Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 12:45   #1

South Pacific

i flew into the Philippines 3 times in the past and want to go again. But I do want to go by boat the next time. On the 3rd trip I lived there for 10 months and loved it.

But the next time I want to do more, and use the Philippines as a Base to start many trips. 1 I like to travel to the Islands which WWII was fought on. Some I know I would not be allowed to land but at least get to see it shores. (Imo Jima for sure). Then travel to other locations as well.

I have visited one Island in Alaska (Kiska Island) and was allowed to explore it. But then I was in the service
Semper Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 12:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: South Pacific

you might want to get yourself a map......all the places you mentioned are in the north pacific .
the south pacific is bigger than the north pacific and not somewhere you would want to get lost in.............and indeed they still found Japanese troops hiding out on islands many years after the war ended ,not knowing who had won...
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 13:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you might want to get yourself a map......all the places you mentioned are in the north pacific .
the south pacific is bigger than the north pacific and not somewhere you would want to get lost in.............and indeed they still found Japanese troops hiding out on islands many years after the war ended ,not knowing who had won...
I went to the Philippines a month or 2 after they found one there and they found one a few months later also.

I would never travel without a chart of some sort, and I was Qualified QMOW (Navigator) in the Coast Guard. Semper Paratus is the USCG Guide means Always Ready.

Also when I do get me a Boat part of my wants on it is a large fuel tanks. I want a long range Vessel, and travel half the distance and refuel. And what I seen I can make it to the Philippines at 2500 nm a pop.
Old 16-03-2016, 13:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
I went to the Philippines a month or 2 after they found one there and they found one a few months later also.

I would never travel without a chart of some sort, and I was Qualified QMOW (Navigator) in the Coast Guard. Semper Paratus is the USCG Guide means Always Ready.

Also when I do get me a Boat part of my wants on it is a large fuel tanks. I want a long range Vessel, and travel half the distance and refuel. And what I seen I can make it to the Philippines at 2500 nm a pop.
what you really want is something like a catamaran with shallow draft for that region,preferably with sails as fuel stops are few and far between.

shallow draft will allow you to get into many of the lagoons where the war junk is still located on the beaches rusting away.

papua new guinea and the rabul peninsula have some great stuff lying around as do most of the federated states of Micronesia islands and Kiribati.
Old 16-03-2016, 14:21   #5

Quote:
what you really want is something like a catamaran with shallow draft for that region,preferably with sails as fuel stops are few and far between.

shallow draft will allow you to get into many of the lagoons where the war junk is still located on the beaches rusting away.

papua new guinea and the rabul peninsula have some great stuff lying around as do most of the federated states of Micronesia islands and Kiribati.
Unfortunately Sailing Vessels would be an Enemy to me. It would cause me much pain. I have to be careful in what I do or how I do it. Yes I am running chances but I do even on dry ground. I am not one to sit back and let life pass me by.

Yes I seen some via Youtube and seen things like that on Kiska when I was there during my time in the Coast Guard.
Old 16-03-2016, 14:21   #6

Quote:

All very true. We spent a year in the Marshalls and it was full of WW2 items, planes,subs,guns of every type, quite cool actually.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
All very true. We spent a year in the Marshalls and it was full of WW2 items, planes,subs,guns of every type, quite cool actually.
Why I want to do this Travel. Lot to learn that can not from books or other means
Old 16-03-2016, 14:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Why I want to do this Travel. Lot to learn that can not from books or other means
if you want to travel to see ww2 war junk I can highly recommend Normandy in france where just about every town near the D-day landing beaches has museums ,some of them in ww2 Nazi bunkers packed with german and allied equipment and ordanance mostly in perfect condition
Old 16-03-2016, 14:41   #9

Quote:
if you want to travel to see ww2 war junk I can highly recommend Normandy in france where just about every town near the D-day landing beaches has museums ,some of them in ww2 Nazi bunkers packed with german and allied equipment and ordanance mostly in perfect condition
Thant maybe another adventure but I always been more into the War in the Pacific. Plus I have fallen in love with the Philippines But thanks for the suggestion
Old 16-03-2016, 14:42   #10

Quote:
I get it because I'm a bit of a WW2 buff myself. In the Marshalls on the outlying Atolls they are as they we left in the war. So you can find gun placements all over the place, live ammo and crashed planes along with pillboxes and other buildings. The areas are full of bomb craters and the concrete buildings are covered with 50 cal machine gun hits. If you want pm me your email address I'll send you a few pics to wet your appetite. We were the first Canadian boat in over 25 years to be approved to enter Kwaj in the Marshalls where the USA is doing their Star War project. Had to be sponsored by one of the local techs plus the normal FBI and CIA checkouts that took 6 weeks but what a cool place that was. Radars so big and powerful they needed their own power houses to feed them, something you'd associate with a small city. The Marshalls are spread out over 750,000 Sq miles and when we visited they had never seen more than about 25 boats in any given year. That was 13 years ago so I'm sure some changes can be expected. Cheers, R
H
Old 16-03-2016, 14:54   #11

Quote:
I get it because I'm a bit of a WW2 buff myself. In the Marshalls on the outlying Atolls they are as they we left in the war. So you can find gun placements all over the place, live ammo and crashed planes along with pillboxes and other buildings. The areas are full of bomb craters and the concrete buildings are covered with 50 cal machine gun hits. If you want pm me your email address I'll send you a few pics to wet your appetite. We were the first Canadian boat in over 25 years to be approved to enter Kwaj in the Marshalls where the USA is doing their Star War project. Had to be sponsored by one of the local techs plus the normal FBI and CIA checkouts that took 6 weeks but what a cool place that was. Radars so big and powerful they needed their own power houses to feed them, something you'd associate with a small city. The Marshalls are spread out over 750,000 Sq miles and when we visited they had never seen more than about 25 boats in any given year. That was 13 years ago so I'm sure some changes can be expected. Cheers, R
H
I tried to mail you but got this back Due to abuse by spammers, new members are not allowed to send links in their private messages until they have become trusted members.
Old 16-03-2016, 15:02   #12

I guess you need a certain number of posts but whatever the case when you can drop me a PM. I will be away from the Internet for a week or so beginning this coming weekend as we have some ground to cover or ocean, whatever. If you are able to pm me prior to this weekend I have good Internet here and can send pics but down the line I'm not so sure.
Old 16-03-2016, 15:04   #13

Ok Robert will do
Old 16-03-2016, 15:06   #14

Quote:
I guess you need a certain number of posts but whatever the case when you can drop me a PM. I will be away from the Internet for a week or so beginning this coming weekend as we have some ground to cover or ocean, whatever. If you are able to pm me prior to this weekend I have good Internet here and can send pics but down the line I'm not so sure.
Guess made it already now.. message sent
Old 16-03-2016, 15:09   #15

Got it and will send pics, Cheers, Robert

Tags
south pacific