Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: A cool post?
yes 40 95.24%
no 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44   #91

Boat: 1980 Pacific Seacraft 31 Mariah
Re: Sumatran Cruise

Hey Folks, I am having trouble getting a reply from the sites listed on Noonsite to get a CAIT for Indonesian waters. Would you possibly be able to recommend someone for me. Would like to have it done by mid June. Thanks, Dingoman
dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 13:50   #92

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Here is all the information for getting a CAIT from my agent in Jakarta, highly recommended, her name is Lytha. You really do need a sponsor letter for your visa and a new one each time you go to extend your visa in Sumatra, addressed to the immigration office that you will be attending. Lytha will email you a new letter each time, free of charge. But, with the sketchy email communications in the banyaks and mentawis it can be difficult getting these letters on time!
Happy cruising from Keith.

[Indonesia_cruising_permit_and]
Dear Keith,

Thank you for your e-mail of February 15, 2010. Even you might known already the documents needed, I scan and e-mail it to you anyhow.

Please be more specific about the itinerary, say ports of call.

Yes you need a sponsor letter from me to request Social and Cultural Visit Visa. You will be given 60 days visa in Penang and may be prolonged in Indonesia, every 30 days until the total stay of 6 months.

You can scan and e-mail all the documents needed and transfer the funds through Western Union to;

Arlytha Alda
Apartment Semanggi # 2415,
Jalan Gatot Subroto Kav. 53B,
Jakarta 10260.

Please inform me of the Money Transfer Control Number ( MTCN ) from Western Union after transferring to collect the funds at my end.

When you are back in Penang, inform me of your address that I can courier the original CAIT and sponsor letter to you. It takes 3 days to reach you.

Total cost become : CAIT Rp 1.850.000,-. Sponsor letter Rp 350.000,- and courier to Penang Rp 175.000,-. Total is Rp 2.375.000,- This is for your first 3 months CAIT. After sailing in Indonesia, you may contact me, about 45 days before the invalidity of your first CAIT to extent with the second 3 months CAIT. This second 3 months CAIT will cost you Rp 1.500.000,- only.

Concerning the bond, now it is not again an issue as we all are a waiting for the new regulation.
Do not worry about it.

If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to contact me. Looking forward to receiving of your confirmation.

Best Regards,
Lytha.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:48   #93

Boat: 1980 Pacific Seacraft 31 Mariah

Hi Keith,
Thanks for that, but I don't see a contact email adress or something like that for Lythia? Best, Dingoman
dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 14:27   #94

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01

Ahoy dingoman.
Try cait@indo.net.id
All in the letterhead.
Good luck mate.
Old 08-03-2011, 19:37   #95

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Keith

Like the new boat! Just watch there aren’t no lugers hidden behind any panels. (Just worried the clip might fall out and cause corrosion!).

Hope to hear about some serious overhead tubes during the oncoming season. Myself, it is just a slow process of getting out of here and making my way up the coast. If anything I would like to explore New Ireland, which tends to have waves in the Indo off-season.
Old 09-03-2011, 00:48   #96

Ahoy Shane, great to hear that you have cast yourself adrift.
Surf has been very good for 3 days at Margaret River, while I wait for the deep vein thrombosis to clear in my left leg, from flying too much!
I return to Langkawi in about 10 days to take possession of the new alloy yacht.
She went on the hard stand at Kuah yesterday, photos taken this morning, on the hard stand.
I am very interested in your plans for New Ireland, please keep me posted?
I have not done a detailed survey of all the voids in the yacht, so I will keep an eye out for lugers and bullets! Funilly enough, they found an old rusty one in the surf at the mouth of the cave at the bluff in western australia, where all the surfies used to sleep when surfing the mighty left hand barrels of the Bluff, 110kms north of Carnarvan. It was abondoned there by the crew of the kormorant that sank the sydney offshore from there in the second world war. the crew were arrested by local station owners and transported to Carnarvan by bullock wagon. They came ashore in life boats when their ship was destroyed in the battle.
Cheers from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port side on the hard.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	24825   Click image for larger version

Name:	starboard side on the hard.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	24826  

Name:	stern on the hard.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	24827   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	24828  

Old 09-03-2011, 19:10   #97

Keith,

That is sure one nice yacht. I really like the longer keel for such a modern design. One day I wouldn’t mind graduating to something of a similar size. For the moment though mine is nice and simple and after the dollars I have sunk into her she needs to head too sea looking for surf. I am also glad you took my corrosion comments tongue in cheek; should see what cop having a steel boat. Still, that was one interesting story.

