail and power captain and I deliver boats from one place to another. Some of my trips are short and others can be longer, i.e. 10 days and nights. I am seeking several deck hands with sailing experience to assist me on upcoming trips. This type of work is sporatic, with some deliveries coming one after another and sometimes a long time in between. I am located in Jacksonville, FL and would like to find deck hands within a reasonable distance from here. Please respond and we can get started with the details.
Old 29-02-2020, 14:14   #2

Re: Deck hand wanted

Hi, I'm Virgilio and it's 7 years that I'm working on boats. I have 40.000 nautical miles and I did 3 Atlantic crossing without autopilot (the west to east one we were just 2 people). I worked as Captain, skipper and mate on monohull and catamarans up to 80ft.
Since almost 4 years I live aboard of my my own steel boat.

If you need experienced crew for deliveries, I can help you.

Virgilio.
Virgilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:56   #3

Hello Davie, I am interested in helping with Deckhand responsibilities. Have done a couple crossings and have experience doing this line of work. Please feel free to send me a PM if interested in my help. Currently living and working on my sailboat and am willing to start ASAP.

3yers
3yers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 15:13   #4

Boat: Stamas44

Hi Davie, I would love the opportunity to work an occasional delivery. Other than family gatherings, and occasional visits from grandkids, my schedule is flexible and I can be available on short notice for both short and long duration deliveries. It would be easy to meet up, I live in St Marys, GA just north of you.

Although I have a few years under my keel, I am still capable of standing a few more watches. I have sailed since I was 5 years old (day sailing on Texas lakes, racing Soling, racing Int420, Univ sailing team, sailing instructor as a teen and in college, sailing with friends - other people's boats are treasures - and my own ketch). My boat didn't survive Irma and I haven't sailed much in the last few years, but I have experience offshore as well as coastal and ICW.

Please let me know if you are interested in "mature" crew members.
OldSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Hello Old Sailor,

Chances are that you are not older than me (75) but, in any event, I'll send you an application and let's see where it goes. I'm looking forward to the Northern exodus from the Lesser Antilles and the several deliveries that come up during that time (late April-early June). Let me know how to contact you via email and I'll send you some information.

Dave Jorgensen
Old 11-03-2020, 06:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yers View Post
Hello Davie, I am interested in helping with Deckhand responsibilities. Have done a couple crossings and have experience doing this line of work. Please feel free to send me a PM if interested in my help. Currently living and working on my sailboat and am willing to start ASAP.

3yers
Hello 3yers,

Let me know your email address and I'll send you an application and other information. I'm looking forward to the Northern exodus from the Lesser Antilles and the several deliveries that come up during that time (late April-early June).

Dave Jorgensen
Old 15-04-2020, 05:39   #7

Boat: Irwin MK III 43

Hi Dave, I am 56, retired, financially independent and have a flexible schedule. I live on s/v Amber Marie in Daytona Beach Fla. Amber Marie is an Irwin 43 that I sail around the East Coast of Florida.
Email me and let me know of any upcoming deliveries you have and lets make it happen.

Jeff
Jsurr39395at gm@i1.com
JSurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 10:31   #8

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

G'afternoon Davie,

63y/o retired firefighter/paramedic with international delivery experience including ten trans-Atlantics, have sailed throughout the Bahamas and Caribbean. Have all my own gear including GPS and PLB, stand my own watches, know navigation, cruise prep, provisioning, and can even cook a bit. I'd like to get hooked up with someone like yourself for regular deliveries. CV and excellent references available on request
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 12:06   #9
Marine Service Provider

Hey UGMO,
Man, the market is dead, dead, dead!! So far, all the business I expected has elected to put the boat on the hard and fly home. I don't know if their insurance will cover the boats, being in a hurricane area during the season, but I guess they are willing to take the chance. Maybe some of the insurance companies will cover, but I doubt it. In any event, I'll put you on the list and, if something comes up, I'll give you a shout.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:18   #10

Do you by chance work with people looking for experience? I have been on the water all my life and sailed smaller boats in my younger years, but looking for more water sailing">blue water sailing experience. 50 yrs old and live in Jacksonville.
CRAVEN WIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 12:33   #11

Hi,

I am a 44 year old teacher, changed careers last year. Next career change will be full-time cruising in 5-6 years. I've sailed since I was a kid. Family and I charter 1-2x year. I have done a few 2 day crossings on friends boats. I'd love to come along on deliveries to earn some experience. I have no obligations May 20th-August 12th. I'll accept the experience as payment, so if you want a third watch but don't have the money for a third crew member.
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 21:16   #12

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

I hear ya Capt'n. Picking up a paying gig is getting tougher and tougher!
But yes, if something comes up give me a shout. I can be packed and out the door with short notice. If you'd like a CV and reference page let me know.

Cliff
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 19:26   #13

Hi STCW, Bareboat cruising, health cert looking to work deliveries
visionsinsight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, wanted