Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 17:24   #46

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: Pacific North West Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Bear spray for shore exploring
We have never used a stern anchor in 30+ years on Puget Sound. I use an all-chain rode and oversized anchor.

I prefer a larger dingy for travel and exploring, but that is a personal preference. I always like the larger, faster dingy. Carry a dingy anchor and set it much higher on the beach than the dingy. If the dingy is dry you can usually drag it to the water. Many places have dingy docks.

I have never locked my dingy or my boat in Puget Sound. But cities have all kinds of people and security is a personal choice.

I have not traveled the Inside Passage and very little into Canada. But I worked in many remote areas of Southeast Alaska.
Black bears are timid creatures and avoid places with humans - unless you go north of the San Juan Islands and into wilder areas of the Inside Passage - Canada to Alaska. Black bears are not aggressive and Brown bears (Grizzly) probably will not be stopped with spray.

There are no poisonous snakes near the coast. In fact, there is no dangerous wildlife unless you corner or provoke something like a civet cat (spotted skunk) or raccoon.
Wharf rats are always a concern but most docks have bait out and they should not be a problem.

Mosquitos are a world-wide problem and a nuisance, but there is no malaria or other mosquito-carried danger. Spray your screens and hatch areas to discourage them from exploiting little cracks or holes in your screens. Have long sleeves and long pants available for evenings.

Be prepared for tidal changes of 15 feet or more, and over 30 feet in Alaska. Never anchor in 10 feet of water unless you KNOW it is low tide.
Anchoring is usually in mud bottom and holding is usually good.

Winds are usually either too strong or too light and you might motor more than usual. It seems like wind is always either on the nose or non-existent. And if we had enough wind to sail, the direction changed often.

The entire Puget Sound is full of delightful coves and places to explore. Go through the second-largest locks in the world and visit fresh-water Lake Union in Seattle.

Southeast Alaska is beyond delightful.
People are generally friendly and generous of heart.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 17:48   #47

If you can, go to Haida Gwai. Sail down to Skang Gwaii. It feels like you are at the edge of the earth. You’ll see the last remnants of the village where amazing people lived. It’s all returning to the earth - your grandchildren won’t have the opportunity. The beauty is profound. There’s a reason it is a UNESCO world heritage site. Talk to the watchmen. Touch your soul.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:02   #48

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I think you'll find the PNW such beautiful cruising grounds, I suggest you take your time and soak it in where ever you are. Between the Gulf Islands and Haida Gwaii there are literally thousands of anchorages that are good for a day or two at least of hiking, crabbing, clamming, fishing, etc, or just relaxing. Why rush it? I leave every summer with no real plan in mind except to head north for a month or two. I second Barkley Sound as a destination. Desolation Sound in the summer is anything but desolate. Not a fan. Just too many boats, people...What ever you do, it will be beautiful and you will want to come back, guaranteed...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:20   #49
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Black bears are not aggressive and Brown bears (Grizzly) probably will not be stopped with spray.
Matter of fact, spray is a hundred times more effective on all bears than any gun, guaranteed. I’ve shot griz’s and taken out the heart and bottom of the lungs and still had them run a mile on pure adrenaline. Spray does not kick in the flight or fight that comes from endorphins release when an animal is wounded. For them (smell sensory 2000x that of people and bear spray is like putting haberbero hot sauce in your eyes, nose while aspirating, yes I’ve tasted it and been sprayed) when I’m cleaning a moose on the side of a river in the dark, I have spray on my hip and my rifle close by. I grew up on the west coast and the north and have been fishing and hunting in bear country since I could walk. I’ve known very competent hunters that have been mauled before they could get their rifle off their shoulder. Fact is most coastal bears are benign compared to their inland cousins, lots of food on the coast so they are less territorial but they are also anything but predictable and don’t assume anything with them, treat them with respect.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
[In fact, further north, Canada requires we carry a long gun for personal protection from wildlife.]

This is untrue... we have no such requirement.

Please...no one needs protection from our animals anywhere on BC's Pacific coast.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:44   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post

Please...no one needs protection from our animals anywhere on BC's Pacific coast.
Only in Polar Bear areas.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:49   #52

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Have a look at this website and contact them with any questions. https://svviolethour.com/
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 20:01   #53
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post

This can be a requirement for commercial enterprises operating in remote locations with employees or guiding the public, but not always. It is not a requirement for private individuals. It was deemed a requirement a few years back when an employee was killed and the courts found the employer negligent for not supplying adequate protection for the employee (rifle, spray and working in pairs) for that specific job (believe they were test drilling for diamonds) but it is up to ohs/wcb as to when and where it applies.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 22:50   #54

Boat: Coast 30

Please do not even consider shooting our bears unless it is with a camera.

