Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2024, 01:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461
Atlantic Crossing - Clearwater, FL, USA to Cork, Ireland in t-minus three weeks

I plan to cross the Atlantic from North America (Clearwater, Florida, USA) to Europe (Cork, Ireland) stopping in Bermuda for a night and the Azores for a week. Weather permitting, the departure from Clearwater will be on April 15 and arrival in Cork will be on May 21. Food expenses and work aboard during the crossing would be shared, and no transport or pay provided. If you are interested, please drop me an email with a sailing resume and list of references. I have spent the last year repowering, rerigging, and refitting my beautiful two cabin 1999 Beneteau 461, Eda, in preparation.

Stephen Ippolito
is AT stephenippolito DOT com
stephenippolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 06:09   #2

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Atlantic Crossing - Clearwater, FL, USA to Cork, Ireland in t-minus three weeks

I dunno, man. Shared food expenses...

I get it when the plan is a leisurely cruise in the Bahamas or something.

But crossing the Atlantic can be challenging, hard work. You aren't paying for travel or that work, which is (sadly) the standard for such postings, but I think shared on-board food for a (planned) six-week passage is a bit much to ask.

All power to you if you've got 10 qualified applicants, or if you've done this more than I have and it's never been an issue, but I sure hope this doesn't become the new standard.

Also, since we're on the subject, you didn't mention the expenses associated with maintenance, fuel, repair, and marina fees, any of which can be considerable.

Normally for a passage like this, as with food, all that is the responsibility of the captain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you ought to specify all that.

If you're on a tight budget, and don't mind a suggestion, you could offer to pay for the essentials for three squares, and if someone wants to make beef Wellington, well, then, that's on them.

Sorry for the intrusion! Fair winds!
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 06:57   #3

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Atlantic Crossing - Clearwater, FL, USA to Cork, Ireland in t-minus three weeks

Sounds kinda early in the season to be out there.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 08:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Atlantic Crossing - Clearwater, FL, USA to Cork, Ireland in t-minus three weeks

Dunno.. I've done the trip in February, mind I did stay South of Bermuda and approached the Azores from the SSW.. never understand this Bermuda obsession.
No serious weather.. more light and variable winds for the last 600nm.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 00:27   #5

Boat: Beneteau 461

Thanks for the perspectives. I have crossed the Atlantic on this route before on my Beneteau 411, and I am conforming to Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes timing for AN112, AN125, and AN131. I would, of course, cover operating and dockage expenses for Eda. In the past, provisioning together, so everyone likes the menu, and then splitting the bill worked out well, but I would be willing to discuss alternatives, if necessary. I picked up a great crew here on short notice in the past, under similar arrangements.
stephenippolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 14:02   #6

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I dunno, man. Shared food expenses...

I get it when the plan is a leisurely cruise in the Bahamas or something.

But crossing the Atlantic can be challenging, hard work. You aren't paying for travel or that work, which is (sadly) the standard for such postings, but I think shared on-board food for a (planned) six-week passage is a bit much to ask.

All power to you if you've got 10 qualified applicants, or if you've done this more than I have and it's never been an issue, but I sure hope this doesn't become the new standard.

Also, since we're on the subject, you didn't mention the expenses associated with maintenance, fuel, repair, and marina fees, any of which can be considerable.

Normally for a passage like this, as with food, all that is the responsibility of the captain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you ought to specify all that.

If you're on a tight budget, and don't mind a suggestion, you could offer to pay for the essentials for three squares, and if someone wants to make beef Wellington, well, then, that's on them.

Sorry for the intrusion! Fair winds!
My trips are much shorter - out and back to Bermuda from CT, USA or Newport, RI, USA. So 6 days out/6 back. I cover all expenses, including food and one excellent dinner (& alcohol too) upon arrival. two days on island then home...Group food shopping on Bermuda to ensure all crew is well fed & predilections are catered to...You could try OPO, offshore passage opportunities. I found good crew there for upcoming newport 2 bermuda race. I am not affiliated, just satisfied user. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2024, 21:07   #7

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
My trips are much shorter - out and back to Bermuda from CT, USA or Newport, RI, USA. So 6 days out/6 back. I cover all expenses, including food and one excellent dinner (& alcohol too) upon arrival. two days on island then home...Group food shopping on Bermuda to ensure all crew is well fed & predilections are catered to...You could try OPO, offshore passage opportunities. I found good crew there for upcoming newport 2 bermuda race. I am not affiliated, just satisfied user. thnks
Thanks, Hoodsail.

In my post, I wasn't talking about me, but I do appreciate your sending that advice, as I appreciate your arrangements for crew.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 06:43   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Food expenses and work aboard during the crossing would be shared, and no transport or pay provided. " Steven Ippolito

So, Steve,
Unknown captain, unknown boat(condition), and pay your own way on a +/- 30 day offshore crossing of the Atlantic? Good luck finding a competent sailor and not just a tourist looking for adventure.
Rognvald
Old 30-03-2024, 11:23   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenippolito View Post
Thanks for the perspectives. I have crossed the Atlantic on this route before on my Beneteau 411, and I am conforming to Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes timing for AN112, AN125, and AN131. I would, of course, cover operating and dockage expenses for Eda. In the past, provisioning together, so everyone likes the menu, and then splitting the bill worked out well, but I would be willing to discuss alternatives, if necessary. I picked up a great crew here on short notice in the past, under similar arrangements.
Very strange. My Jimmy Cornell World Cruising routes says

Best time:
AN112 - May, June
AN125 - May, June
An131 - June, July

Of course maybe your version says something else - but conventional wisdom is not to set sail from Bermuda until end May/beginning of June.

I, personally would not make that passage at the time you are specifying but - to each his own

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, Ireland, USA, water