Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 05:08   #1

Lightbulb Can I Connect 2 NMEA2000 Networks using Garmin Marine network?

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance to any conventional rules that you use in here.

I have there garmin 4212 chartplotters, two in the main cabin and one in the flybridge. They are all connected to a garmin radar and a garmin fishfinder via a garmin marine network expander. The chartplotter on the flybridge is connected to a GPS 17x NMEA 2000 receiver. GPS data, Chart data, Radar, and depth are available at all screens with no problem.

I added a heading sensor (AIRMAR H2183 NEMA 2000 cable) (certified by Garmin) to one of the chartplotters in the main cabin via a seperate NMEA 2000 network... "This NMEA 2000 network is not connected to the GPS NMEA 2000 network on the flybridge"

Heading information appears on all three plotters but I lose GPS signal on the two plotters in the main cabin. It seems like there is a conflict of addressing or something of that sort.

Is there anyway that I can resolve this issue?? Hopefully without having to run NEMA 2000 cable from the flybridge to the main cabin.

Would it be helpful if i installed another GPS receiver down in the main cabin with the heading sensor temporarily to resolve addressing issues? (Wild guess)

Any Help is sincerely appreciated.
Regards
Mike
The_Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 07:03   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Can I Connect 2 NMEA2000 Networks using Garmin Marine network?

Mu understanding ( I have a similar system) is that the NMEA 2000 can only go into one of the Garmin units on the GMN. i.e. the same one. You can't have separate NMEA 2000 networks one, on each chart plotter and then correctly replicate over the GMN. This was based on a conversation with a Garmin tech a few years ago, and its what I did.

It may be different now, but after reading your post, I don't think so.

Dave
Old 21-05-2012, 07:46   #3

Re: Can I Connect 2 NMEA2000 Networks using Garmin Marine network?

Thanks for your comments.

I might have to move the GPS receiver to the main cabin with the heading sensor and have just one NMEA 2000 network connected to one plotter... Hopefully that will solve the problem.
I will try that..
Regards
Mike
The_Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, marine