Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2021, 08:30   #46

Re: Please talk me out of buying a sailboat in San Diego/Los Angeles

Yah, there are tons of boat options in MX and other surrounding areas.. Anything in the California area, especially SD, the prices seem delusional.. You can literally get a boat of better quality on the east coat and sail it to the other side with the money you saved and still have tons left over.. Seriously... It's silly..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 15:36   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Not to disagree with several of the above, but following is my experience having owned boats both in San Diego and Florida and having spent seasons in marinas in Ensenada, La Paz and Puerto Vallarta. Most marinas, both in the US and Mexico have weak wifi. In all three marinas in the above location I was with a number of folks who lived and worked from their boats. Each has a different charm. Ensenada during normal times, is easy to get back and forth to the US by getting a Sentri pass. I owned homes just south of the border and my average Sentri wait was 12 minutes. Ensenada is a bit more than an hour south of the border. They have a great deal of expertise in maintaining a repairing boats. Coral is the nicest, but Cruiseport is in town. I spent six months in La Paz at the Marina de La Paz. The couple next to me worked full time from their boat and commuted occasionally to Canada. Lots of good flights in and out. Ditto Puerto Vallarta. I don't remember which of the three I stayed at would hardwire an internet connection to your boat. I know the PV marina had the weakest connection, but all three had great wifi nearby (in PV the Yacht Club or the resort), in Ensenada the hotel and in La Paz the cruisers club. Although US cellular carriers work great I've heard of long term Mexico users being turned off by their carriers. There are two ways to avoid California sales tax and one should work for you. If the boat you are buying is in an LLC you buy the LLC and avoid sales tax. Any big brokerage dealer will know how to do it. As you plan on taking the boat to Mexico you can take "offshore delivery" and keep the boat in Mexico for a year. If you have major repairs or upgrades you can still bring it back to the states (although they have great yards in Mexico, too). While there are too many variables in boat prices to "prove" someone wrong, it was my experience that boat pricing in Florida and California were comparable. For giggles I just looked at 40-42 foot Beneteaus, model years 2000-2004 for sale in California and Florida. The average price was within $1,000 of each other. Again, too many variables to make too much of a comparison, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a boat in California.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 02:20   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Payed delivery ($5K?)from very south would be deal killer. But if I stay on contract for another 6 months I would not worry about extra $5K and sitting in hotel and working while my boat gets delivered, might be feasible option.
Another option my boat can be hauled to Puerto Penasco by Cobrales boatyard - I can do ownership transfer on the way in AZ with proper legal precautions for the seller.
Some great info in this thread. So, did you ever get the boat?
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 08:05   #49

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Yes. Got her one year ago in San Carlos Tayana 37 PH. Very, very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
Some great info in this thread. So, did you ever get the boat?
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 09:59   #50

Boat: Lagoon 42

[QUOTE=Zzmeyer;If you have major repairs or upgrades you can still bring it back to the states (although they have great yards in Mexico, too). While there are too many variables in boat prices to "prove" someone wrong, it was my experience that boat pricing in Florida and California were comparable. For giggles I just looked at 40-42 foot Beneteaus, model years 2000-2004 for sale in California and Florida. The average price was within $1,000 of each other. Again, too many variables to make too much of a comparison, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a boat in California.[/QUOTE]

That is a very reasoned post about boats and California. I find it ironic that posters complain about an over regulated and overpriced CA and then proceed to elaborate about Mexico’s lack of dependable internet, poor marina infrastructure (watch the fuel and water as well), unavailability of parts (VAT in Mexico is 16%), I would add the Coast Guard in CA is phenomenal… [emoji848] wonder if theres is a correlation there??

Don’t get me wrong the Sea of Cortez and Mexico is a fantastic place to sail. But if you are willing to pay CA sales tax the big hit is done. For whatever reason you have taken a dislike to CA it arguably would be cost effective to outfit your boat and safer to get some sailing experience in CA.

It’s a pretty standard process to complete your outfit in Southern California before heading into Mexico. There is little to no support/infrastructure from Ensenada to Cabo.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 10:05   #51

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextis12 View Post
That is a very reasoned post about boats and California. I find it ironic that posters complain about an over regulated and overpriced CA and then proceed to elaborate about Mexico’s lack of dependable internet, poor marina infrastructure (watch the fuel and water as well), unavailability of parts (VAT in Mexico is 16%), I would add the Coast Guard in CA is phenomenal… [emoji848] wonder if theres is a correlation there??

Don’t get me wrong the Sea of Cortez and Mexico is a fantastic place to sail. But if you are willing to pay CA sales tax the big hit is done. For whatever reason you have taken a dislike to CA it arguably would be cost effective to outfit your boat and safer to get some sailing experience in CA.