The surf over here has been so average this summer. All that cyclone destruction up Queensland and all we got was a couple of days of decent overhead surf. Another reason I really need to get the boat together and head north for adventure. I think half the reason I am looking at New Ireland is because it is a fresh frontier. Looking on Google Earth there are some incredible breaks on the outside islands that probably hardly get ridden. In comparison, everyone I know hits Indo. Either way, thanks for the inspiration.
Old 27-04-2011, 18:26   #98

ahoy, back in the old Ao Charon bay, checked into thailand after a 2 week cruise up from Langkawi, had some great scuba diving with my dausghter clarire. She has flown back to work in Margaret river.
Now sorting out a new altenater and water pump! Plus my teeth again!
Really quite cool here at the mooring and the new led lights along the jetty put on a show like a theme park at night!
Back to Langkawi in 3 weeks and get all the stuff for Sumatra for 6 months of cruising and surfing!
Fair winds from Keith.
Old 28-04-2011, 19:50   #99

Living the hard life again?????

As I have been working on the boat my scales are starting to dry. Just hoping to get a surf Monday or Tuesday after fitting in a measurement session for some new sails. There's one big low expected to form off the coast and at the moment the swell is a messy 3 metres or so. If it sticks to recent patterns it will drop from 5 metres and messy to next too nothing overnight!
Old 28-04-2011, 22:32   #100

Cheers shane, well you know how it goes, after 14 days at sea all the hidden issues with the yacht are rearing their ugly heads like gorgon snakes!!??

It is disconcerting that nearly everything to do with motor and recent wiring work is very shoddy and is broken or fails when used.

But this is nothing that time and money and effort cannot fix??

Those damned crimped connections should be banned unless put on with a rachet crimping tool and thebig ones soldered as well, huge problem!

But whingeing aside..... she has an incredible hull and sails and rigging is all first class, she looks beautiful as well, and the new davits and crane are a treat for single handing. The anchoring is all I gcould desire, self stowing 90 metres of 10 mm cahain with forward and cockpit remotes, with a 32 beugul anchor, and a back up anchor on the stern on an anchor roller system.

Saloon and cabins are just perfect!!! Like a luxury condo.

But the motor and related systems have been let go and are very tired.

Kero stove has a few issues.

Been big surf in margaret river, looking forward to some close out right hand barrels in the banyaks soon???

Hope that u get some good waves over east?
Cheers mate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	claires april thailand 093.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	26714   Click image for larger version

Name:	claires april thailand 192.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	26715  

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	26716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	26717  

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	26718   Click image for larger version

Name:	cliares april thailand pics 263.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	26719  

Old 28-04-2011, 23:12   #101

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Ahoy Keith

Glad to know you are back in the region. Just flew out of HKT or I would suggest a beer. Next time will let you know.

M
Old 28-04-2011, 23:13   #102

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Hi Keith,

Good to hear you had a good trip diving in Thailand. Looking relaxed and eating well from your photos.

How good is diving there in Thailand ?? I would expect it may be better in the more isolated areas of Indonesia.

Sorry to hear of electrical/motor problems though all else with new vessel sounds good. I always look at electrical wiring in the streets as an example of asian electrical standards. A recent aus boat mag was reviewing repairs at yards in Thailand and drew that example with some photos of boat spagetti jobs. How you can sort it out OK.

Just got back from Peru to look at a boatbuilder with a couple of mates who are about to build 46 ft cruising cats. Looks like Ballotta catamarans will do the job very well and be building our vessels.

Cheers

John

I am still about 2-2 1/2 from joining the retired cruising set. now to sell my farm.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 17:21   #103

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Hey Keith hope I am back in Thailand in time to catch up with you and have a yarn. My boat Wildflower in Moored in Chalong at the moment Canoe stern sloop. Still in Oz with my little girl her birthday is the 6th of May and I will head back after that to get sorted to head south for the surf. Cheers Alex
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 17:47   #104

Ahoy captain Morgan, all the best to you mate and I look forward to meeting you and swapping a few yarns?
Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cliares april thailand pics 148.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	26817  
Old 30-04-2011, 18:05   #105

Ahoy Alex, I will look for Wildflower!
Enjoy Australia and the birthday party?
I should still be here till late May, the way things are going..............
Slowly, slowly, a step at a time!
Fair winds from Keith.