Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 09:40   #16
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
thanks laidback - could have sworn I got one in Langkawi in Kuah but I must be mistaken. Sorry for the bum steer.

..an "on arrival" visa can be extended up to a total of 60 days. 30 days at the start and two 15 day extensions. it is and worth your while to try to get a visa before entering if you want a longer stay.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 19:53   #17

Hi guys,
No probs!

Are you guys water dragons from Kiwistan?
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:44   #18

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Keith,

Just a thought, if you are at least 50 years old and have 800,000 Baht in the bank you can apply for a "Non-immigrant visa, type A-O" which is good for 12 months with 90 days given on entry. If you are not 50 yet, you can marry someone who is. Older chicks rule.

Best of luck,
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 14:34   #19
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nope. We owned Tosca a 75 year old wooden gaff rigged ketch. Kept it out at whatcha ma jigger (cant remember the name) by the floating restuarant. Next to the crazy french couples zebra trimaran thingy. Havent had my boat there since '03ish and now own a different boat. Seriously miss Langkawi.

We have some friends still there though - maybe you ahve seen them around. They are a lovely South African Couple - Kyle and Tayna and their two girls. Boatless at the moment since they left theirs in Cape Town

Old 30-12-2009, 16:27   #20

Thought Taniwha was a Maori word - but it could be a Sintu word from Africa, meaning "we did feel that".
Old 30-12-2009, 17:36   #21

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy Mike, I am an ancient 59 year old with heaps of cash in australian banks! how much is that bhat in AUD, approximately?
I believe that the Malaysians do the same thing?
I will be onboard in 8 days, back at Rebak Marina, keen to head up to Thailand for cruising and scuba diving.

I saw in noonsite that sometimes there is a 20,000 bhat bond required for crew members!

Cheers from Keith.
Old 30-12-2009, 19:06   #22

Live rates at 2009.12.31 03:01:02 UTC
( The THB rate shown below is the international rate. Rates used within Thailand may vary.)
800,000.00 THB = 26,772.93 AUD
Thailand Baht Australia Dollars
1 THB = 0.0334662 AUD 1 AUD = 29.8809 THB
-------------
A bond of 20,000 may be asked for CREW - this to be posted at a Bank - to be recovered when the crew departs Thailand.
Don't think it applies to PASSENGERS
Old 31-12-2009, 01:41   #23

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Hi Laidback.
So, if I get the Thai visa in Malaysia, before sailing to Thailand, I avoid the 20,000 bond, and the crew as well, plus we get a 60 day visa? Seems like the go?
Keith.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:27   #24

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
We cleared into Thailand on 19 Dec and were told that there is currently no bond charged. You would only pay a bond if you (and crew) were leaving the boat in Thailand.
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33   #25

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
Hey Laidback.... you're right, Taniwha is a Maori word from the Waikato district...
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:45   #26

Hi, what about entering Indo waters from Malaysia, over the NW coast of Sumatra. would a CAIT and social visa, 60 days be satisfactory? Best to get one from Rachel in rebak Marina? Does anyone have recent first hand knowledge of the situation? Clear in through Sibolga.
Happy new year from Keith
Old 08-01-2010, 18:12   #27
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Thought Taniwha was a Maori word - but it could be a Sintu word from Africa, meaning "we did feel that".
Sorry Laidback, didnt catch the "water dragon" reference thought you were refering to a boat in langkawi, duh.

Yes it is the Maori word and besides being the sea serpents that protect the maori tribes it also means "all things that are good come from the sea". We are not kiwi's tho - just inherited the name when we bought the boat and liked it so we kept it

Old 10-01-2010, 00:02   #28

Back in Langkawi and it's fantastic!

Hi guys, been back onboard Eloise in rebak Marina, for 1 day now, had a 12 hour sail with good SE winds, the boat is fine! Will do a mini re-fit and then head off to Thailand.
Keith.
Old 11-01-2010, 00:11   #29

Boat: Vagabond 42
Best way is a 2 month, single entry visa from a Thai consulate if you are out of your home country, ie Penang if you are already in Langkawi. If you are in your country of origin a multiple entry 'O' visa for a year might be a good option.

Currently, the Thais are not too happy at people taking more than 5 days to get from the Malaysian border to Phuket but checking in at Satun, Katang or Krabi are also options, not so convenient but much more relaxed and friendly.

Trying to check in and out from different ports will cause no end of complications, so unless you plan to visit Mayanmar (very expensive with mandatory Burmese pilot, etc.,) best keep things simple and check out where you check in.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyslave View Post
If you are in your country of origin a multiple entry 'O' visa for a year might be a good option.
Unfortunately the 'The Non Immigrant multiple entry "O" visa' is NOT available to tourists or visiting yachts.

Tags
Thailand