Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 19:01   #16

Re: Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Just a story from some years back:Friends returned to the Bay area from a few years of pleasant and safe cruising in Mexico. Very first night "home" they were mugged and robbed coming out of a restaurant in Point Richmond, around 2030 hrs, not fully dark yet.

They went back to Mexico to be safer...

Dunno if that still applies, but I bet that once away from big population centers it still does.

Jim
I'd question that story. Lived in Pt. Richmond. Most the cops hang out there to get away from the action in the rest of Richmond. Really safe place.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 20:32   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
I'd question that story. Lived in Pt. Richmond. Most the cops hang out there to get away from the action in the rest of Richmond. Really safe place.
You are free to question. This does not mean that the story is false, for it is not. And being safer than the rest of Richmond does not make it a very safe place.

If you would step down from your defense of your old home, you might realize that the point of the story was that even in areas thought to be a "really safe place" in the USA, bad things happen to good people, perhaps at a higher rate than in evil Mexico.

Jim
Old 19-08-2017, 20:49   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
go to hawaii instead, or guam. guam is good.
How can you possibly endorse going to Guam?
Don't you realize it's going to capsize with too many US troops there?
A congress critter (Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) SAID SO !!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 21:39   #19

I've been up and down from Channel Islands -> Ensenada many times.. no issues..

I generally stay further off shore, away from anchored tankers, et al.

BUT... just May 20, 2017, we were all stunned when a trawler pulled in next to us and reported being approached by a small panga and 3 men... and the panga pulled a gun on them. It appeared to be the first time the robbers/pirates did this.. Took all cell phones, cash... and left... (could have taken much more.. and being thorough, but they were still fresh, nervous and ....

The trawler called the Coast Guard, and the mexican navy came en force... very professional yet wanted to insure this incident did not happen again.

The pirates scored a lot of money (in range of several thousand) and 4 mobile phones.

BUT.. it was NEAR shore.. (within 3 miles, by Rosarito)

hopefully staying further off shore there shall not be a problem.

Just do not let small launches approach.... (first report of incident is here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/184298-piracy-in-50-nm-south-of-san-diego-ca-usa/ )

The professional captain said he knew Richard from Latitude and was going to write.. but no one ever saw a report in latitude....

Since then it has been quiet...

We all believe this was an isolated incident and a crime of opportunity...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 22:44   #20

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkenyon View Post
Getting ready to help a friend move his Island Packet 40 from Anacortes, WA into the Sea of Cortez beginning mid September on a casual schedule. Hearing some grumblings about pirates both in the Pacific along the Baja California and Baja California Sur coasts and in the Sea of Cortez.

I haven't found anything to worry about searching the internet and this forum. Any thoughts from your experience?

There is a somewhat dated (December 2016) travel warning from the State Department, but only addresses on-land issues.

Thanks
You need to prioritize your concerns/fears. I'll start ya off with what I believe should be the first one, assuming the boat and crew are seaworthy, IT'S HURRICANE SEASON and Sept. has had some big ones !
Old 20-08-2017, 03:22   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You are free to question. This does not mean that the story is false, for it is not. And being safer than the rest of Richmond does not make it a very safe place.

If you would step down from your defense of your old home, you might realize that the point of the story was that even in areas thought to be a "really safe place" in the USA, bad things happen to good people, perhaps at a higher rate than in evil Mexico.

Jim
Only place Ive ever been robbed was in a nice upscale neighborhood in the USA...my gaurd was down because I just didnt expect it there. Bad stuff can happen anywhere.

By constrast, Ive lived in Guatemala for years and never had a problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 05:18   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
How can you possibly endorse going to Guam?
Don't you realize it's going to capsize with too many US troops there?
A congress critter (Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) SAID SO !!

That has always fascinated me, first he couldn't even get his size consistent, and you have to wonder, is anyone actually that stupid?

Being a former Georgia resident, it's embarrassing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 06:32   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

not only will it capsize, that little korean guy wants to blow it off the map.
all in all, with both capsizing and being blown to hellenback, they do have some intense chilis.
and they speak english. perfect place for cruising. could be interesting and exciting. folks are so concerned about being bored while cruising, might be a reasonable venue.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 06:32   #24

Quote:

listen to lies and rumors which btw are stories based on lies and inventions, aka fake news, or listen to those who are here.

you will find most mainstream media to be bigoted and filled with misinformation and disinformation.

