Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 09:29   #16

Re: Please talk me out of buying a sailboat in San Diego/Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
This is my dilemma... Living costs, birthing cost in Socal for a few months will eat into my budget otherwise would be used for outfit a new boat if bought in Mexico. If I buy the boat now, I am stuck in Ensenada or SoCal until my job contract expires.
My 36 footer is on the hard in Ensenada right now. I had her berthed at Cruiseport for about 6 months so longer term rate. Was about $525/mo for a 40-foot slip. So about $13/ft plus electricity. Wifi is marginal. I was also at marina at Baja Naval - wifi is also lousy there. Rickety Docks, surge, and extreme wakes from fishing/tourist boats make this an unacceptable marina. Marina Coral a few miles north of town is part of a resort hotel and is very popular with gringos. Slips are a bit higher than Cruiseport but I guess you have use of pool and facilities. I prefer being closer to town so will return to Cruiseport which is walking distance.

Commuting in/out of Ensenada is non-trivial due to border crossing back into US.

Not sure how this compares to Socal. Used to be Chula Vista near SD was popular for being somewhat lower cost. Not cheap even then, but relatively affordable. But my info is dated

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:43   #17

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

fatherchronica,
The only possible problem buying boat in Mexico is TIP (Temp Importation Permit). Present TIP status easy to verify. Escrow/documentation on US soil remotely $800. Get Bill of Sale from the escrow company and go to Banjercito to close/open TIP. Yes, for years were horrible stories about TIP not closed properly in the past. You can hit such problem when you bring your boat to Mexico previously left Mexico without closing TIP... Today... this is just mater of little extra money.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
My 36 footer is on the hard in Ensenada right now. I had her berthed at Cruiseport for about 6 months so longer term rate. Was about $525/mo for a 40-foot slip. So about $13/ft plus electricity. Wifi is marginal. I was also at marina at Baja Naval - wifi is also lousy there. Rickety Docks, surge, and extreme wakes from fishing/tourist boats make this an unacceptable marina. Marina Coral a few miles north of town is part of a resort hotel and is very popular with gringos. Slips are a bit higher than Cruiseport but I guess you have use of pool and facilities. I prefer being closer to town so will return to Cruiseport which is walking distance.

Commuting in/out of Ensenada is non-trivial due to border crossing back into US.

Not sure how this compares to Socal. Used to be Chula Vista near SD was popular for being somewhat lower cost. Not cheap even then, but relatively affordable. But my info is dated

Good luck

Peter
Thank you for Ensenada info, Peter.
I guess my first bet would be Ensenada - not SoCal. For work internet... I guess I can just buy one or pay any local business to use their's. I can even rent office space.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:21   #19

Quote:
Thank you for Ensenada info, Peter.
I guess my first bet would be Ensenada - not SoCal. For work internet... I guess I can just buy one or pay any local business to use their's. I can even rent office space.
I work remote so Internet is top of my list. And I like to travel - I spend several months of the year in the Yucatan region - sort of a part-time adult version of a digital nomad. Tethering off my cell phone (Verizon) works pretty well in much of the Yucatan via Telcel. It is more spotty in Ensenada where I often pickup Moviestar. For Verizon's most expensive plan, I get 500mb/day of international roaming, which usually runs out sometime around lunch time. An extra 500mb is $5 for the day which would be great if it worked. As my boat is under construction, I get an AirBnB place, which are pretty cheap.

I have a WAVE wifi amplifier on my boat and still had issues at both Cruiseport and Baja Naval. I have no knowledge of Marina Coral's internet, but the hotel should have decent wifi in their common areas. There is a Starbucks in town. The internet cafe's are pretty crowded so would not work for me. I have checked into We-Work type office space in other parts of Mexico, but the hours were awful for me - opened at 9AM which is way too late for me to start a work day since some of my clients are in Europe.

Bottom line: if you need internet for work, better figure it out before you bring your boat down - Marina Coral would be my first thought so would try to find folks there. I can tell you from experience that trying to work with intermittent internet is incredibly stressful for me. Yea, my clients know I work remote, but I don't think they'd be sympathetic the reason connection sucks is I'm on a beach in Tulum and the generators shut down or something, so I try to keep it on the down-low. And that was before current crush of Zoom/Teams video calls. I use Ookla.com to check speed and latency. I've had many instances where speed was fine but latency is off-the-charts high (above 100ms or so starts to get sketchy for voice, and certainly for video).

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:04   #20

Thanks, Peter for the details.
Since I am on exit road after 10+ years serving to my employer my workload is very easy - mostly email monitoring and one-two phone calls per day.
I think I even can get away with ATT/cricket mobile plan. Only on rare occurrences I need high speed connection on remote desktop - unfortunate when it happens it is urgent.
Old 01-06-2020, 13:32   #21

Boat: Norseman 400

The Sea of Cortez is an amazing place to refresh your sailing and boating skills. From La Paz, all the anchorages are day hops. Crystal clear water, white sand beaches. lol The typical dream.

There are a lot of boats in the La Paz area that are for sale, but are not listed on Yachtworld or with other brokerages. The prices is too cheap for the broker to make any money bases on % of sale. Most of them are projects, some worse than others. I know of a little 34 foot Cascade that's in fairly decent shape. Slip rent in card-lock marina is around $475 per month and includes electric, water (non-potable), garbage, wifi. Gated parking is $60 per month.

Book a flight and come down to poke around for a while - well, after June 15 when they open up the city again.

