Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 17:47   #1

Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

Getting ready to help a friend move his Island Packet 40 from Anacortes, WA into the Sea of Cortez beginning mid September on a casual schedule. Hearing some grumblings about pirates both in the Pacific along the Baja California and Baja California Sur coasts and in the Sea of Cortez.

I haven't found anything to worry about searching the internet and this forum. Any thoughts from your experience?

There is a somewhat dated (December 2016) travel warning from the State Department, but only addresses on-land issues.

Thanks
prkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 17:56   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

If there were such a thing they would not be pirates, they would be poor fishermen.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 18:24   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Check out www.noonsite.com for any reports.

Also, there are a few members here on or familiar w the Pacific coast of Mexico.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 19:12   #4

The HaHa takes place soon. Hundreds of boats with never a problem over many years. Surprised your buddy isn't aware of this: Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Important Dates
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:25   #5

Boat: Camano 41

We have done this coast, alone and casually with other boaters. Shrimpers may hail you wanting alcohol for shrimp, which is not a great idea. We visited schools, had diesel delivered in tanks we provided, bought diesel from the inter costal and island freighter(metered) , always stayed in touch with the southbound and other SSB/ham nets, and never once heard of any incident with any vessel or crew. The HaHa as mentioned is a good option, but you also mentioned a casual trip. Bueno Suerte.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:36   #6

Boat: Columbia 10.7

I've been playing in the Sea of Cortez for about 15 years and have never heard anything about piracy. Some cases of theft, but that's about it. I think once you're here you'll see for self and will love it and the people.

I wouldn't give you two cents for any info. the State Dept. puts out.

Have a safe trip South.
sloopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:43   #7

Boat: Catalina

With two winters experience boating in the Sea of C., I have to say the majority of Mexicans are wonderful people. They are not out to steal from you or harm you. Many marinas have good security programs. If you choose to anchor out, which I do often, you might hear of problems with theft, expecially if you are anchored near a large town or city. I had a dingy and motor stollen once, but that was in Canada, where I live, and where I usually feel very safe. While bringing my boat down the west coast of America I also felt very safe. You have to take the normal precautions against theft no matter where you live. Don't leave your valuables on deck, unattended, lock up your dingy when possible, or put it on deck. I feel just as safe in Mexico as I do anywhere else I've been. You might have to pay the Gringo price in some stores or street shops, and you might run into the "sorry I can't make change for that bill" ploy. But when I feel I've been taken, I just reduce the size of my tip.
atkinsoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:40   #8

Boat: Islander 36

Sailed into Baja 2008. Sailed out 2014. I miss the security I enjoyed in Mexico over the lack of security here in Hawaii.

When you find the place that is 100% secure, there will be no other humans there.

Apply common sense wherever you go, and don't let fear run your life.
Old 19-08-2017, 11:51   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkenyon View Post
Getting ready to help a friend move his Island Packet 40 from Anacortes, WA into the Sea of Cortez beginning mid September on a casual schedule. Hearing some grumblings about pirates both in the Pacific along the Baja California and Baja California Sur coasts and in the Sea of Cortez.

I haven't found anything to worry about searching the internet and this forum. Any thoughts from your experience?

There is a somewhat dated (December 2016) travel warning from the State Department, but only addresses on-land issues.

Thanks
Where are you hearing these "grumblings" from?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:26   #10

Recent (August 7) shooting/violence in San Jose del Cabo

I'm surprised Latitude 38/Baja Haha hasn't addressed this yet.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 15:15   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Recent (August 7) shooting/violence in San Jose del Cabo

I'm surprised Latitude 38/Baja Haha hasn't addressed this yet.
Don
how can they address something that doesnot happen?
listen to lies and rumors which btw are stories based on lies and inventions, aka fake news, or listen to those who are here.
you will find most mainstream media to be bigoted and filled with misinformation and disinformation.
believe em if you wish . we are happy here and very secure, i have not needed to lock my boat since i left san diego, 2011.
if you are nervous about sailing mexico, stay away.no one twisting your arm.
go to hawaii instead, or guam. guam is good.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 16:13   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Perhaps it will make the 5 cruise ships on some days, go somewhere else. Cabo is completly nuts, Let the drug wars chase off all the stupid gringos for a while.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 16:48   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Perhaps it will make the 5 cruise ships on some days, go somewhere else. Cabo is completly nuts, Let the drug wars chase off all the stupid gringos for a while.
My Step Son arrived here today from Florida.He was amazed that we took fuel from a fuel station then went in and paid for it!!!!! Don't you pay in advance? No we trust people in the UK. And in lots of other places in the world.!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 17:32   #14

The grumblings were second hand--from a prospective crew mate for the journey.

Just doing some due diligence on the rumors. Doesn't seem to be at all concerning.
prkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 18:29   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Just a story from some years back:Friends returned to the Bay area from a few years of pleasant and safe cruising in Mexico. Very first night "home" they were mugged and robbed coming out of a restaurant in Point Richmond, around 2030 hrs, not fully dark yet.

They went back to Mexico to be safer...

Dunno if that still applies, but I bet that once away from big population centers it still does.

Jim

Tags
piracy, safety, water