Great Bear Rainforest

The lush, sacred, 21 million acre Great Bear Rainforest, of B.C. Pacific Northwest, Canada, was created and named by environmental groups and First Nations Groups (whom also coined the name “Spirit Bear”) in the mid 90s, was set aside as the largest protected temperate rainforest in the world, to prevent logging and housing developments from encroaching further on bear’s territories, also giving complete protection to the rare Kermode Spirit Bear, making it illegal to shoot the White Bear.
This prime, coastal wilderness now teems with salmon and spirit bears!
Image Credit: savethegreatbear.org

The majestic Great Bear Rainforest was formed after years of conflict, protests and negotiations;
“The 2006 agreement between the BC government and a wide coalition of conservationists, loggers, hunters, and First Nations established a series of conservancies stretching 400 kilometres (250 mi) along the coast.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 23:17   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
We have never used a stern anchor in 30+ years on Puget Sound. I use an all-chain rode and oversized anchor.

I prefer a larger dingy for travel and exploring, but that is a personal preference. I always like the larger, faster dingy. Carry a dingy anchor and set it much higher on the beach than the dingy. If the dingy is dry you can usually drag it to the water. Many places have dingy docks.

I have never locked my dingy or my boat in Puget Sound. But cities have all kinds of people and security is a personal choice.

I have not traveled the Inside Passage and very little into Canada. But I worked in many remote areas of Southeast Alaska.
Black bears are timid creatures and avoid places with humans - unless you go north of the San Juan Islands and into wilder areas of the Inside Passage - Canada to Alaska. Black bears are not aggressive and Brown bears (Grizzly) probably will not be stopped with spray.

There are no poisonous snakes near the coast. In fact, there is no dangerous wildlife unless you corner or provoke something like a civet cat (spotted skunk) or raccoon.
Wharf rats are always a concern but most docks have bait out and they should not be a problem.

Mosquitos are a world-wide problem and a nuisance, but there is no malaria or other mosquito-carried danger. Spray your screens and hatch areas to discourage them from exploiting little cracks or holes in your screens. Have long sleeves and long pants available for evenings.

Be prepared for tidal changes of 15 feet or more, and over 30 feet in Alaska. Never anchor in 10 feet of water unless you KNOW it is low tide.
Anchoring is usually in mud bottom and holding is usually good.

Winds are usually either too strong or too light and you might motor more than usual. It seems like wind is always either on the nose or non-existent. And if we had enough wind to sail, the direction changed often.

The entire Puget Sound is full of delightful coves and places to explore. Go through the second-largest locks in the world and visit fresh-water Lake Union in Seattle.

Southeast Alaska is beyond delightful.
People are generally friendly and generous of heart.
if you want to spend a night anchored in apple tree cove you will use a stern anchor if you want to sleep . Anchoring bow and stern with bow pointed at about 45° magnetic . Otherwise the freighter wakes and ferry wakes will toss you right out of your bunk.
BTDT.
Kingston is a great little town to explore . Be sure to see a movie at the firehouse theatre. It is a locally owned theatre inside of a remodeled fire station. The owner is generous with the popcorn. The marina is top notch with great well maintained services .
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59   #56

Boat: Gulf 32

Previous poster mentioned racoons, it's a good reminder. Many places in San Juans and Gulfs (at least, haven't been farther north yet) you have to be very careful about not leaving ANYTHING out and keeping your hatches and ports closed. We have had a racoon get INTO our boat (fortunately he went right out the way he came in when we woke up) at Jones Island (on the dock) and routinely seem them on other boats there, and we hear them running around on our deck all night at Conover Cove on Wallace (definitely stop there) when we're on the dock there.

As far as stern tying goes, remember that it's not always just out of necessity but also out of courtesy. Definitely a decent number of places you can get 3-4 boats into a little book if they all stern tie, if one person just bow anchors in the middle of the cove then no one else can get in there. Yes it's cozy, but you will be in the area for the busiest months (July and August).
Old 07-12-2018, 08:51   #57

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Previous poster mentioned racoons, it's a good reminder. Many places in San Juans and Gulfs (at least, haven't been farther north yet) you have to be very careful about not leaving ANYTHING out and keeping your hatches and ports closed. We have had a racoon get INTO our boat (fortunately he went right out the way he came in when we woke up) at Jones Island (on the dock) and routinely seem them on other boats there, and we hear them running around on our deck all night at Conover Cove on Wallace (definitely stop there) when we're on the dock there.
Downtown Victoria, about 1 am after I chased them off the boat... cheeky buggers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5882.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	181787  
Old 07-12-2018, 09:16   #58

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Downtown Victoria, about 1 am after I chased them off the boat... cheeky buggers.

Whoa!! We got harassed by otters at the Causeway, but never 'coons.

Wonder who gave them the gate code?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:45   #59

I spent two seasons from April to October on the B.C. and Alaska coasts. The best cruising and best fishing and crabbing is north of Vancouver Island - the more remote the better.
The Douglas Guides are the best for remote anchoring, Wagoners for marina and fuel stops.

Fishing poles and crab traps are essential for fully enjoying the area.
Sailing is nearly impossible, as the wind changes when passing every mountain and island and inlet. To make the high volume current slack times you must motor to a schedule.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19   #60

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You might want to check out the Youtube videos of "Life is like Sailing". RCMP officer that knows the West Coast very well.
+1. I've enjoyed his videos and were going to post too.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote