Old 24-08-2016, 15:10   #16

Re: Mobile networks -SE Australia

The $40/ mth Boost plan includes all calls & 7gb data
Crocboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 15:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Our deal with Boost is 40 AUD/mo for 5 gigabytes plus 1 extra gigabyte each weekend, plus unlimited calls and text in Australia and unlimited calls/texts to 10 other countries, including USA, NZ, UK and some others of little interest to me. They have a couple of other deals, see their site.

We broke down and bought (from them) an Alcatel smart phone for 79 AUD and are using it as a local hotspot on the boat. Seems to work pretty well... only criticism is hard to read screen in full sunlight. All in all, a way better deal than 180 Aud for 12 gigs from Telstra, no phone, so had to maintain a separate phone prepaid.

Cheers,

Jim
Yes, don't get between Telstra and a bucket of money. However, I think you will find that their current wireless bigpond broadband is now $140 for 16GB and runs for two years. Still a bit outrageous, but an improvement on the $180/12 GB/12 months deal.. You still need to buy the dongle. Not sure what they want for one. Probably about $100. True, no phone, but could use Skype within the bigpond broadband. Coverage? Australia is a big place very sparsely populated so checking with Telstra is essential. However, Telstra usually has the best coverage.

More to the point is the absence of a dedicated Wi-Fi service in most Australian marinas.
In Darwin where nearly all of the international cruisers stop over, the marinas (all lock gated due to the large tide range) offer nothing, or long term subscriptions via private companies...unless there have been recent improvements.
Many years ago, Telstra operated a VHF phone service which used the normal VHF radios of the day. The VHF units of the day had dial pads. People used these for all sorts of phone messaging events. Emergencies or international calls. But they could not sell you ads. so the service was withdrawn. That's progress. The HF service has also essentially folded as well. Gee, just rush out and buy a satellite phone. Now these are seriously expensive!
Cheers.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 16:17   #18

Boat: Compass 28

A 6db antenna and induction cradle will give you great reception on your smart phone. The cradle keeps your phone safe, dry, charged and findable, and if you get a ciggie-lighter one, you can also use it in your car.

I've used this on several Bass Strait cruises and had more coverage (Telstra) with phone than with VHF.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 19:36   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This is what I use when out and about in Oz for inet..... OOOPs.. https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-ph...usb-wi-fi-plus

My Telstra phone plan gives me 1 gig a month so I hotspot that before I use the stick.

$10-15 a gig seems to be the norm for prepay in oz/nz/chile.

I have only once found decent free 'marina' wifi... Pto Williams. Everywhere else they either want money or its crap or both.....
Old 24-08-2016, 22:40   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

The Optus prepaid internet is A$130 for 22GB and 24 months network access which works out as A$5.91/GB so that part does not look to bad. I use about 5GB a month so roughly A$30 month for internet access. I don't know what I am spending on the Telstra mobile as I can't access the system to find out because I have had the account from before they had internet access but I am guessing I would recharge at least twice a year and sometimes up to four times at A$100 per recharge so I would definitely be well ahead on the Boost deal. Thanks Jim.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, mob