After listening to everyone complain about California, I'd never buy there or take our boat there.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 13:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Here is a good boat for sale in LaPaz. The broker is Rich Boren, a member of this site. It is not in any way a project and a great design.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...ruiserssupply&
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 13:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
The Sea of Cortez is an amazing place to refresh your sailing and boating skills. From La Paz, all the anchorages are day hops. Crystal clear water, white sand beaches. lol The typical dream.

There are a lot of boats in the La Paz area that are for sale, but are not listed on Yachtworld or with other brokerages. The prices is too cheap for the broker to make any money bases on % of sale. Most of them are projects, some worse than others. I know of a little 34 foot Cascade that's in fairly decent shape.

Book a flight and come down to poke around for a while - well, after June 15 when they open up the city again.

After listening to everyone complain about California, I'd never buy there or take our boat there.
Good point made on CA. I might drive to San Carlos then drive back to Hermosillo and fly to La Paz from Hermosillo.
I don't like La Paz as long term base because long, long drive for me. Parts supply is an issue. Definitely not for a project boat buy.
I am almost sure the Cascade 34 you mentioned is Cascade 36. No?
If it still Cascade 34 Chinook she is way old in early 70th.
Old 01-06-2020, 13:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Here is a good boat for sale in LaPaz. The broker is Rich Boren, a member of this site. It is not in any way a project and a great design.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...ruiserssupply&
Bob Perry my favorite designer and he is still providing consulting services. Great guy.
This one outside of my buying power for now and little too much for a single guy. I would stay within 35-37 feet even something like 30th like Baba or Cape Dory.
Old 01-06-2020, 15:08   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO35

I just bought a Jeanneau SO35 a year ago and had it transported down to Mexico. I purchased in Texas because the price was much better and boats in Texas and SE have air conditioning which is a must in the Sea of Cortez. If you want to talk about getting a boat for the Sea of Cortez contact me and I can give you the information I learned while looking at most all options. I am in Tucson and my boat is in Penasco.
jbrooksbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 16:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooksbar View Post
I just bought a Jeanneau SO35 a year ago and had it transported down to Mexico. I purchased in Texas because the price was much better and boats in Texas and SE have air conditioning which is a must in the Sea of Cortez. If you want to talk about getting a boat for the Sea of Cortez contact me and I can give you the information I learned while looking at most all options. I am in Tucson and my boat is in Penasco.
Greatly appreciated your help offer! I will ping you.
Old 01-06-2020, 17:14   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 feet

For both local Sea of Cortez knowledge and a sailing refresher, you might want to check out "Sail San Carlos" which is an ASA certified school. The owner, Vince, is a very knowledgeable sailor and interesting to talk to. Also, when in San Carlos, you could checkout several boats for sale in the San Carlos/Guaymas area. (Of course check out the feasibility of international travel and safety issues related to present pandemic prior to going anywhere.)

sailsancarlos.com
Sailing7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 17:47   #28

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
I don't like La Paz as long term base because long, long drive for me. Parts supply is an issue. Definitely not for a project boat buy. I am almost sure the Cascade 34 you mentioned is Cascade 36. No? If it still Cascade 34 Chinook she is way old in early 70s.
I stand corrected. I went to the boat and actually looked at the paperwork. It's a 29' Cascade. (It looked bigger, sorry about that. Didn't mean to waste your time.) 1974 on the paperwork. Surprisingly clean inside. Sails are stored inside and look to be in great shape. You could pick it up for less than $10,000. Let me know if you want pictures. The TIP expired last month and needs to be renewed. The owner passed away and his son in the Pacific Northwest is selling it.

Flights from the western US to Cabo are cheap - in the $300 per round trip range. Then it's the EcoBaja Tour bus from Cabo to La Paz. Easy peasy. We do it every year.

Parts are available if you know where to look. Also, shipping to Mexico is changing rapidly for the better.

Every time we come back from the US, our carry-on or checked bags are stuffed with things that are cheaper in the US than in Mexico. Like 5200. Once we brought back an entire Groco Model K head. Not a single problem or tax ever. But, maybe we were just lucky. Now watch, next time we'll get nailed for the tax.

Anyway, good luck in your search. Cheers.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 18:32   #29

Thank you Sailor647!
Old 01-06-2020, 21:06   #30

Boat: Islander 44

I am living/working on my boat in Cabrales boat yard in Puerto Penasco mx. There are three or four boats for sale here. Yes mine is one, but I am living on it and having second thoughts. Since you are fairly close I thought I should let you know that my space rent here on my Islander 44 is $176.00 month and that includes live aboard, of which there is no extra charge. In the summer if I use the air conditioning the rent is increased $20.00 a month, making it $196.00 per month.
Unfortunately we are on lock down at this time and borders are closed.
I hear a lot of people here saying how people need to buy small and move up in size in steps. Well let me say this. I bought my Islander 44 at Moss Landing Ca. Before I had a clue about how to sail. I motored it with another person to Newport Or. Worked on it for two years, during which time I sailed it out twice for a total of 15 hrs to learn the basics. I then sailed with a friend who was very experianced out of Newport Or. Headed for Mx. We had a 7 day window, but a storm came out of nowhere and we were 3 days and nights in 50 to 65 knot winds with 24 to26 ft breaking seas. We had to return to Newport for repairs, he stayed there and I left For Mx a week later and single handed to la Paz.
I have single handed my Islander in The Sea of Cortez for the past 9+ years. That sir is the honest to Gods truth. Also I was ignorant as a newbe and followed arm chair sailors advice about what I needed to have. Well that cost me a lot of money for useless un-needed equipment that I had to sell for pennies on the dollar. My point is "do your own research and be careful who you believe". There are a lot of people out there that love to frivally spend other peoples money.
EX Wanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, lease, sail, sailboat, san diego