Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 23:41   #1

Seychelles to Richardsbay

I would like to know best time of the year to sail this route and what places is worth while to visit along the way.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
namdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 12:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Re: Seychelles to Richardsbay

Namdes, cyclone season in the SW Indian Ocean is roughly between 15 November to 15 May. So, be in Richards Bay by 15 November. The only stop I would make is Nosy Be in Madagascar and then all the way to RB. It is normally good winds to Nosy Be and then quite a bit of motoring down to RB - there is a good current to assist you. Make sure you have a number of 25 litre fuel drums to be able to ferry fuel from the garage in Hellville down to the harbour and then dinghy to your boat - you also would need a couple of drums for potable water. Hellville is an interesting place but you do not want to linger there too long. I have stopped once in Inhambane (Moz) to take shelter from a southerly storm, but it is quite a tricky entrance over the bar and into the estuary.

Just a question. What flag will you be sailing under? If you want to chat about the trip, I have sent you a PM with my contact details. John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 21:52   #3

Boat: Van de stadt norman 40

Hi
I agree with the above post in terms of the months but I would definetly hop down the Madagscar coast too at least the barren islands before heading across to Richards bay . Some fantastic sailing and some interesting little islands .
The trip from Seychelles to Madagscar is not that easy , often hard on the wind with a few squalls , usually strong current and winds at the northern tip of Madagscar , usually free off a bit and try and make Ill De Gloriuse and then aim for Nose Be.
Windmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 22:23   #4

Thank you John and windmagic helps me a lot will pm you John tks again.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
namdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Namdes, cyclone season in the SW Indian Ocean is roughly between 15 November to 15 May. So, be in Richards Bay by 15 November. The only stop I would make is Nosy Be in Madagascar and then all the way to RB. It is normally good winds to Nosy Be and then quite a bit of motoring down to RB - there is a good current to assist you. Make sure you have a number of 25 litre fuel drums to be able to ferry fuel from the garage in Hellville down to the harbour and then dinghy to your boat - you also would need a couple of drums for potable water. Hellville is an interesting place but you do not want to linger there too long. I have stopped once in Inhambane (Moz) to take shelter from a southerly storm, but it is quite a tricky entrance over the bar and into the estuary.

Just a question. What flag will you be sailing under? If you want to chat about the trip, I have sent you a PM with my contact details. John.
Hi guys I know this is an old post.

But we are moving a power catamaran down from Victoria to Mayotte and down to richards bay. I would like to find out if there are any particular routes best to take and any thing that we stands out that we should be aware off.
Is it worth going straight to Beira? Are there any other areas to get fuel other than Mayotte.

Going to Nosey be will add another 800nm so looking to avoid that obviously to keep the fuel costs down.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
shagnrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 05:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, shagnrelease.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 10:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

I have no idea where you get an additional 800nm onto you trip if you stop at Nosy Be. Anyway, you do not want to stop in Nosy Be as there is no fuel jetty – you need to fill cans at the local fuel station in town and then get a taxi to cart you back to the landing and then dinghy it back to your boat. You can either stop in Mayotte or head via La Port in Reunion and then route south of Madagascar to Richards Bay. Normally, the delivery skippers carry sufficient drums of fuel on board and do the entire delivery with no stop. You just need to know where to find the current and run on one engine at a time and swopping engines at each watch change.
Old 07-03-2017, 13:33   #8

Thank you for your reply. We are planning to head to mayotte first and then down to Mozambique, possibly spend some time at Bazaruto.

The plan was to leave around end of March, however I see the seasonal weather conditions are in full flight. Would we be nearing the tail end of the season then.

Also has there been any mention of pirate activity in the area of late? Are there still naval vessels in the areas which we can communicate with??

Is that even a done thing?
Old 07-03-2017, 20:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

There have been no confirmed acts of piracy in the channel for a couple of years. There is a French naval presence and occasionally a South African patrol vessel running up and down the coast.

I would really hang on in Victoria as the cyclone season is in full swing with Cyclone Enawo now causing quite a bit of distruction. The difference between the various cyclone regions is that the SW Indian Ocean ones are really unpredictable and can go in directions least thought feasible. Wait and monitor through this month (March) before making any decision.

Have a good trip - I am busy delivering Cape Town to Durban and it has been a slow trip waiting for the right weather Windows.
Old 07-03-2017, 21:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, shagnrelease.
Thank you sir.
Old 07-03-2017, 22:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
There have been no confirmed acts of piracy in the channel for a couple of years. There is a French naval presence and occasionally a South African patrol vessel running up and down the coast.

I would really hang on in Victoria as the cyclone season is in full swing with Cyclone Enawo now causing quite a bit of distruction. The difference between the various cyclone regions is that the SW Indian Ocean ones are really unpredictable and can go in directions least thought feasible. Wait and monitor through this month (March) before making any decision.

Have a good trip - I am busy delivering Cape Town to Durban and it has been a slow trip waiting for the right weather Windows.
Thank you very much, we plan to get over there around the 23rd March and spend time on the vessel etc so will hang in Victoria and monitor what's happening.

Have a good trip from the cape.

Tags
Seychelles