Disinformation is false information spread deliberately to deceive.

With today's 24 hour news cycle, journalists have a difficult job, and occasionally make mistakes. When they do, they typically publish a correction. I've never known one to deliberately intend to deceive.

Everyone should get their news from multiple sources, as there can be biases, unintentional or otherwise, in reporting.

However, using the term "fake news" and maligning the "mainstream media" only aids those who benefit from increased distrust of journalists.

Those who benefit the most tend to be the powerful. We, the public, rely on journalists to monitor the powerful on our behalf.

I'll be climbing down off my soapbox now, and returning to cruising.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 06:59   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
Disinformation is false information spread deliberately to deceive.

With today's 24 hour news cycle, journalists have a difficult job, and occasionally make mistakes. When they do, they typically publish a correction. I've never known one to deliberately intend to deceive.

Everyone should get their news from multiple sources, as there can be biases, unintentional or otherwise, in reporting.

However, using the term "fake news" and maligning the "mainstream media" only aids those who benefit from increased distrust of journalists.

Those who benefit the most tend to be the powerful. We, the public, rely on journalists to monitor the powerful on our behalf.

I'll be climbing down off my soapbox now, and returning to cruising.
Well said!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 07:38   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

unfortunately the alleged news has a definite bias and is a manipulating medium. not worthy of attention.
so vacation in guam, as mexico is waaay too dangerous for you. especially when you pay attention to disinformation and sensationalized bs from the mainstream media.

to the report of piracy via panga near shore south of san diego--i ran the run between sd and ensenada many times with no issues. so have many others., if there was an issue, it was not heard of by mexican authorities nor other boaters, which is a very unusual situation. i doubt it happened.
pacific baja is a well travelled run and has yielded no reported pirates to date. there have been isolated incidents south of cabo corrientes when folks show their wealth and have experienced issues at anchor. i believe the average is 1 every 5 years.
i was robbed in mazatlans old harbor by a pair of gringos in a sailboat who stole my charts --i saw them leaving my boat as i walked from bus stop. other than that, no issues. i leave my boat open here and i am content with the safety here in mexico. the cruisers net is good for transmitting information on anything occurring to affect us here. i stay away from gringos in anchorages.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:48   #27

Quote:

<SNIP>

to the report of piracy via panga near shore south of san diego--i ran the run between sd and ensenada many times with no issues. so have many others., if there was an issue, it was not heard of by mexican authorities nor other boaters, which is a very unusual situation. i doubt it happened.
pacific baja is a well travelled run and has yielded no reported pirates to date. there have been isolated incidents south of cabo corrientes when folks show their wealth and have experienced issues at anchor. i believe the average is 1 every 5 years.
<SNIP>
so, zeehag, you are saying I am lying about this incident?

I also have done this route (albeit further offshore) many times... with no problems.. but this incident did happen. Like you, I have not heard of anything prior (or since). Hopefully it was an isolated incident, and shall not repeat. Even better is NOT to be close to shore.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That has always fascinated me, first he couldn't even get his size consistent, and you have to wonder, is anyone actually that stupid?

Being a former Georgia resident, it's embarrassing
I'm leaving for Guam tomorrow. I will report on any capsizing issues.

Old 20-08-2017, 09:16   #29

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I lived in Mexico for 3 years. Had more issues in Los Angeles and Lad Vegas. I can see "one off" issues near Rosarito as described but they are not systematic (like Somalia or Chicago)
Old 20-08-2017, 10:05   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I lived in Mexico for 3 years. Had more issues in Los Angeles and Lad Vegas. I can see "one off" issues near Rosarito as described but they are not systematic (like Somalia or Chicago)
Agreed. We all believe this was a 'one off' and probably due to fact that they were so close to shore.

As I mentioned, I have done the trip many times (and shall be doing it again in 3 weeks) and it was uneventful... (other then dolphins, whales, spectacular sunsets/sunrises .. the usual byproducts of sailing....).

I usually track to west of Islas Los Coronados (the islands to the west of border) due to less traffic... and better wind....

Tags
piracy, safety, water