It’s a pretty standard process to complete your outfit in Southern California before heading into Mexico. There is little to no support/infrastructure from Ensenada to Cabo.

And insurance! I had a big increase in insurance and was told it was due to coverage in Mexico. Am I the only one?
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 11:33   #52

After one year in San Carlos Mexico I glad I bought the boat in Mexico.

Marina cost just under $700 for 40' slip - electricity and water included. Security outstanding. Rescue boat available stationed in marina - call or SSB
Parts and materials can be brought from AZ - 7-8 hours drive.
Labor rate very reasonable if you get direct hire. Star Marina gave me estimate for light bottom sanding and two coats of ablative paining $1,5K - screw you guys.. I generously pay daily rate for medium quality (paining, sanding, epoxy work etc) $150. Very good diesel mechanic ($60 per hour) - hard to get him though (see "mañana"). In Guaymas (10 miles away) I have SS fabrication/mechanic shop can do anything reasonably priced.
Of course third-world country has some drawbacks.. Latino "mañana" (tomorrow) - never happens. Sometimes (especially high season) price gauging. Another aspect (my observations): Mexicans rarely plan ahead more than a few hours - max next day. If American way " I am in business to make money" - Mexican is "I am in business to make living".. A guy which did bottom job was amazing - I gave him as much job as I could afford. After adjusting my "gringo/russian" attitude I take it as reality and always search for alternative in service. A lot of asking around but if you not in rush - some day it happens.
Old 19-09-2021, 11:38   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Please talk me out of buying a sailboat in San Diego/Los Angeles

It's a ***** Hole and the boats crap..
How'd that grab ya...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 09:28   #54

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
I am almost sure the Cascade 34 you mentioned is Cascade 36. No?If it still Cascade 34 Chinook she is way old in early 70th.
No, it is a 34'. (Not the 36 called Gael Force that was listed with a broker down here, which has serious problems by the way. Don't trust the survey, it was done by the broker's surveyor.)

But , the 34' has been sold since my previous post. Abandoned by the deceased owner's son, it was sold by the marina for $3,000 to recover some of the unpaid dock fees.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 00:56   #55

Quote:
After one year in San Carlos Mexico I glad I bought the boat in Mexico.

Marina cost just under $700 for 40' slip - electricity and water included. Security outstanding. Rescue boat available stationed in marina - call or SSB
Parts and materials can be brought from AZ - 7-8 hours drive.
Labor rate very reasonable if you get direct hire. Star Marina gave me estimate for light bottom sanding and two coats of ablative paining $1,5K - screw you guys.. I generously pay daily rate for medium quality (paining, sanding, epoxy work etc) $150. Very good diesel mechanic ($60 per hour) - hard to get him though (see "mañana"). In Guaymas (10 miles away) I have SS fabrication/mechanic shop can do anything reasonably priced.
Of course third-world country has some drawbacks.. Latino "mañana" (tomorrow) - never happens. Sometimes (especially high season) price gauging. Another aspect (my observations): Mexicans rarely plan ahead more than a few hours - max next day. If American way " I am in business to make money" - Mexican is "I am in business to make living".. A guy which did bottom job was amazing - I gave him as much job as I could afford. After adjusting my "gringo/russian" attitude I take it as reality and always search for alternative in service. A lot of asking around but if you not in rush - some day it happens.
acceptable wifi?
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:32   #56

Wifi almost not existsnt.wifi over the phone works.
Old 10-02-2022, 18:51   #57

Boat: Voyager 26 MK2

Quote:
My ultimate goal is cruising in Sea of Cortez. I am in Arizona.
My job contract might expire in one month. If not, (may be another 6 months) I still able to work from anywhere in the world as long as I have reasonable Internet speed.
Looking through Mexico inventory and I don't see much.
Now looking closely at California inventory and considering buying a sailboat there. I don't like California (used to live there) and prefer to stay there with a boat I buy as little as possible. Now the question.
1. How badly am I sinking myself financially into overregulated, overpriced California boat ownership for a few months?
2. Taking the boat to Ensenada soon after purchase (I still pay use tax - I know) reasonable option? I am way under qualified for single handling to sail to Sea of Cortez - therefore I stack there until Bahaha or another opportunity to have sailing partner.
Thank you upfront!
Wait until a big hurricane hits Florida. About a month after that, boats (damaged and UNDAMAGED) are sold off like cordwood all across the eastern seaboard. Lots of folks are sitting on nice, seldom used boats that hurricanes prompt them into selling.
KGarwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, lease, sail, sailboat, san diego